Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

cityboi

The YWCA site? really? It wasn't even mentioned in the studies. Is the site even large enough to support a PAC? I'm pretty surprised they went with something so out of left field like this. What was the point of the studies if they go and pick a fourth site that they never even brought before the community.

The YWCA site? really? It wasn't even mentioned in the studies. Is the site even large enough to support a PAC? I'm pretty surprised they went with something so out of left field like this. What was the point of the studies if they go and pick a fourth site that they never even brought before the community.

The YWCA site is actually a little bit larger than the site behind the Carolina Theatre (one of the three sites mentioned in the studies) . It is odd that this site hasn't been promoted like the other sites. It's not a bad site but the fact that city council was in such a hurry to purchase the property a few months ago tells me that the mayor and some of city council had this site in mind all along. I guess they figured it would be politically easier to go ahead and purchase the site before making it's use known and avoid including it in the price tag of the PAC. That way the purchase cost won't be included in the referendum on the public portion. It's a pretty slick maneuver and it looks like they blindsided councilwoman Diane Bellamy Small. She is against a downtown PAC and wants to see it built at the coliseum. However she voted for purchasing the YWCA site without knowing it's intended use. The coliseum is in her district which explains why she wants it built there. Because this is a smaller site, the PAC will have to be built a little taller. The design team will be presenting the architectural design for this site to the task force this week and the task force will present the design to city council next Tuesday. The task force appears to be going along with the recommendation of the New York design firm in terms of the site location. It will be interesting to see this will be a retro design or a sleek contemporary design. I personally would like to see something sleek and contemporary. Downtown needs something different that stands out architecturally. This should be an architectural landmark for the city

Edited by cityboi

Yeah, I mean it's not a bad site, I just found it strange that the council just so happened to buy the site months before. So does this mean festival park will be demolished? I guess I'll wait for the renderings.

It's possible that part of Festival Park could be closed, but there would still be plenty of park space when you combine Festival Park and Center-City Park across the street. Also the part that could potentially be closed could become a public plaza with fountains for the performing arts center. But former mayor Keith Holliday, who saw the renderings, described the design as "absolutely cutting-edge" To me that says sleek and contemporary which is what I have been hoping for! It's about time we start looking like a city of the new south. The renderings should be revealed by Tuesday.

Edited by cityboi

little something I put together to show what the plan is and the nearby amenities. Plenty of parking near the site. A 3,000 seat venue would only need about 1,400 spaces. There are 2,108 parking deck spaces within a block and thats not including on street and surface parking. This is much better than the original plan which showed the venue sitting in the middle of a big parking lot.

Greensboro leaders are also looking at naming rights. A Triad area company could purchase naming rights and it could be called something"The BB&T Center for Performing Arts" or the "Lincoln Financial Center for Performing Arts" Naming rights would help with funding.

gpacywca.jpg

Edited by cityboi

A new park will be part of proposed performing arts center. It will be called "The Carolyn and Maurice LeBauer City Park" The park will have both indoor pavilion and outdoor space. Part of the park is expected to be located in what is now a portion of Summit Avenue between North Elm and North Davie streets. That portion of Summit Avenue would be moved. Part of the park would also serve as a pedestrian connector between the PAC and the Bellemeade Parking Deck. This park will tie together with Festival Park and Center-City Park. I hope they get Halvorson Design Group to design the new park. They did a wonderful job with Center-City Park and I would like to see consistency between the new park and Center-City Park.

http://www.news-reco...park-to-be-part

Edited by cityboi

yep and it is now official that the YWCA site is the chosen site for the performing arts center. Like I said before, the mayor and most of city council knew all along. This is why they quickly purchased the site a few months ago without telling anyone what the site would be used for.

It looks look part of the performing arts center and a plaza is replacing Festival Park. So yeah it looks like Festival Park will be gone. That is likely the reason a new park is going to be built between Davie and South Elm Streets near the PAC. Part of Summit Ave would have to be closed and relocated. I like this new park proposal. Festival Park is really more of a green space with a stage rather than a park. The new proposal will be more of a park/plaza and will include an indoor venue, something that was originally planned for Center-City Park. Downtown will have more than one park. The difference is that the new park will have the "city plaza" element.

