Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

I'm actually relieved that the SW lot is where this would go.

It will create some much needed continuity between the transit center/Founders area and the central DT area, and may even bump up transit usage. It will certainly be the kick in the pants needed to spur development of the rest of the parking lots (especially on Grandville) as well as fill in some gaps in the street wall on Iona.

I'm almost wondering if this will have a big an impact on the area as the Arena did.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, urbanland said:

It would take up all of Lot 4 and some of lot 5.   The existing road between the highway and oaks would go away.   Ottawa would extend to cherry.  in other news, several of the monthly parking rates downtown will double effective August 1. 

I had forgotten that the city was going to extend Ottawa and close the other road (which I don't even think has a name). So just some of lot 5? The East Lot?

Something like this?

Theater Site 2.jpg

7 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I'm actually relieved that the SW lot is where this would go.

It will create some much needed continuity between the transit center/Founders area and the central DT area, and may even bump up transit usage. It will certainly be the kick in the pants needed to spur development of the rest of the parking lots (especially on Grandville) as well as fill in some gaps in the street wall on Iona.

I'm almost wondering if this will have a big an impact on the area as the Arena did.

I think that will depend on the retail that goes in with the theater, and how it gets laid out. I go back to this project a lot, the Roosevelt Collection in Chicago. Has a movie theater anchoring the back end.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8674066,-87.6323806,3a,90y,343.83h,99.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szqolcKlM8xqyY8e2jHwMZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I think it would be really cool if this were more of a cinema/urban mall concept.  It's something that I've seen a lot of, mainly in Asia and Europe.  A lot of them have more upscale restaurants than your typical food court.  It makes it more of a destination; go shopping, get a nice dinner, see a movie, etc.  Almost all of them are set up with parking on bottom, then mall, then restaurants, then cinema, usually about 5-20 levels total.  I would think typical national mall retailers would be interested.

Either way I think this project will be great.  

I'm actually really hoping noone ever attempts an urban mall in GR.  Every urban mall that I have seen has either failed entirely or ended up filled with discount stores and half empty.  If national brands return to downtown it needs to be in an organic outdoor setting like all of the store fronts up and down Wealthy and Fulton, or possibly Ionia.  

• Like 1

I also hope they don't build a self-contained, drive in, drive out complex. It would be great to have some retail and restaurants, but I hope they build something that integrates with the city. Don't need a walled garden downtown. Seems like dinner (anywhere), a movie, and cocktails after would be another win for downtown nightlife. But again, I don't like the whole self-contained urban mall thing. 

Joe

• Like 1

23 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I also hope they don't build a self-contained, drive in, drive out complex. It would be great to have some retail and restaurants, but I hope they build something that integrates with the city. Don't need a walled garden downtown. Seems like dinner (anywhere), a movie, and cocktails after would be another win for downtown nightlife. But again, I don't like the whole self-contained urban mall thing. 

Joe

Agreed. They could facilitate this by designing it so that people who park in the ramp have to go outside before they enter the retail and theater portion (unless maybe handicapped entrances).

well I hope they utilize the downtown location with something similar to Alamo Drafthouse instead of another underwhelming plain-jane celebration. These days many theaters have beer, food service, valet, ect and look more elegant than cheesy neon lights and chuck cheese carpet

• Like 1

On 3/5/2016 at 10:10 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I think that will depend on the retail that goes in with the theater, and how it gets laid out. I go back to this project a lot, the Roosevelt Collection in Chicago. Has a movie theater anchoring the back end.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8674066,-87.6323806,3a,90y,343.83h,99.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szqolcKlM8xqyY8e2jHwMZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

This reminds me of the Gateway in Salt Lake City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_District.  Outdoor mall with a movie theater among other things, although since the City Center mall a half mile away opened in SLC this place seems to have fallen on some hard times. http://www.sltrib.com/news/2063536-155/slump-deepens-at-salt-lake-citys. That's a shame, my wife and I really enjoyed strolling around that place when we lived in Ogden, made for a nice day trip.

