Dumb question about rail line along river road downtown

itsjustme3

The rail line that runs along the levee, is it still in use? I can't remember the last time I've seen a train use it. Imagine if LSU had a troll(s) that went from LSU to downtown. No need to build along Nicholson if it's already there. Has there ever been any plans/discussions of utilizing the track that's already there?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live four blocks from those tracks and drive by them everyday. They are used very frequently. If I remember correctly the city asked the railroad companies to remove the tracks and use the line that runs through mid city, but the companies use the line just enough to refuse the cities request.

I live four blocks from those tracks and drive by them everyday. They are used very frequently. If I remember correctly the city asked the railroad companies to remove the tracks and use the line that runs through mid city, but the companies use the line just enough to refuse the cities request.

Thanks for the info. You'd think someone from the rail line and the city could come together and create a deal to let the city operate a train/trolly for a fee. Would be cheaper than creating something new. Oh well.

I've seen it used. I've always loved the idea for LASM to be converted into a big grande ole train station like Penn Station.

Although Nicholson would be ideal.

Sounds awesome. I think the proposed passenger rail routes to NOLA uses the track that runs under North Blvd though.....which would provide enough track without intersections for a staging area and station right at North- and it would provide an easy northerly route across the old bridge.

I wouldn't mind a ripoff of Houston's rail line going up Nicholson from Brightside to North Blvd and from there east to about Foster.

Don't think there is enough room for it on North without reducing it to 2 lanes. Nicholson probably does have enough right of way to widen the median to the 30' or so needed for dual lines.

This all, of course,has major cost concerns. I don't think Atlanta or Houston got started with rail until they considered making bids to host the Olympics (Atlanta in '94 and Houston in '16).

Sounds awesome. I think the proposed passenger rail routes to NOLA uses the track that runs under North Blvd though.....which would provide enough track without intersections for a staging area and station right at North- and it would provide an easy northerly route across the old bridge.

I wouldn't mind a ripoff of Houston's rail line going up Nicholson from Brightside to North Blvd and from there east to about Foster.

Don't think there is enough room for it on North without reducing it to 2 lanes. Nicholson probably does have enough right of way to widen the median to the 30' or so needed for dual lines.

This all, of course,has major cost concerns. I don't think Atlanta or Houston got started with rail until they considered making bids to host the Olympics (Atlanta in '94 and Houston in '16).

I'm thinking of Nicholson/St. Louis to North to East Blvd and down Government to Independence park. Nicholson would come down to the Extension and turn onto E Parker, hit Stanford/Acadian and make a loop around North Acadian. (the lines would split at North St.) Also a huge transit/shopping center would be constructed at Westmoreland Shopping Center.

Houston built the rail for the Superbowl as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it used. I've always loved the idea for LASM to be converted into a big grande ole train station like Penn Station.

Although Nicholson would be ideal.

I think the LASM used to be the train station before it was converted into a museum. Would be nice if we would have never lost passenger rail service.

Archived