Renderings of the performing arts center will be shown tonight at the city council meeting. It's unclear if this will be the FINAL FINAL design But some of the plans, sections and blueprints are pretty detailed based on what I am seeing on the agenda attachment on the city of Greensboro website. It gives a total description including the types of events and construction materials and costs.

agenda attachment ( you'll have to scroll a good ways down to performing arts center section. Save as pdf to view) pgs 137-154

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=15233

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/article/257352/57/Location-Chosen-For-Proposed-GPAC

proposed park/plaza near planned performing arts center (Carolyn and Maurice LeBauer City Park)

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2012/11/28/new-city-park-to-complement-greensboro.html

Edited by cityboi

The rendering of GPAC has been released and I must say I am pleased with the design. Its better than all the other designs and its certainly better than any performing arts center in the state. The interior design exceeds other performing arts center in the state as well. Another interesting thing is that this PAC will have features not found in the Durham Performing Arts Center like the flexible stage. Its designed so that seating on the bottom level can be removed for standing concerts. The architects also came up with an innovative way to project live video images on screens inside. The planned privately funded park/plaza/indoor pavilion adjacent to the performing arts center will be the icing on the cake. With 3,000 seats, it will seat more people than any other performing arts center in the Carolinas as well as the performing arts center in Atlanta. When the Carolina Theatre in Greensboro was built in 1926, it was the largest and most extravagant theater in North Carolina. It was nicked named "Showplace of the Carolina" GPAC could be the showplace for the Carolinas for the 21st century.

post-GPAC.jpg

gpacfinal2.jpg

gpacfinal3.jpg

gpacfinal4.jpg

gpacfinal5.jpg

Edited by cityboi

In terms of square footage DPAC is 8,000 square feet larger but GPAC will have a larger seating capacity. Planners said it shouldn't be too large because spectators need to have good sight lines and people in the back rows shouldn't feel like they are a mile away from the stage. But this will be the most state-of-the-art PAC in North Carolina and it will even include social media technology. What is unique about GPAC is that it would have a flexible stage and seating. It will have the largest stage in NC. It will seat 3,000 but that can be reduced to seat 1,500 for smaller events. Also seats on the stage level can be removed for standing concerts. But I think the planned associated park will put this venue over the top. The park/plaza will be privately funded and include an indoor pavilion. The park would also have large outdoor screens so the public can see some events going on inside the PAC for free. The park would be across the street on Davie and architects have suggested painting a courtyard/plaza pattern on that section of Davie Street so that the new park and center-city park flow together with the PAC. This section of Davie Street would also be closed during big events at the PAC. Here is an example:

Westlake Square in Seattle

2581468054_999ffe9aec_z.jpg

The image below shows the street areas that would be painted. The light green area is where the planned park/plaza is going. The painted streets would make the cultural district feel like one huge plaza. The orange buildings are cultural attractions. The Greensboro Historical Museum is to the north of the PAC, the Greensboro Cultural Arts Center to the south, the main library to the east and the far right orange building is the Greensboro Children's Museum. The light blue buildings are parking decks.

gpacsiteplan.jpg

Here are interior stage set ups for GPAC

gpacinside1.jpggpacinside2.jpggpacinside3.jpg

In this one seats are removed for standing concerts gpacinside4.jpg

The key to all this is funding. The project will cost $60 million. $20 million will come from user fees and hotel/motel tax. $20 million will come from private donors and the other $20 million will come from taxpayers and that portion would have to be put on a bond. The bond is the sticking point. However the task force is working on way to reduce the amount taxpayers would pay or find a creative way to build it without any tax dollars. There are a number of ways to do that like seeking naming rights. At the last minute, a local foundation may step forward and fund the last $20 million. The Joseph M Bryan Foundation completely funded $23 million NewBridge Bank Park. The foundation just sold that ballpark a few months ago which has some people speculating they may use that money to help fund the rest of the PAC. If a portion is put on a ballot, the timing of the vote could be key. City leaders are calling for a special election for this bond next spring as oppose to putting it on the November ballot. When you have special elections, the supporters will likely turn out in larger numbers. But I haven't seen a whole lot of opposition to this unlike the baseball stadium. Even at city council meetings the place seems to be packed with supporters and not a whole lot of opponents.

Without a doubt the PAC would be the greatest downtown project in recent history because of the impact it would have on the center-city. The variety of events that would take place there would ensure this place is booked year round. Some events would attract people from other metros in NC  like the broadway shows and concerts. Stars like Justin Bieber and Usher are performing at performing arts centers across the country and having big names like that will draw fans from Charlotte and Raleigh. So the impact on downtown is great. It would be the first time downtown has a venue that would attract people from outside the region. The PAC will be a catalyst for more restaurants, entertainment attractions and development. It would also expand the nightlife away from Elm Street.

