Studio Park - $140 Million Celebration Cinema/mixed use project

joeDowntown

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I believe it's supposed to be lifted up onto the existing structure(?), unless I'm mistaken, and that will make it tall enough.

You mean on the parking deck? It already is. 

Unless more is arriving later, or they'll raise it later, this concerns me that the project was downscaled. Significantly.

PXL_20220803_193556415.jpg

Edited by Cookin_peacocks

1 hour ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

You mean on the parking deck? It already is. 

Unless more is arriving later, or they'll raise it later, this concerns me that the project was downscaled. Significantly.

PXL_20220803_193556415.jpg

I was standing next to this two days ago and someone with the crane crew told us that it won’t be full height. They will have one more extension of it down the road as the building goes up. 

17 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Even so, one extension seems much lower than the 17 stories they are planning on adding, isn't it?

"One more extension" probably means one more time they'll extend it upward, not necessarily one more piece of the tower. Dude, chill. :)  If it had been downsized, the entire deal with the DDA and city would have had to be restructured and it would have made the agendas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

"One more extension" probably means one more time they'll extend it upward, not necessarily one more piece of the tower. Dude, chill. :)  If it had been downsized, the entire deal with the DDA and city would have had to be restructured and it would have made the agendas. 

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression I was stressing. Just disappointed if it had been downsized.

• Like 2

@Cookin_peacocks FYI I looked up this project on the city planning/permit site and this is what they have for a description:

The Phase Two project includes construction of a new approximately 212,000 square foot sixteen (16) story tower to be located atop the existing parking structure. The tower will include an approximately 700 square foot retail art gallery on the ground floor, a base tower floor (12,885 sf) for amenities that will include a pool, terrace, fitness, and community room. The next eleven (11) floors (13,768 sf each) will contain approximately fifteen (15) apartments each for a total of 165 new residential apartments (studio, one and two bedroom units). The remaining four (4) floors (53,045 sf) will contain a total of twenty-four (24) residential condominium units that will be sold to homeowners. Total capital investment is expected to be approximately $52 million.

It will be interesting to see how they stage materials for this project. Will the crane lift everything off of trucks on Ottawa and stage on the top floor of the parking ramp? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

@Cookin_peacocks FYI I looked up this project on the city planning/permit site and this is what they have for a description:

The Phase Two project includes construction of a new approximately 212,000 square foot sixteen (16) story tower to be located atop the existing parking structure. The tower will include an approximately 700 square foot retail art gallery on the ground floor, a base tower floor (12,885 sf) for amenities that will include a pool, terrace, fitness, and community room. The next eleven (11) floors (13,768 sf each) will contain approximately fifteen (15) apartments each for a total of 165 new residential apartments (studio, one and two bedroom units). The remaining four (4) floors (53,045 sf) will contain a total of twenty-four (24) residential condominium units that will be sold to homeowners. Total capital investment is expected to be approximately $52 million.

It will be interesting to see how they stage materials for this project. Will the crane lift everything off of trucks on Ottawa and stage on the top floor of the parking ramp? 

I'm wondering when we will see materials arrive (if they already haven't) and when this thing will go vertical. All the base and such is already in place so I imagine this will go fast.

• 2 weeks later...

11 hours ago, civitas said:

Reorganizing some old image folders and found this .... StudioPark is an amazing gift to this community. 

"The multi-story project will feature retail, restaurants and a theater when it opens in 2007."

186435065_ec3654451f_o.jpg

Wow, I forgot about that proposal. Studio Park is way nicer. I also chuckle when I open this thread to the first page (not logged in) and the theater project shows up. 

http://media.mlive.com/grandrapidspress/photo/2012/04/10822613-standard.jpg

This is why it's sometimes better to wait than to let any ole development go through. I can imagine the original theater proposal would look dated, and probably having hard times with Covid / decreased movie going. 

I'm so thankful for Studio Park. Definitely a project done well!

Joe

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I love this rendering (from the Studio Park site):

SPT+3.png

And depending on the size, I agree, $500k seems a little low. Especially with housing prices what they are now (and I assume these will have some pretty nice finishes!).

I went to Street View to envision this from the other side, and the current pic has crane lifting the tower crane... for those of you who are into that.  ;-) 

image.thumb.png.48b81a0a48de48879e61d6265799cc0b.png

• Like 2