Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

cityboi

42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

it is funny they have the electronic sign done before the building but actually is marketing genius.  Great way to advertise the upcoming events and get people excited.  THIS is the biggest project for downtown Greensboro of the decade. 

It's going to be fun watching Greensboro and Durham duke it out for the final spot on the proverbial statewide podium, now that Durham has closed the gap so much.  It seems like GSO had been in somewhat of a rut while Durham had a string of huge developments like One City Center, 555 Mangum/Van Alen, and the like, but Durham seems to have hit somewhat of a wall now that activity in Greensboro has picked up with Bellemead, Project Slugger, and GPAC (not to mention the coming Carroll south of ballpark project).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

It's going to be fun watching Greensboro and Durham duke it out for the final spot on the proverbial statewide podium, now that Durham has closed the gap so much.  It seems like GSO had been in somewhat of a rut while Durham had a string of huge developments like One City Center, 555 Mangum/Van Alen, and the like, but Durham seems to have hit somewhat of a wall now that activity in Greensboro has picked up with Bellemead, Project Slugger, and GPAC (not to mention the coming Carroll south of ballpark project).

When I look at Durham, it seems like a hybrid of both Greensboro and Winston-Salem to some degree. But when it comes to theaters and arena, Greensboro always goes over the top. When the Carolina Theatre opened in 1927, it was billed as the Showplace of the Carolinas. The Greensboro Coliseum Complex is one of the largest and one of the most unique facilities in the United States. And now the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing will be the largest performing arts center in the Carolinas when it opens in the spring dethroning DPAC in Durham as the state's performing arts crown jewel.  The Tanger Center will have a larger stage than any other in the state and seat more than 3,000. That's one thing I can give Greensboro credit for. The city does it right when it comes to these kind of venues. The Tanger Center will likely remain that crown jewel until Charlotte realizes that it must build an even larger and more extravagant performing arts center.  Charlotte likes to be on top haha.

Some have had doubts that The Tanger Center will not be as successful as DPAC. But based on early deposits for Broadway shows, it will be just as successful if not more.

Matt Brown:

"To reach our limit of 12,000 early deposits seven weeks ahead of the public on-sale date is an extraordinary accomplishment,"

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

WXII News Channel 12 interview about the Tanger Center. It was revealed in the interview that the outdoor plaza will have a water feature. Another interesting fact is that it will have one of the largest performing arts center stages in the country.  Over 50 feet deep.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Di5S5Uz8jCU?fbclid=IwAR2jooEHADq39MF5ROYWdU38-A7YGWTaPPEvlcrapo070hkl929z9nmNHMI

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Neo changed the title to Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts
On 12/10/2019 at 6:49 PM, KJHburg said:

I think DPAC will hold its own as the Triangle area is so fast growing and even my friends in eastern NC make trips to Durham.  However this Tanger Center will do real good too and fill in a gap  between Durham and Charlotte.  Plus serve a large part of southern VA too.  

I significantly prefer Greensboro to Durham, but  I think that DPAC will draw the best shows because the Triangle has a depth of education and culture that is unparalleled in NC and in the southeast generally.   Also, I think that the Triangle is more prosperous than Greensboro.   I view this impartially because while I currently live in Chapel Hill, I'll always view my original NC home, Charlotte, as the top NC city.  These are just my observations, but I am very impressed with the level of education  and sophistication that Chapel Hill/Durham residents possess.  I liken it to a mini Boston.

Despite the foregoing, I look forward to visiting Tanger.  I think that Greensboro is a great little city.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Big opening weekend for the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. Tony Bennett, Josh Groban and Jay Leno will all perform opening weekend in March. That facility is going to be a big draw to downtown Greensboro. I hear they plan to submit a bid to host one of the presidential debates between Donald Trump and the Democratic nominee. That would be a pretty big deal putting Greensboro in the prime time national spotlight and having major media networks in downtown Greensboro from all across the country.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2020/02/28/tony-bennett-added-to-lineup-for-tanger-centers.html?iana=hpmvp_triad_news_headline

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

The signage is up and it looks like the exterior is pretty much done and they are working on landscaping. The Steven Tanger Center is now officially the largest performing arts center in the Carolinas surpassing DPAC in size and capacity. Opens in about two weeks 

20200305_173715.jpg

20200305_173803.jpg

20200305_173857.jpg

20200305_173947.jpg

20200305_174011.jpg

20200305_174140.jpg

20200305_174316.jpg

You can see the largest art sculpture hanging inside the lobby 

20200305_174329.jpg

20200305_174406.jpg

20200305_174431.jpg

20200305_174554.jpg

20200305_174607.jpg

20200305_174657.jpg

5e540162eea8f.image (1).jpg

5e5469a99d71e.image.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

Opening night should be a hit. Grammy award winning Josh Groban will be performing and tickets are not cheap at all. For this performance ticket prices will range between $80 - $180 a person depending on which section you sit in and up to $750 for the "pre show experience"

(Personal photo opportunity with Josh Groban Invitation to the Pre-Show Lounge, featuring: Catered appetizers and desserts Open beer and wine bar* One (1) exclusive Josh Groban VIP merchandise gift One (1) parking pass (one per order) One (1) commemorative laminate and lanyard Dedicated venue entrance with early entry, on-site experience host)

20200306_115842.jpg

20200307_195327.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could like this building...I really do. But, there are parts of the design that just feel, not thought out, or almost incomplete. It feels very bare, staid, and "beige." Now, of course, it's still brand new, and one hopes that being an active site with lots of pedestrians and attendees will enliven the space. But it still feels, cold. Even the interior doesn't feel special. 

Now, of course, it's also my opinion. Far be it for me to be the design guru. I do wish for more glass, ornamentation rather than a box with limestone. But that's just me. This is still going to enhance the experience downtown. 

On 3/31/2020 at 2:27 PM, Rufus said:

I wish I could like this building...I really do. But, there are parts of the design that just feel, not thought out, or almost incomplete. It feels very bare, staid, and "beige." Now, of course, it's still brand new, and one hopes that being an active site with lots of pedestrians and attendees will enliven the space. But it still feels, cold. Even the interior doesn't feel special. 

Now, of course, it's also my opinion. Far be it for me to be the design guru. I do wish for more glass, ornamentation rather than a box with limestone. But that's just me. This is still going to enhance the experience downtown. 

My only complaint is that there is not much design on the sides and back of the building. Maybe there is anticipation of development near the rear. They also mentioned planting flowering vines going up the sides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityboi said:

My only complaint is that there is not much design on the sides and back of the building. Maybe there is anticipation of development near the rear. They also mentioned planting flowering vines going up the sides.

That makes me optimistic. Even if it is a temporary thing, it would be nice to put vines and flowers along the sides. I'm hopeful this does spur development on either side to help densify and activate the area. 

• Like 1