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...
Council to consider providing $20 million for the proposed downtown Greensboro Performing Arts Center and they have the votes. If everything goes as planned the center will be open by 2016.

The venue would have 2,950 seats, more than any PAC in the Carolinas.

Proposed downtown Greensboro Performing Arts Center (GPAC). 

gpac2013a.jpg

very tall performing arts center. Looks like its 7 or 8 stories tall.

gpac2013b.jpg

gpac2013c.jpg
Edited by cityboi

Looks like they are going to try to build this without bond money which mean it would be paid for without having to go to the voters. The total cost of the performing arts center will be $60 million. The financing will be a combination of:

$20 private donations

$20 million in user fees/ticket tax/hotel-motel tax

$20 million in grants and fundraising (naming rights could help pay for it too)

In addition, a privately funded urban park plaza with an indoor pavilion will be built next to the performing arts center. The park will serve as a plaza for the performing arts center and could have large outdoor screens that show some performances inside the performing arts center. Part of Summit Ave will have to be relocated for the park. The park will be called the Carolyn and Maurice LeBauer City Park. Center-City Park is also across the street from the PAC site so there may be an opportunity to connect the two parks. The PAC architects also recommended painting the street in a brick/stone pattern to look like a plaza. That way The two parks and the PAC will look like one big complex like in the photo below (West Lake Square in Seattle) The streets would be closed off during major PAC events.

courtesy of pjf.net

2581468054_999ffe9aec_z.jpg

http://myfox8.com/2013/02/05/gpac-task-force-final-report/

park to complement PAC

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2012/11/28/new-city-park-to-complement-greensboro.html

With 3,000 seats, it will be the largest performing arts center in North Carolina. Unlike the other PACs in North Carolina, this one will have flexible seating. Seating can be removed on the main floor for stand up concerts. It will also have a wider stage than DPAC or the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center in Charlotte. This means more stage area for Broadway productions.

gpac2013a.jpggpac2013b.jpg

Another unique feature are projections.

Large scale projections are ideal for the balcony and brings the performance closer to the seats. The audience can look straight out to see large images instead of always looking down at the stage.

gpac2013c.jpg

gpacdesign1b.jpg

symphony-format.jpg

gpacdesign1.jpggpacdesign2.jpggpacdesign3.jpg

Streets painted in brick pattern

gpacdesign4.jpggpacdesign5.jpggpacdesign6.jpg

Edited by cityboi

I think you misunderstood the article you quoted.  The city will still need to go before voters for the Bonds.  I pulled the quote out from the Fox news report below with added bolded emphasis.   The city needs to issue the bonds first and then pay for them with the user fees and/or ticket tax.

"The $20 million from the city is going to be a combination of user fees which would be a ticket tax, something like whoever buys a ticket is going to help pay for the bond debt service."

Urbanity, on 06 Feb 2013 - 10:25, said:

I think you misunderstood the article you quoted. The city will still need to go before voters for the Bonds. I pulled the quote out from the Fox news report below with added bolded emphasis. The city needs to issue the bonds first and then pay for them with the user fees and/or ticket tax.

"The $20 million from the city is going to be a combination of user fees which would be a ticket tax, something like whoever buys a ticket is going to help pay for the bond debt service."

Thanks for the correction. Well as long as the voters know their taxes won't go up to pay for this. I think that is key to whether or not it passes. Unless the city council opts for a certificates of participation bond without voter approval. Durham proceeded with that kind of bond for DPAC. Certificates of participation bond has been controversial among Greensboro city council members but if the taxpayers won't being paying for the $20 million in the end, city council may feel more comfortable going that route. Councilman Matheny has talked with staff and has said $20 million can come from user fees and hotel/motel tax. Part of the user fees would come from downtown parking. Whether or  not this is partially built with bond money, the end result will be the same. Greensboro residents taxes will not go up to pay for it and the money won't come from the general fund.

Edited by cityboi

Yeah, if I recall correctly (I could be entirely mistaken) cities in NC can issue certain bonds without voter approval. Anyway, I'm glad to see this moving forward. Are we positive this is the final design of the complex or is it more of a proof of concept?

I assume this is the final design or extremely close to it. I say that because the architects created detailed floor plans and descriptions about materials being used to build it. This is not typically done for concepts. I don't think they would stray too far away from the design because the cost estimates are based on this design. Doing something entirely different could change the cost of this project and we'd likely see something north of $60 million. Honestly I love this design and I want to see it built exactly like rendering. But I guess we'll see.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...