Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

It makes sense. Why reopen after being closed for a few months if you know you are going to close permanently a short time later, due to business leasing decisions? I wonder what will become of the space? My guess is tear down and build some new storefronts. 

In more related news, it looks like the steel is getting close to complete on the Acrisure building. It looks like the decorative corner steel for the rooftop patio is in place. I was happy to see progress again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Don't read the Facebook comments unless you want to smack your forehead in exasperation 

^^^ Pretty much applies to all Facebook Comments not related to family photos or pictures of kids and puppies. ;)

I miss the days when people just took pictures of what they ate for lunch (which annoyed me at the time, but never realized we'd move to next-level ranting!

Joe

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, Raildude's dad said:

I was out in the rainstorm myself cruising downtown. I was struck by all the empty store fronts in these new mixed use developments.  It appears there is no demand for ground floor retail.

Not at the rates they have to charge. $26+/sf? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Photo from today. I didn’t realize they were using red brick. 

on another note, anecdotally, outdoor seating was really busy today. Glad to see the city put up barricades everywhere to allow this. Wonder if they’ll get creative and try to keep these going into late fall (heaters, bonfires would be cool too). 

Joe

2D3262D8-65A4-43A4-A958-DE8E8AAA3AEC.jpeg

C15BD79B-6BF1-4FC4-8B28-0147449AD791.jpeg

11 hours ago, Winston1206 said:

Tried to go up to Knoop (the Canopy rooftop beer garden) the other night. Said they had an 1.5 hour wait. Good to hear they're doing well so far. 

So it isnt  a rooftop like the Hotel Indigo in Traverse City.   i guess I should have looked closer at the concept pictures.  It's primarily an indoor facility with no outdoor space facing west.  There's a few outdoor tables facing east.  So for the most part you can see nice things out the windows, sort of like a nice view out of  hotel room windows.  On the bright side it's good to have another all-weather restaurant with views from higher up. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GRain said:

So it isnt  a rooftop like the Hotel Indigo in Traverse City.   i guess I should have looked closer at the concept pictures.  It's primarily an indoor facility with no outdoor space facing west.  There's a few outdoor tables facing east.  So for the most part you can see nice things out the windows, sort of like a nice view out of  hotel room windows.  On the bright side it's good to have another all-weather restaurant with views from higher up. 

I was up there when it was under construction. It's not technically on the "rooftop" but it is open to the sky and open to the East facing the Heartside district. I think it's also open to the North looking down Ionia. It's actually nice because it's sheltered from the wind. It's not like Hawt at the New Hotel Mertens (or whatever the new name is).

On 9/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, joeDowntown said:

Photo from today. I didn’t realize they were using red brick. 

on another note, anecdotally, outdoor seating was really busy today. Glad to see the city put up barricades everywhere to allow this. Wonder if they’ll get creative and try to keep these going into late fall (heaters, bonfires would be cool too). 

Joe

The social zone in front of Luna already has outdoor heaters. As a sidenote, I hear there's a shortage of outdoor heaters now and propane companies are saying to expect a shortage of propane tanks this winter. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I spotted this recent photo of Acrisure LLC's new office building, posted by Downtown GR Inc. on December 12 via Instagram -

2020_12_12_Grand%20Rapids_Acrisure.jpg?r

Speaking of, MEDC recently modified its incentive requirements for this project, in response to COVID-19 & construction delays (in favor of the company) -

Edited by deja vu
  • Like 1