Sign in to follow this  
joeDowntown

Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

On 9/11/2017 at 4:11 PM, ChevalierNoir said:

Doing some test drilling on the southeast corner of the site.

IMG_20170911_160642.jpg

Wow. Here we go?

On 9/11/2017 at 4:11 PM, ChevalierNoir said:

Doing some test drilling on the southeast corner of the site.

IMG_20170911_160642.jpg

This project goes before the BRA for Brownfield Plan approval at their Oct 5th meeting.  That probably explains the drilling/soil sampling. 

It's fascinating that the environmental assessment talks about the "large passenger and freight rail yard" that used to encompass this area from around 1898 until at least 1953".  We all knew the Grand Rapids Union Station was there but you don't really think about it now, just a sea of parking lots. 

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=3075&Inline=True

12 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Tower portion is phase two, correct? 

Yes, at some indetermined date in the future. I believe that the office building at the Northwest corner is part of phase 1 as well, but doesn't sound like Pioneer is involved? I didn't ask specifically. 

4 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Anything else supposed to begin? 

I don't know but this site is pretty massive, with a huge ramp, office building, theater, apartment building, and hotel going up on it. Then you have Warner Tower which will probably be getting close to topped out by then, the hotel starting and visible from the s-curve, and the Monroe North projects, plus Meijer. 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't know but this site is pretty massive, with a huge ramp, office building, theater, apartment building, and hotel going up on it. Then you have Warner Tower which will probably be getting close to topped out by then, the hotel starting and visible from the s-curve, and the Monroe North projects, plus Meijer. 

I'd love the triangle site tower to go up next year.... 

10 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I'd love the triangle site tower to go up next year.... 

Wouldn't we all!

On 12/1/2017 at 2:10 PM, Prankster said:

Was just in Huntington, WV. They have a similar development called Pullman Square http://www.pullman-square.com/. If the Celebration Cinema development turns out as nice as this, it will be a real asset for the city. 

Looking at photos of that project, I am going to go with "unlikely".   The one in Huntington has pretty nice human scaled architecture with lots of details and features to it.  I would give that one a fairly solid New Urbanist stamp of approval.  The design of this falls a bit short of the mark to my eyes, which are getting really tired of urban architecture that often falls short of even half decent suburban strip malls.  I'm still hoping they clean this up and make it more inviting.  

7 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Not exactly "news" seeing as it was already out there in various places that it would be a Canopy but here it is in the press - 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/01/downtown_movie_and_residential.html#incart_river_home

It also appeared in GRBJ.

I'm really excited about this entire project and all the pieces to it. Do I venture to say it will be the largest scaled project in downtown GR's history? Maybe medical mile when the HDVCH, MSU, Lemmen Holton and the two other offices were being built might be a close tie? I'd love to hear Franklin Partners unveil more details about the office building portion...

37 minutes ago, GRCentro said:

Some additional images here. Must it be so excessively ugly?

http://woodtv.com/2018/01/03/downtown-gr-developers-reveal-plans-for-studio-park-hotel/

Yeah, that design is interesting. A lot taller than they had proposed in earlier renderings.

Canopy by Hilton 2.jpg

Canopy by Hilton.jpg

It's almost as tall as Tall House was going to be. :P Remember that one? (down the street by Hopcat)

199050970_45f40b4fb2_o.jpg

• Like 1

Compared to some of the junk designs going up in this city, this is architectural gold. I will take a funky, contemporary looking rectangle over a completely flat, featureless rectangle any day.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Compared to some of the junk designs going up in this city, this is architectural gold. I will take a funky, contemporary looking rectangle over a completely flat, featureless rectangle any day.

I suppose it could be called "functional".  Saying it's better than some of the other stuff going up around town is not exactly a ringing endorsement for the design.

The entrance looks a bit cheesy with that concrete pylon thing sticking right down the center, and the random balcony sticking out of the front doesn't make sense. Also, why does one of the sides only have 4 windows???

But at lest the ground floor has a lot of transparency and it has zero setbacks. I guess that counts for something?

Edited by GR_Urbanist

23 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The entrance looks a bit cheesy with that concrete pylon thing sticking right down the center, and the random balcony sticking out of the front doesn't make sense. Also, why does one of the sides only have 4 windows???

But at lest the ground floor has a lot of transparency and it has zero setbacks. I guess that counts for something?

I'm assuming that's just a stairwell. Odd that they would make the north end the one with a lack of windows though. If I'm staying there, I'd rather have a view of the city than a view of industry to the south.

I in kind of one of those I'll believe it when they start shoveling dirt types of moods with this one.  (Also the Hinman Tower)