Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

cityboi

• 4 weeks later...

Here is one of the concept designs H3 Architects presented to the city of Greensboro for the 3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. It will be interesting to see if the final design will look similar to this or entirely different. The design is suppose to be revealed this summer with construction starting in the fall. The center will have a giant video screen on the building showing some events in the center as well as for showing information about upcoming events.

10390225_318717535002453_818116150452306

One of the concepts for the interior is to have large ceiling panels used as video screens. Another unique feature of the planned center not found in many performing arts centers is to have removable seats for standing concerts

flat-floor-format.jpg

Edited by cityboi

There are more attractive buildings at the airport that look better than that thing.  How many million???  Of course Greensboro's architecture downtown is a little sub-rate with all the glass boxes here and there.

Edited by RichardC

• 1 month later...

Demolition of War Memorial Auditorium is underway at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The auditorium has served as Greensboro's performing arts venue for over 50 years. Construction will start on the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greensboro this fall. Designs are now being finalized But there are rumors that the committee responsible for selecting the design may go for a design option that could push this from a $65 million venue to as high as $90 million. If an additional $10 to $25 million can't be raised, they'll have to consider final designs that fall under the $65 million budget.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2015/07/27/demolition-of-war-memorial-auditorium-now-underway.html

• 1 month later...

While I'm not sure if this is the final final design, its the most recent illustration presented to the center's donors and city leaders. (there have already been five or six different designs) This  may be fairly close to the final design for the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. These designs were presented in June. Construction is schedule to begin in October.

DIRT-Screen-shot-2015-08-04-at-3-47-41-P

Screen-shot-2015-08-04-at-3-48-26-PM.136

Screen-shot-2015-08-04-at-3-48-56-PM.136

the site

tanger3.jpg

tanger1.jpg

Edited by cityboi

• 2 months later...

PAC organizers are looking to close the gap with additional user fees. It appears as though the donors would rather come up with the extra money instead of big cut that would diminish the quality and design of the facility. They want to get this right however it appears as though opening day will be delayed yet another year...Spring 2018

City, private donors look to close funding gap for Greensboro's performing arts center.

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/city-private-donors-look-to-close-funding-gap-for-greensboro/article_e19cce86-c4fc-54c8-88bd-9c8806695562.html

How seating, sound and lighting will shape the audience experience at planned Greensboro Performing Arts Center

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/how-seating-sound-and-lighting-will-shape-the-audience-experience/article_b9a4cb00-fb35-53f3-bb61-7227941b47fc.html

• 1 month later...

Final renderings of the $78 million 3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts will finally be revealed Wednesday. Nearly  $40 million comes from private donors. The rest will be paid for through hotel motel tax and user fees. It's an amazing feat to pay for a center at that price without public tax dollars. The price is almost doubled the price of DPAC in Durham.  The center is named after Steven Tanger, president and CEO of Greensboro based Tanger Outlets. Construction will begin this Summer. It will be the largest performing arts venue between Atlanta and Washington DC 

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/tanger-center-design-to-be-unveiled/article_364fbef1-80bd-5a6b-bd92-597c86f7096c.html?TNNoMobile

Edited by cityboi

9 hours ago, cityboi said:

The final design for the performing arts center is revealed. Construction starts this summer 

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2016/01/27/first-look-the-steven-tanger-center-for-the.html

GPAC1_zpsvgv3y12b.jpg

Looks good! I know the hopes were that this would be well under construction at this point, and it may be a tad scaled back from what they had initially decided to do, but it's still going to be a fine facility. I know I'll be looking forward to some musicals (well my wife will I should say).

Maybe it's just me, but I'm unimpressed.  The materials look great, and I'm sure in conjunction with the park, it will be a great asset.  But, I just find it uninspiring of a design.  I mean, it's basically a box.  Now, the interior design is pretty great, but this could have a better design.  Maybe the finished product will break my impression for the better. 

well I know they had to cut back to stay under budget. The facility will cost $78 million. My guess is that a lot of money went into technolology in the building. Its not a bold design like many expected but Im still impressed

Edited by cityboi

I have to agree with Rufus. The final design is a bit uninspiring. It could well be a courthouse or some other government building just looking at this entrance rendering. Durham's has more visual impact or the kind of impact that suggests high art inside. Although I'm sure the building will be state of the art, I just wish more of that art was in the facade. Still, this is great for Greensboro.

Edited by gso27

• 10 months later...

