Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

https://fox17online.com/2019/02/21/downtown-theater-project-reaches-new-milestone/

"GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Studio Park project in downtown Grand Rapids reached another milestone Thursday.  Crews Thursday laid the concrete on six floors of the newly constructed parking tower, which brings nearly 1,000 new parking spaces to downtown Grand Rapids.  The project includes a new movie theater, hotel and apartments.  Construction is expected to wrap up in the fall."

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=3889&Inline=True

If anyone has the ambition and time, they would be more than welcome to go through next month's Planning Commission agenda packet and pull out some of the updated renderings for Studio Park. I'm too lazy. :tw_lol: 

I actually like the updates to the office building (though still conceptual I'm sure) and I for one am glad they reigned in the amount of brick/material colors on the apartments to just one.  All in all I still can't believe this project is happening and it gives me butterflies to think about how different downtown will feel once it is all open! 

• Like 2

Off topic question that makes me sound as knowledgeable as an elementary student....

why don’t they build some sort of removeable (or if possible automatic retractable) roof over the sidewalks and roads throughout DT. Something like a see through plastic slopes roof. The money saved from salt/road repair/accidents should cover the cost not to mention the accessibility of sidewalks for people... seems like something worth doing. What am I missing with this idea? Please don’t mock me hahahahah

6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Looks like it's all related to signage. Have to say I love the batman projection (I'm a sign nerd and like all things projected). :)

Joe

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 12.57.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 12.57.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 12.58.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 12.59.53 PM.png

Every time I go by there on 131, I feel like the base of the "future" residential tower is getting pretty tall. And it doesn't seem like a big enough footprint for parking. Somewhat confusing to me. It certainly won't take much of a tower on top of it to get pretty tall for that area of downtown. Even our favorite 12 story GR design will make it taller than Arena Place by a long shot. 

So it looks like the hotel is almost topped out then?  :( 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Every time I go by there on 131, I feel like the base of the "future" residential tower is getting pretty tall. And it doesn't seem like a big enough footprint for parking. Somewhat confusing to me. It certainly won't take much of a tower on top of it to get pretty tall for that are of downtown. Even our favorite 12 story GR design will make it taller than Arena Place by a long shot. 

I'm assuming you're referring to the NW part of the project?  I thought that was part of the ramp and they were planning on squeezing a building b/w the ramp and Oakes

10 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

So it looks like the hotel is almost topped out then?  :( 

I'm assuming you're referring to the NW part of the project?  I thought that was part of the ramp and they were planning on squeezing a building b/w the ramp and Oakes

Yes that's the part I'm referring to but it's the base of the future residential tower based on the site plans. I assumed it was a continuation of the ramp but it's starting to not look like part of the ramp.There will also be an offics building along Oakes that hasn't started yet. 

Surprised there haven't been more detailed plans on the city's site.

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yes that's the part I'm referring to but it's the base of the future residential tower based on the site plans. I assumed it was a continuation of the ramp but it's starting to not look like part of the ramp.There will also be an offics building along Oakes that hasn't started yet. 

Surprised there haven't been more detailed plans on the city's site.

I saw that myself and wondered if the ramp will slope up to it, but the base portion of the future tower will have flat parking spaces? It seems like the south west side is where a can see sloped parking decks?

Joe

1 hour ago, mielsonwheels said:

image.thumb.png.8e022af4fc2bca5ac16de180ab3885fe.png

Here is the drawing showing the future tower phase would be built over the north section of the parking ramp, independent of the office building that would line Oakes. (north is pointing to the right in the drawing)

Thanks! Here's a picture of that area.

20190301_103343.thumb.jpg.6dcd88c89b88f90f327bb4e6c1f7f2e1.jpg

20190301_103347.thumb.jpg.8d875dcb8a59d340dfb778b1121341ec.jpg

And looking up Oakes.

20190301_103357.thumb.jpg.9d4ed082d16a6d971b0e623d8933a0ea.jpg

• Like 2

I would love to see the parking lot south of the arena get liner buildings with a potential parking ramp / large loading/unloading area for the arena. The whole are would be completely transformed. Never thought that area of Oakes would feel like a  "real" city block. :)

Joe

• Like 3

If we are looking at a 2019 opening, then we have to be less than ~90 days away from permit submissions for some of the retail/F&B tenant build-outs, correct?  Have there been any tenant announcements at all?  

Edited by GRain

4 hours ago, GRain said:

If we are looking at a 2019 opening, then we have to be less than ~90 days away from permit submissions for some of the retail/F&B tenant build-outs, correct?  Have there been any tenant announcements at all?  

I haven't seen anything in the permits yet. 

As to Floyd's question about the hotel being topped out, it appears they're working on the 6th floor of 8 floors. 

Pictures from my car = I know, lame. :P

20190301_154408.thumb.jpg.a0d4245c107c6953ad39e2f6485b425d.jpg

20190301_154504.thumb.jpg.71fe1048684f3040d33d8ddf60167857.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 11:14 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I'm liking all of these different facade angles. And the scale of the residential tower compared to Arena Place and 131. 

1786110745_StudioParkfacades.thumb.JPG.9067e6580787dee59b19123de74acf59.JPG

1864513468_StudioParkListeningRoom.JPG.db501ffcd4350881e0edb2592827a026.JPG

1377593307_StudioParkresidentialtower.thumb.JPG.1b43282a296d2b89e95b12c2ade45c1c.JPG

1902280710_StudioPark131view.thumb.JPG.d8083c5c7f42e19013e4077c4ddad518.JPG

If that's the direction they go in with the tower, it's looking like the design will have much more in common with the hotel than with the residential buildings on each side of the theater entrance. 

Canopy-by-Hilton-2.jpg

40 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Thanks, GVSUChris!   I particularly like this one.  This "alley" makes this project fell more organic as if these buildings were built at different times, and offers street interest.  

4B5195F1-4C0B-41C0-8CE2-1891E91B2A30.thumb.jpeg.4d65ef754d9af3bdf4e5e75ddd4eb61e.jpeg

Pictures don't even do justice to how cool it feels. Like, I just stood there for a second amazed that something this unique and different will be in Grand Rapids. One of my first thoughts was "I can't wait to walk through here with friends when they visit GR. (Assuming there will be good ground floor users!) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Pictures don't even do justice to how cool it feels. Like, I just stood there for a second amazed that something this unique and different will be in Grand Rapids. One of my first thoughts was "I can't wait to walk through here with friends when they visit GR. (Assuming there will be good ground floor users!) 

Take them out the alley behind San Chez to Stella's, then from Stella's through the alley out to Ionia, to this alley to a different place. Mind.blown. 

• Like 2