On 3/5/2016 at 1:49 PM, MJLO said:

I'm actually really hoping noone ever attempts an urban mall in GR.  Every urban mall that I have seen has either failed entirely or ended up filled with discount stores and half empty.  If national brands return to downtown it needs to be in an organic outdoor setting like all of the store fronts up and down Wealthy and Fulton, or possibly Ionia.  

The Epic center in downtown Charlotte I enjoyed recently http://epicentrenc.com/

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, iK1NkY said:

http://fox17online.com/2016/04/11/developers-propose-movie-theater-mixed-use-center-for-downtown-grand-rapids/

Can't really see much in the picture given, but it has a significant number of apartments proposed.

This includes a little closer look at a portion of it- http://woodtv.com/2016/04/11/movie-theater-development-announced-for-downtown-grand-rapids/

Found this on the Celebration Cinema FB page...couldn't figure out how to link to the press release.  There's a rendering there, too.

Studio C! Grand Rapids - Press Release
LOEKS THEATRES ANNOUNCE RETURN TO DOWNTOWN GRAND RAPIDS WITH MIXED-USE, MOVIE THEATRE PROJECT
Project will include parking, retail, more.
For Immediate Release Contact Steve VanWagoner 616.447.4253
Grand Rapids, MI - - Monday, April 11, 2016 - - Today JD Loeks, President of Loeks Theatres, Inc., officially announced a proposal to develop a mixed use project in downtown Grand Rapids. The plan includes a new megaplex theatre in downtown Grand Rapids. To understand the true significance of the project, however, requires a look back at some of the shifts that have taken place in Grand Rapids and with Loeks Theatres over the past three generations.
The company began in downtown Grand Rapids in 1944. His grandfather, Jack Loeks, had acquired The Powers Theatre on Pearl Street and converted it to a movie house called Foto News. It was later known as The Midtown Theatre. The theatre was a community center used for live performance, civic meetings and filmed content before closing in the early-70’s, along with many other downtown retailers. The theatre was later torn down and replaced with a parking ramp. In 1965, he built Studio 28, which became the largest multi-screen theatre in the world, defining the modern megplex, and known throughout the industry as a pioneering move.
In the mid-90’s, JD’s father, John Loeks, built the first Celebration! Cinema in Benton Harbor – one of the first movie theatres to feature stadium-tiered seating. In 2001, Celebration! opened one of the first megaplexes in the world to feature an IMAX screen, in Grand Rapids. Now Celebration! Cinema, with its 12 locations, is the market leader in Western and Central Michigan.
Now, after many years of planning, Loeks intends to return downtown with a new 9-screen theatre called Studio C!. The name itself pays homage to the significant accomplishments of the previous two generations and will continue the legacy of innovation by offering a theatre for the next generation of movie-goers.
Today, Loeks talked about his intent to seek the approval of the Grand Rapids Downtown Development Authority this Friday, to enter into an agreement to develop the mixed use project. The public meeting is 8am on Friday at the DDA offices.
The plan for the publicly owned property is located south of Van Andel Arena (area lots 4 and 5, bound by Oakes St. Ionia St., and Cherry St.) It will be built in two phases. The $100-million first phase, which is expected to break ground in early 2017, is a partnership with Grand Rapids-based 616 Development. It will feature the movie theatre, 38,000 square foot of retail, approximately 187 residential units, a large public piazza and a 900-space parking ramp which will expand the parking supply in the immediate area by approximately 300 spaces.
The details of the second phase will be announced at a later time and will include finishing the residential portion of the plan. Loeks chose 616 Development as the partner to help create the details of the project.
“616 Development is a valuable partner in this project,” says Loeks. “We share a long-range view on creating a destination that brings value to this region. We are each committed to a vision of Grand Rapids as a home to a vibrant and richly connected community.”
“We believe that creating spaces for people to live, work and play along the Ionia Corridor will add to the vibrancy of our growing city, which also aligns with the missions of the Arena South Plan and GR Forward,” said Monica Steimle, Director of Community Relations for 616 Development. “We look at this project as an on-going commitment to our noble purpose of Community Creation and are pleased to partner with another respected local company that has a similar mission.”
The consideration by the Grand Rapids Downtown Development Authority Board will come after years of planning, discussions with the city, and encouragement from many community members to build a downtown theatre complex. The proposal is aligned with the citizen-driven goals for Downtown expressed in the GR Forward and Arena South plans.
“The opportunity to work with the Loeks’s family on this full circle endeavor has been one the most significant projects that 616 has been part of,” said Jeff Olsen, Director of Development for 616 Development. “There has been a natural synergy between the two groups. Together, we have considered it an honor to work with leaders of the City of Grand Rapids, the DDA, the Parking Services and the city’s economic development staff to help bring this project to fruition.”
“This theatre will be unlike anything we have built before,” JD Loeks added. “It will borrow some of the best, most innovative ideas that we have seen from around the world and add a few innovations of our own.”
About Studio C! : The Studio C! movie experience was designed to take the standard movie-going experience and infuse the unexpected. Surprising programs, great food and delicious drinks, events for grownups but fun for families.
Studio C! movie theatre is locally owned and operated by Loeks Theatres, Inc. For more information contact Steve VanWagoner at 616.447.4253 and visit www.studioctheatre.com
About 616 Development: 616 Development is an urban real estate development firm headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We specialize in upcycling underutilized spaces into places where people can work, play and just…live. Our mission: to create community.
Our residential-centric, mixed-use development model works hand-in-hand with our geo-specific lofts communities. These property management arms offer concierge-style service and a hyper-local experience to residents, while giving 616 Development valuable feedback on its investments.
616 Development currently operates several properties in Grand Rapids’ downtown and outlying urban neighborhoods.

