Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Update and updated rendering on the office portion. I actually really like it.

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/take-two-30-million-office-development-proposed-for-studio-park

I agree I like it a lot.  Though it's a bit of a misnomer for them to call this an office tower.  So phase II will be the office and apartment tower behind....  Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Update and updated rendering on the office portion. I actually really like it.

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/take-two-30-million-office-development-proposed-for-studio-park02763c626104c33101b84b3e45725d69_XL.jpg

My goodness...It's borderline...dare I saw it...perfect. Granted, it's still a rectangular box, but at least it has some substance to it. This is well executed and I hope it actually goes through. The tower is also going to be a nice compliment.  Minus the random boxes, I really like it.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:39 AM, mpchicago said:

I agree the Franklin Partners building was unlike anything GR currently has (full transparent glass).   Maybe the cost per square foot was too much for the market to bear. and with a less expensive building, they can attract more tenants, with lower rents?   

Looks like I was on to something.  Quote from today's Press:

David Wiener, a senior vice president a Colliers, said “What Franklin Partners was proposing was not a West Michigan type of a project,” he said. “It was trying to take a Chicago type of a building and Chicag- type pricing and put it into our market.” He said the new concept is in line with West Michigan commercial real estate leasing rates. Price per-square-foot is expected to total $29.95, he said. “Franklin’s project was not priced within the market,” he said. “It was too expensive. It didn’t fit in our market.”

Building size will depend on interest, and will only begin when they have found tenant(s):

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/04/plans-renewed-for-30m-studio-park-office-building-in-grand-rapids.html

I really like it. I bet they’ll have no problem finding tenants. Great location, a plethora of parking. 

I think what Franklin was trying to do was ambitious (lure a suburban HQ downtown at a very high price point). I loved their design, but this is a nice alternative.

Two thumbs up. 

Joe

On 4/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, GRLaker said:

My goodness...It's borderline...dare I saw it...perfect. Granted, it's still a rectangular box, but at least it has some substance to it. This is well executed and I hope it actually goes through. The tower is also going to be a nice compliment.  Minus the random boxes, I really like it.

Does anyone happen to know the proposed height on this?

9 minutes ago, jthrasher said:

The rendering looks much taller than that.  Is that 70ft. from the ground or from the top of what the tower is built on? 

I'm just making an educated guess. 12-15' tall for the first floor retail, then 10-12' tall for each floor above. 

I would say that the residential tower base has one more floor to go from this picture and that will give you your approximate height of the office building. 

20190301_103357.thumb.jpg.9d4ed082d16a6d

And in the rendering it shows it one floor taller than the residential building, currently under construction

02763c626104c33101b84b3e45725d69_XL.jpg&

• Like 1

If it's office and steel, you are likely looking at no less than 13' floor to floor for office floors. You can get away with slightly lower in concrete, around 12' and still get 9' ceiling heights. Modern retail prefers 16' floor to floor and spaces lower than 14' can be harder to lease (at least in hot markets). So if I had to guess we are talking 75' minimum to as tall as 85'

• Like 2

Does the pedestrian way that will run from Fulton, down past the arena, and into the heart of Studio Park have a name? If not, should it get one? 

Relatedly, does the walkway between Venue Tower and 50 Monroe have a name? That was the historic location of Ferry Street, so maybe something related to that?

10 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Does the pedestrian way that will run from Fulton, down past the arena, and into the heart of Studio Park have a name? If not, should it get one? 

Relatedly, does the walkway between Venue Tower and 50 Monroe have a name? That was the historic location of Ferry Street, so maybe something related to that?

I think it should. Let's work on it. 

19 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

The alley/pedestrian way that runs from Fulton down to Studio Park: how about "Depot Alley." We were just all talking about the train depot that used to take up that entire area. 

Although some people might read that as "De Pot Alley" ie, cannabis central. :)

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The alley/pedestrian way that runs from Fulton down to Studio Park: how about "Depot Alley." We were just all talking about the train depot that used to take up that entire area. 

Although some people might read that as "De Pot Alley" ie, cannabis central. :)

A great time to start a pot truck industry!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I’ve always thought they should add more emphasis to the alley next to the arena. Maybe add brighter/nicer lighting, heat lamps, and aff 5-10 small rental “sheds” along the Arena side (like downtown market w/ shorter rental periods) with a mix of units w/ kitchens and retail. It would allow entrepreneurs to experiment a bit with changing venues and menus (a bit of an incubator). They could also have a few spots for good trucks or temporary custom builds (I could envision a brewery doing something more interesting and custom). 

Make it an all year venue with fire pits and warming sheds in the winter. And build nice, heated public restrooms (some of this could be attached to the arena?)  

It would also be great to see some of the Ionia street restaurants build off the back so both sides were active, with patios or decks.  I know the logistics would be tough as the dumpsters, etc. are out there, but we’ve put a man on the moon, we could figure it out. :)

Joe

It would be hard to pull off sheerly because all warmer months that alley reeks of dumpsters, on top of the homeless who use that alley as a public bathroom...

6 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

It would be hard to pull off sheerly because all warmer months that alley reeks of dumpsters, on top of the homeless who use that alley as a public bathroom...

Speaking of homelessness: has there been any public discussion about homelessness and the Hilton/Studio Park and how it will be handled by Mel Trotter and/or the police?  Unfortunately, once you get to Cherry and below (i.e. right on top of the Hilton), the problem gets so acute that it is reminiscent of many part of San Francisco.   Is it going to be business as usual regarding the homeless problem and therefore they are going to let hundreds of out of towners wade through a  particularly dense area of panhandling/public-urination/etc.? 

11 minutes ago, GRain said:

Speaking of homelessness: has there been any public discussion about homelessness and the Hilton/Studio Park and how it will be handled by Mel Trotter and/or the police?  Unfortunately, once you get to Cherry and below (i.e. right on top of the Hilton), the problem gets so acute that it is reminiscent of many part of San Francisco.   Is it going to be business as usual regarding the homeless problem and therefore they are going to let hundreds of out of towners wade through a  particularly dense area of panhandling/public-urination/etc.? 

Interesting timing. This special came out recently by KOMO News in Seattle and has everybody talking. Our ExperienceGR President even made a comment that he's heard places like Seattle, San Francisco and other big cities are losing convention business because convention goers don't feel safe.  

https://komonews.com/news/local/komo-news-special-seattle-is-dying

• Like 2