The Civil War - Battle for Ballantyne

ah59396

Looks like our good friends in Ballantyne, SMART (South Meck Alliance for Responsible Taxpayers), are again talking of secession from Charlotte. Apparently they have carried out a study regarding the proposal and will release the findings sometime presumably in the near future. Bob Rucho said he would help out in any way he could (surprise).

Two interesting notes: 1. The man spearheading this stated that, just as in the state wresting control of the airport from the city Raleigh could step in and act in the est interest of the people in this case as well. Apparently he doesn't realize that an overwhelming majority of citizens do not support the state's action with regard to the airport. 2. The same person said one route to autonomy would be a local bill; the other a voter referendum. Since the two routes to autonomy have been distinguished from each other, it suggest that he is open to the notion of seceding from Charlotte via the pen stroke of some of our omniscient philosopher-kings in Raleigh and not a voter driven referendum. What I find interesting here is that the group was founded, in part, because Ballantyne was forcibly annexed into the city limits without voter approval, and now they are poised to espouse a proposal that would potentially de-annex the area from the city without the consent of the people. Hypocrisy in its purest form.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this study online anywhere?

I think it's possible that the General Assembly could step in and change the city boundaries if it wanted to. North Carolina is a "Dillon's Rule" state, which means that cities exist at the pleasure of the State, so it's reasonable to think that they could carve out a new city. My guess is that similar issues to the airport situation would be brought up. 

Seems to me that if you don't want to live in the city, you shouldn't have bought a house within the ETJ where it was predetermined that you would be annexed eventually.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if support numbers are very high.  Stereo-typing and on a half-political rant here, but I see this movement as a bunch of know-it-all conservatives who think they know how to do it better.  They're disgusted with being part of a, you know, diverse community.  They want to make their millions and they want to spend it only on themselves.  It really disgusts me.  I'm a resident of 28277 now, but we would very seriously consider moving if this were to ever happen.  Heck, even the movement itself makes me want to move.

I would love to see the survey and WHO they surveyed... Me guess is this survey was one that was done with a foregone conclusion in mind from the get-go.

It would be interesting if  an unbiased party did a broad survey in the same area and see if the results are the same

Archived