Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

cityboi

All the funding is in place unless donors back out. The rest will be payed for through hotel motel tax, parking and user fees. But yes there have been a number of delays. It was suppose to open this summer. It should open around the time the other big projects open like the Westin and the mixed use Aloft project. 

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

Work on the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts has finally begun. Grading and utility work will be complete by October with structural work beginning afterwards. 

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/work-on-tanger-center-begins-in-downtown-greensboro/article_ee3a8c3b-c940-57ce-b6ae-acd5db4d40a4.html

Edited by cityboi

• 5 months later...

There has been some grading and utility work but actual construction on the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts begins next month. The total cost of the project has ballooned to $89 million more than double the cost of DPAC in Durham. 

Construction on other downtown transformative projects associated with future parking decks also begins next month. 

2018 is going to be the year of a lot of downtown construction with cranes both big and small everywhere. 

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/construction-to-start-on-greensboro-performing-arts-center/article_8a80d019-edda-5778-bae0-db4618fb8d89.html

Edited by cityboi

• 4 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 6:49 PM, cityboi said:

Construction is well underway. They are putting the foundation in and it appears one of the walls are going up. 

I drove by about a week ago and was pleased to see some real, genuine progress going on with the foundation. Hopefully there are no more stalling points and this gets built and is ready in a couple years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

It will at least be better than DPAC. That's the goal.

I don't think Greensboro would want anything less. When the Carolina Theatre opened in downtown Greensboro in the late 1920s it was the largest theater in the state and was dubbed Showplace of the Carolinas. The Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts will become that in 2020. It will be the largest PAC in the state with 3,000 seats and the most state-of-the-art. Also the best sound system and largest stage of any PAC in North Carolina. To compete the Tanger Center has to be just as good or better than DPAC 

Pretty large building. You can see the outline of the front of the Tanger Center on the ground. The tall concrete section appears to be the elevator shaft. The Webcam photo is taken from the Bellemeade parking deck, the primary parking for the Tanger Center. The great thing about this location is that the infrastructure is already there. Marriott hotel is across the street on the Elm Street side as well. There will be  a roof top terrace overlooking LeBauer Park to the southeast. By contrast, Durham had to build its parking deck and hotel for its PAC.

20180727_173932.thumb.png.b8025db63c3fd920957e5fea6d18a1b2.png

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, cityboi said:

I don't think Greensboro would want anything less. When the Carolina Theatre opened in downtown Greensboro in the late 1920s it was the largest theater in the state and was dubbed Showplace of the Carolinas. The Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts will become that in 2020. It will be the largest PAC in the state with 3,000 seats and the most state-of-the-art. Also the best sound system and largest stage of any PAC in North Carolina. To compete the Tanger Center has to be just as good or better than DPAC 

Why does everything with you have to be a competition between cities in NC ? Not sure why Greensboro has always had this attitude that it needs to try and "one up" every other city, especially Winston-Salem. This mentality has progressed to the level of a sickness within Greensboro.

Has the fact that the Greensboro coliseum was at the time the largest event arena made Greensboro any better over the years? Has Four Seasons? Has Project 561?

Your city and most of it's citizens have a huge chip on its shoulder.

3 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Why does everything with you have to be a competition between cities in NC ? Not sure why Greensboro has always had this attitude that it needs to try and "one up" every other city, especially Winston-Salem. This mentality has progressed to the level of a sickness within Greensboro.

Has the fact that the Greensboro coliseum was at the time the largest event arena made Greensboro any better over the years? Has Four Seasons? Has Project 561?

Greensboro has always been the underdog in regards to Charlotte and Raleigh and there is nothing wrong with the city wanting to share the successes of those cities. Yes Greensboro competes because it's often overlooked when companies want to expand in NC. They look at Charlotte and Raleigh first. Honestly ever city is guilty of it. Even Charlotte as it aspires to be like Atlanta.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

For what it's worth, I think there's a very practical reason for the Tanger Performing Arts Center to need to be bigger than DPAC.... and that's largely because without that size (along with the other state of the art amenities it will have), Greensboro would have a VERY hard time attracting acts (like the ones that go to DPAC and Charlotte now). By having the best PAC in North Carolina and being driveable from Durham, Charlotte, and Raleigh, it may make some acts think twice about bypassing Greensboro. 

That said, I do wonder if after a few years if that luster will wear off and Greensboro will be stuck with few major acts/Broadway travelling shows.

Also, yeah, you're right that there are a few in Greensboro that take that "competition" too far. The reality is that Greensboro isn't going to become anywhere near what Charlotte is in our lifetimes (I'm in my early/mid-30s).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HRVT said:

For what it's worth, I think there's a very practical reason for the Tanger Performing Arts Center to need to be bigger than DPAC.... and that's largely because without that size (along with the other state of the art amenities it will have), Greensboro would have a VERY hard time attracting acts (like the ones that go to DPAC and Charlotte now). By having the best PAC in North Carolina and being driveable from Durham, Charlotte, and Raleigh, it may make some acts think twice about bypassing Greensboro. 

