Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

10 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

From what I've heard,  the management is horrible and parking accommodations is very poor for residents and their friends

This doesn't surprise me a bit with what I remember of DTN from my years at MSU.  Granted that was student housing, but still

Edited by discgrab21
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

This doesn't surprise me a bit with what I remember of DTN from my years at MSU.  Granted that was student housing, but still

I couldn't agree more. I rented from DTN (CEDAR VILLAGE!!!! WHAT!!! WHAT!!) and their management was terrible. Again, it was student housing but at over $1000 for a two bedroom apartment in 2000 I expected a clean-ish unit at move-in but it was filthy. They were chronically understaffed and we had to hound them to get action on any little maintenance issue. 

2 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

But seriously, can we stop bicycle-trolling every single thread?  This is a thread about Studio-C and yet somehow we managed to throw in yet another bike lane joke.  It's getting stale.  I get it already.

Just making an observation.

I think we need a biker's rule / biker's suck thread and everything related to biking (good or bad) automagically gets moved to that thread :)

Joe

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

But seriously, can we stop bicycle-trolling every single thread?  This is a thread about Studio-C and yet somehow we managed to throw in yet another bike lane joke.  It's getting stale.  I get it already.

Just making an observation.

Actually, it wasn't bicycle trolling at all.  It was city planning trolling - poking fun at the high-minded concept that in a city that experiences the weather of GR, people will quickly switch to riding bicycles or stand in the open air at a sign that says "bus stop" simply because you take away parking and add bike lanes and bus routes.  I've got nothing against bicyclists in general.  

Although I did enjoy the photo of the tractor trailer pile-up.  I can see that happening on Ionia Avenue one of these days. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wingbert said:

i know a lot of people who bike commute here year round.  our paltry cycling infrastructure does help. We need more of it not less. There are plenty of cities around the world where people bike en mass in weather like ours, and they do so because there is infrastructure for it.  

Most people who stand outside the snow waiting for the bus do so because the have to.  

• 3 months later...

It looks like tomorrow DDA meeting will include the signing of the development agreement for this project. There are a couple renderings with updates thought they're really not great quality nor probably final. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly when it will start. It does include the new hotel space and the new office space and I am so curious to know what brand the hotel (4-star) will be. People I know who are close to the project say the brand is a "big deal" for Grand Rapids. Anyway - it's all in the DDA agenda for tomorrow if anyone wants to check it out. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

It looks like tomorrow DDA meeting will include the signing of the development agreement for this project. There are a couple renderings with updates thought they're really not great quality nor probably final. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly when it will start. It does include the new hotel space and the new office space and I am so curious to know what brand the hotel (4-star) will be. People I know who are close to the project say the brand is a "big deal" for Grand Rapids. Anyway - it's all in the DDA agenda for tomorrow if anyone wants to check it out. 

I've heard the same, seems it was way premature when first presented and almost totally different now.  

#gamechanger :P

The tower looks a lot different obviously, and the building to the back left (the hotel) looks changed a bit as well. That splash of red.... does that give an indication of what hotel brand it would possibly be? 

35611419944_1323f2fab0_b.jpg

36278148622_7d31d75869_b.jpg

More deets..

A 9-screen Studio C! movie theater; • 98 residential units in phase 1, plus approximately 100 units in phase II tower; • 32,500 SF retail space; • a 140-room four-star hotel; • a minimum of 30,000 SF of Class A office space; • a 750-900 space parking ramp built with phase II tower pad; and • a new publicly-owned, privately-managed public piazza

If approved and executed by the DDA, the Grand Rapids City Commission and the JE LLC development team, it is anticipated that a closing could occur in approximately 90 days. Along the preferred construction timeline, the development project would begin construction in November, 2017, and conclude approximately two years afterward.

4 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I thought that was really interesting as well. Interesting concept/brand. 

Up the street at 10 Ionia (Hinman Tower) they said it would be a flagship Hilton. Does that mean just regular Hilton Hotel or might that mean one of the flags under Hilton? Just curious. Then you've got AC Hotel going in 50 Monroe...

It is nice to imagine the diversity of hotels that downtown will have. 

7 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Up the street at 10 Ionia (Hinman Tower) they said it would be a flagship Hilton. Does that mean just regular Hilton Hotel or might that mean one of the flags under Hilton? Just curious. Then you've got AC Hotel going in 50 Monroe...

More hotels than attractions almost. Get those rapids back in the river, boys. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Flagship means a regular Hilton, something the area despritely needs as the last Hilton in the area converted to a doubletree leaving Gr metro area by far the largest in the country without a flagship brand not Hilton, Marriott, Sheriton, Weston, or Hyatt among others. Glad to see new brands though and interesting considering Hilton built the Hampton new embassy converted the grand plaza to curio, planning one at the hinman tower and this

• Like 1