New details about amenities for the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. The opening will take place in 2019. The whole project will cost $80 million and will have 3,000 white oak seats upholstered in red. It will be the largest performing arts center in the Carolinas. The Durham Performing Arts Center is currently the largest with 100,000 square feet and 2,800 seats. The Steven Tanger Center will be 111,000 square feet with 3,000 seats. One side of the center will have a roof top terrace overlooking Lebauer Park and the North Elm St side will have a street side patio area. Greensboro managed to accomplish something that very few cities can do and that's to build an $80 million civic project with just user fees, hotel/motel tax and millions of dollars from generous donors and foundations. Taxpayers will not have to foot the bill. The center was named after Steven Tanger, president of Greensboro based Tanger Factory Outlets, who purchased naming rights.

Look for Tanger Center in 2019 - Go Triad: A&E Extra - News-Record.com

5855e105c5c67.image.jpg?resize=1170%2C68

5855e10948b84.image.jpg?resize=1170%2C69

5855e10aabbd6.image.jpg?resize=1170%2C75

5855e10867587.image.jpg?resize=1170%2C75

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts to have a superior sound system not found in any venue of its size in the United States

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/tanger-center-will-have-premier-sound-system/article_4d5f80c5-ca9d-540c-8326-3f588efd064c.html

Edited by cityboi

• 4 weeks later...

For those who said they'll believe it when it happens, the groundbreaking for the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts is set for April 26. 

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/tanger-performing-arts-center-groundbreaking-planned-for-april/article_57945b70-c08a-5c50-8a5d-48c59b0b056d.html

http://myfox8.com/2017/03/14/groundbreaking-for-tanger-performing-arts-center-in-greensboro-set-for-april-26/

Edited by cityboi

• 1 month later...

Ground has been broken for the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. 

Finally! Greensboro mayor Nancy Vaughn, Governor Roy Cooper and other dignitaries where there for the groundbreaking. The 3, 000 seat venue will open in June 2019. The center is named after Steven Tanger, president and CEO of Greensboro based Tanger Outlets. 

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/greensboro-breaks-ground-for-tanger-center-video/article_005109a4-885a-568b-9a14-54271679f2cc.html

5900e7abaf55f.image.jpg?resize=1200,785

5900dc2a88882.image.jpg?resize=1200,706

Edited by cityboi

20 hours ago, cityboi said:

Ground has been broken for the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. 

Finally! Greensboro mayor Nancy Vaughn, Governor Roy Cooper and other dignitaries where there for the groundbreaking. The 3, 000 seat venue will open in June 2019. The center is named after Steven Tanger, president and CEO of Greensboro based Tanger Outlets. 

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/greensboro-breaks-ground-for-tanger-center-video/article_005109a4-885a-568b-9a14-54271679f2cc.html

Exterior-Sign-Content-Slide-fe6efd3261.j

Theatre-Content-Slide-360462e756.jpg

Lobby-Daytime-Content-Slide-7b46e51b99.j

Exterior-Rendering-Content-slide-df7022c

Exterior-Rendering2-Content-Slide-1676d6

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is still enough land to build an adjoining tower whether it be a hotel or residential tower. The original concept from the rendering you posted was to build an adjoining high-rise new federal courthouse. Construction was suppose to begin in 2006. The economy started tanking and the Bush administration/congress  halted most of the federal  courthouse projects in the country. The plan for a high-rise federal courthouse somewhere  in downtown Greensboro is still on the back burner today. But it's been so long who knows if it will ever get built. The design of this PAC may not be an architectural icon for the city but it's not a bad design. This center is close to $90 million more than doubled the cost of DPAC in Durham. Design wise they are equally about the same so it's obvious that much of that money went on the inside. It will be a top state-of-the-art center unlike any in the state with the best sound system and with 3,000 seats will seat more than any PAC in the Carolinas. From what I understand very few PACs in the country have the kind of sound system the Tanger Center will have.

Edited by cityboi

• 3 weeks later...

I

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

When is the Tanger Center supposed to open?  On other note like the Jeans around town! Jeansboro. 

DSCN2971.JPG

DSCN2975.JPG

DSCN2977.JPG

The Tanger Center is suppose to open in 2019. I see you went on a downtown tour and noticed the jeans hehe. Yes they are cool

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

When is the Tanger Center supposed to open?  On other note like the Jeans around town! Jeansboro. 

In theory, 2019. In reality, I'd say more likely 2020 or 2021. If it opens at all (likely that it will, but the chance is more than negligible that the deal falls through, maybe about 30%). I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of the project getting watered down some to keep within budget.

Edited by HRVT