• Like 1

StudioC616.jpg

It's my guess this rendering is if all phases are completed.  This vantage is looking SW from Ionia and Oakes, and also appears to implement a walkway from the Van Andel Arena as outlined in the Arena South Plan. If it doesn't get value engineered to death, and comes to full fruition, it will be very cool.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

StudioC616.jpg

It's my guess this rendering is if all phases are completed.  This vantage is looking SW from Ionia and Oakes, and also appears to implement a walkway from the Van Andel Arena as outlined in the Arena South Plan. If it doesn't get value engineered to death, and comes to full fruition, it will be very cool.

Agreed.  This would be a tremendous plan that would FINALLY have the potential of bringing in some meaningful retail development IF there is adequate parking and IF there is adequate space planned for it.  If it happens, it could (in my book, anyway) easily be one of the most significant projects to happen since construction of the Arena.  MY only complaint?  MAKE IT TALLER!!  :D

44 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

StudioC616.jpg

Agreed! It's almost perfect. In this part of downtown, I'm not even that disappointed in the height. 

Another angle, street level looking into the courtyard area. They have a FB page if people are interested in getting updates. 

https://www.facebook.com/studiocgrandrapids/timeline

Studio C.JPG

It is like a smaller version of the Roosevelt Collection in Chicago. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8674067,-87.6323686,3a,90y,343.83h,99.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szqolcKlM8xqyY8e2jHwMZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is one of the most exciting downtown developments over the past few years.  The area between Fulton and the highway is filling in quite nicely.  Hopefully this will bring more retail to the area, it's a great location.  I feel the tower is about the right height, 15 stories will stick out quite a bit.  Who knows, maybe by the time ground is broken the tower will be taller?

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Studio C - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project
39 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

Love it!  Also love that there's no exposed parking levels! :yahoo:

The parking is so hidden, people on MLive are going ballistic about parking. 

Now that I've had a chance to look at it more thoroughly, it looks like the footprint will be shaped somewhat like this, give or take. I like that they aligned the courtyard area with the alley that runs behind Hopcat and the arena. 

Studio C Footprint.jpg

• Like 1