Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting. The earlier rendering showed windows all the way across and down the north side, so I was a bit confused on what happened. Hopefully they'll do something interesting/nice with it (and not just a giant blank wall).

Joe

Maybe I misread your post, but according to the print that giant blank wall is the portion of the building that makes contact with the theatre building.  We shouldn't see it at all.

28 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Maybe I misread your post, but according to the print that giant blank wall is the portion of the building that makes contact with the theatre building.  We shouldn't see it at all.

No, not the wall that Joe is talking about.

Here's what they're saying. The Northeast corner of the building has changed from original drawings, and appears to either be "part" of the theatre or at least the theatre is going to do something with that facade to give them "frontage" on Ionia Avenue.  It's only a blank wall in the drawing because the hotel architect has turned it over to the theatre architect.  Based on the fact that it looks like a big rectangular box, I would bet it will be part of the theatre, and my intuition tells me an IMAX theatre or something similar.  I do agree that I hope it's not a big blank wall with Celebration Cinema or IMAX on it, and that they add architectural details to tie it in to the hotel. 

That's quite the coup for that hotel if they're directly attached to the theatre without having to go outside. Will make for a great staycation spot for those long dreary winter days of February and March.  Even if you do have to go outside it's right around the corner (no wearing your pajamas to the movie theatre). :)

The whole reason this is coming out this week is that they're seeking approval for a rooftop bar, which you can see on that blurry floorplan at the North end of the roof. 

5adc8826812f1_Canopytheatre.thumb.jpg.81ffab3fdc3b00cf8bb836a36b6e5ecf.jpg

This was the original rendering the hotel provided:

5a4e3a377f72d_CanopybyHilton2.jpg.5a8ec5

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, arcturus said:

It does a great job capturing our awesome weather we're know for.  Outdoor seating in February will be hard to find.

<_< No but people don't use a lot of parks in February... Doesn't mean we shouldn't have them. Can still be very enjoyable use of space from April- October. Also could be used on New Year,  Christmas, and other winter events.   I give this project a 9.5/10 overall.

• Like 2