Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there will be a very large centerpiece artwork/sculpture on the 2 story high ceiling of the Phillips Hall lobby in the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. Matt Brown with the city of Greensboro said there will be a big surprise and that the centerpiece on the ceiling will be 15 feet wide by 75 feet long. It is being designed by an internationally known artist being paid for by the Phillips Foundation. Two sections of the exterior wall along North Elm Street will be covered by Virginia Creeper Ivy vines to add warmth and color to the monolithic white exterior. A second floor outdoor terrace will overlook LeBauer Park

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Rufus said:

What's the sidewalk treatment looking like? I think I see some planting strips? That looks like a pretty sad sidewalk situation, so i hope the sides of the building at least enhance the view. 

The walls on the side do look plain but they are going to plant Virginia Creeper vines with blooms that will climb the walls. As far as the sidewalks go, they still may do something interesting with that. I would also expect to see decorative lighting. They should have inset the building a little more for a wider sidewalk on North Elm Street.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Steven Tanger Center is picking up some nice shows. Patti Labelle will be performing live in concert. The Price is Right Live is also coming to the Tanger Center. I believe  Mark Wahlberg hosts it and people in the audience are picked at random like the tv show.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/mobile/article/life/price-is-right-live-greensboro-tanger-center-tickets/83-6d5a60ce-15a7-4939-9c4e-30f2ec5b2700

• Like 2

Looking more and more complete. Gorgeous facility. I love the limestone and glass. Hard to believe that concepts for a performing arts center on this site began 20 years ago as a part of Action Greensboro's downtown comprehensive plan put together by Cooper Carry out of Atlanta. The concept has evolved over that period of time with several design renderings. Almost the entire downtown revitalization plan put forward by Action Greensboro back in 1999 has come to fruition.

But this venue has definitely become a development magnet. Many of the projects being built downtown, particularly the hotels would not have proceeded forward if is wasn't for the PAC. It will be managed by the coliseum folks and coliseum director Matt Brown wants to submit a bid for the Steven Tanger Center to serve as a location for one of the presidential debates between Donald Trump and the Democratic nominee.

20191124_085537.jpg

20191124_085623.jpg

20191124_085648.jpg

20191124_085816.jpg

20191124_090030.jpg

20191124_090053.jpg

You can seen Project Slugger (400 Bellemeade) in the background 

20191124_090124.jpg

20191124_093850.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4