Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

53 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I've been wondering the same thing. 

Warner tower will be finished soon. I don’t think they are even looking at regulatory approval until Q3 this year.  My guess is that they will move in this year and rebrand in 2020.  

On 1/20/2019 at 12:10 PM, RegalTDP said:

I like the building itself, very dignified and college-campusy, but agree it's on the wrong spot and a huge under-utilization of that corner.  Would rather see buildings like this over by GVSU.

One would have to imagine that property gets picked up with bigger plans down the line. Downtown is going to extend south, and that property could really help link it all together.

7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Any rumblings or social media posts  hinting of any retailers coming to this project yet? 

Having spoken with someone who does commercial real estate/brokering in town, tt sounds like this might be coming together for some beverage related things, but the entire process seems a little less coordinated and professional than you'd think (hope). The only thing I've heard a few times now is Starbucks. lol. 

Edited by GVSUChris

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

Having spoken with someone who does commercial real estate/brokering in town, tt sounds like this might be coming together for some beverage related things, but the entire process seems a little less coordinated and professional than you'd think (hope). The only thing I've heard a few times now is Starbucks. lol. 

I actually think a stand alone Starbucks is a good thing for downtown to have.

• Like 3

We were at New Hotel Mertens last night (great place), and it’s amazing how much the neighborhood is going to change. Ionia is going to have a great street level from Cherry to Fulton. I can imagine a “second wave” of improvements to some of the buildings involved in the original Cherry street landing. 

Joe

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

We were at New Hotel Mertens last night (great place), and it’s amazing how much the neighborhood is going to change. Ionia is going to have a great street level from Cherry to Fulton. I can imagine a “second wave” of improvements to some of the buildings involved in the original Cherry street landing. 

Joe

Do you think that Purple East space will ever see a new tenant. :)

38 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Do you think that Purple East space will ever see a new tenant. :)

I'd love to know what happened to the proposed building on the parking lot of this building. I do think the Purple east space will get a new tenant / have investment put into the building (I'd being interested to see what the upper level looks like - it was built for a skate park, wonder how usable it is in its current form?).

I watched this building burn down back in the day (was it the Carl Forslund warehouse)? Total shame as the original warehouse was a cool old brick building. I had heard the fire wasn't exactly an accident... ;)

Joe 

On 2/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, joeDowntown said:

I'd love to know what happened to the proposed building on the parking lot of this building. I do think the Purple east space will get a new tenant / have investment put into the building (I'd being interested to see what the upper level looks like - it was built for a skate park, wonder how usable it is in its current form?).

I watched this building burn down back in the day (was it the Carl Forslund warehouse)? Total shame as the original warehouse was a cool old brick building. I had heard the fire wasn't exactly an accident... ;)

Joe 

I had forgotten about that plan! 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:27 AM, jdkacz said:

I actually think a stand alone Starbucks is a good thing for downtown to have.

Agree, a SBUX there would be a solid affirmation of the south of Fulton neighborhood and the project generally.   SBUX has had their share of closings, but these days are different than 10 years ago where they'd put them anywhere they could fit them in  (especially in the U.S.).

With Lantern Coffee around the corner and then the announcement of New Hotel Mertens Bakery yesterday, that would be quite the cluster of coffee-type shops all close in to each other-- then again when compared to other GR neighborhoods "just" three coffee shops might be fewer than usual!

Speaking of convention-goers, since the "entertainment district" of Grand Rapids will decidedly move South away from the convention center and big hotels, do you think a trolley service will start up that runs people down to Ionia area? Other than DASH? Or is that a business idea? :)

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Speaking of convention-goers, since the "entertainment district" of Grand Rapids will decidedly move South away from the convention center and big hotels, do you think a trolley service will start up that runs people down to Ionia area? Other than DASH? Or is that a business idea? :)

Possible!  Though more likely a trolley bus of some sort, sadly.  I also predict they will extend the skywalk further south from the arena to the theater.

5 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

Possible!  Though more likely a trolley bus of some sort, sadly.  I also predict they will extend the skywalk further south from the arena to the theater.

You think? I think the pricetag to extend the skywalk that far from where it currently ends would be enormous (and not worth it).