Good point. From that perspective I think striving to have the biggest and best is a respectable goal, but if it is done simply to have bragging rights then I must question that motive.

2 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Good point. From that perspective I think striving to have the biggest and best is a respectable goal, but if it is done simply to have bragging rights then I must question that motive.

Exactly... in fact I think that just about any time I see a proposal that is set up largely for bragging rights, it's almost always an idiotic idea. Project 561 for instance was absolutely ridiculous.  There just isn't any large scale demand for office space in downtown Greensboro (largely because office space in general tends to be spread throughout Greensboro rather than confined to downtown). If there were more demand for such a tower, there would have also been at least a few other 200-300 foot towers built in the last 30 years. Otherwise, the only way a city like Greensboro is going to get a 500+ foot tower is by attracting the corporate headquarters of a big company (or at least a large presence of one).

As for Four Seasons, I think its fall tends to spring (yes, this laughably bad seasons pun was intentional) from the death of indoor shopping malls in general, though it's likely that Four Seasons being bigger than it really ever needed to be actually helps partially to its demise. IMO, Four Seasons should try to find a way to shrink its retail size (perhaps by re-configuring some retail area into luxury apartments and/or creating more common space?). It also must find a way to capture at least some of the high end shops that have been choosing Friendly Center.

9 hours ago, HRVT said:

Exactly... in fact I think that just about any time I see a proposal that is set up largely for bragging rights, it's almost always an idiotic idea. Project 561 for instance was absolutely ridiculous.  There just isn't any large scale demand for office space in downtown Greensboro (largely because office space in general tends to be spread throughout Greensboro rather than confined to downtown). If there were more demand for such a tower, there would have also been at least a few other 200-300 foot towers built in the last 30 years. Otherwise, the only way a city like Greensboro is going to get a 500+ foot tower is by attracting the corporate headquarters of a big company (or at least a large presence of one).

As for Four Seasons, I think its fall tends to spring (yes, this laughably bad seasons pun was intentional) from the death of indoor shopping malls in general, though it's likely that Four Seasons being bigger than it really ever needed to be actually helps partially to its demise. IMO, Four Seasons should try to find a way to shrink its retail size (perhaps by re-configuring some retail area into luxury apartments and/or creating more common space?). It also must find a way to capture at least some of the high end shops that have been choosing Friendly Center.

I have to disagree about Project 561. A portion of it would have been office. The rest a parking deck, hotel and residential to achieve  the height 

Edited by cityboi

3 hours ago, cityboi said:

I have to disagree about Project 561. A portion of it would have been office. The rest a parking deck, hotel and residential to achieve  the height 

You totally miss the point we're trying to make. The goal should never be to achieve a certain height. That's what makes 561 so ridiculous and clearly motivated by ego.

• Like 1

Give props to Greensboro and Durham for building these places to attract events to the state. Is it true that the last time Raleigh Memorial Hall was renovated was in the 90s? If so, that's pathetic - no wonder the place doesn't draw flies. 

3 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

You totally miss the point we're trying to make. The goal should never be to achieve a certain height. That's what makes 561 so ridiculous and clearly motivated by ego.

In history cities all over the world have built towers to achieve a certain height. New York is one example and in fact there were skyscraper wars to see which developer could build the tallest tower. Nothing ridiculous about it at all. In Greensboro's case it was an effort to really help inject some enthusiasm about downtown development being that downtown has not seen a new tower in 30 years. A "statement tower" would be a good thing for Greensboro.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cityboi said:

In history cities all over the world have built towers to achieve a certain height. New York is one example and in fact there were skyscraper wars to see which developer could build the tallest tower. Nothing ridiculous about it at all. In Greensboro's case it was an effort to really help inject some enthusiasm about downtown development being that downtown has not seen a new tower in 30 years. A "statement tower" would be a good thing for Greensboro.

The difference is that in New York, there is actual demand for space. Developers build the space and the space is leased. In several years in trying to attract interest to Project 561, Carroll got  few nibbles but nothing more.  He didn't get any commitments. It's one thing to have those competitions if the space is going to get filled. But building a building simply to build it is foolish and ends up accomplishing the exact opposite of what is intended (instead of building the city's credibility, it diminishes it).

The city should be more focused on developments like Project Slugger. Heck, if they hadn't shiny red balled on Project 561, it would probably still be a 9 story project and current under construction. It might not generate enthusiasm to the degree of Project 561, but you know what dampens enthusiasm? Failed project after failed project.