Spanish Town

buckett5425

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...
Historic Spanish Town apartments have new owner

Commercial real estate broker Benjamin Stalter has acquired two historic apartment buildings in the 600 block of Spanish Town Road from Stuart Nixon and is planning to restore them using historic building tax credits. "We are really excited," says Stalter, who will be taking his first stab at historic restoration with a group of partners that includes Robert Lay and Derek Fitch. "This is a passion I have always had but the right opportunity never presented itself, until now." Stalter paid just $185,000 for both of the 1920s-era buildings, but they need a lot of work. One is merely in bad condition, and the other was nearly destroyed by fire in 2009. Nixon wanted to tear down both buildings after the fire, but preservationists mounted a campaign to save them. Nixon relented after finding what he thought was a buyer in developer John Schneider, who has done historic restoration projects downtown and said he wanted to restore the buildings. But after trying for three years, Schneider walked away from the deal, saying it was too costly to properly restore the structures—even with the help of tax credits. Stalter is undeterred by Schneider's experience and believes the buildings can be properly restored and still be a good investment. "I see a lot of potential in Spanish Town," he says. "It's a good market, and with everything going on downtown, this is going to be a high-demand area."—Stephanie Riegel

Businessreport.com

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Spanish Town really is a gem. It's a shame it doesn't cover more ground. 

Although the scarcity of it all is probably one of the things that makes people love it so much. 

On the subject of the Spanish Town, has anyone heard anything about The Elysian? Is the place experiencing any success? 

Definitely want it to be a catalyst for more reinvestment in that area. 

There's not many commerical buildings in ST. I'd like to see more activity though, such a beautiful neighborood in a city known to many as a suburban city.

What you would see is residences converted into cafes, galleries, boutiques, and such. 

I hope so anyway. I doubt anyone trying to knock down buildings to put up something new would get much support from the community. 

You don't think long-time residents would oppose those new businesses?

The only point I intended to make is that a business with dreams of new construction has no hope in ST. It would have to work within the shell of what's already there. Whether or not residents would welcome them, I think would depend entirely on the nature of the business--just like in any other neighborhood.  

Anyway, all that's just talk. The real hurdle I'm thinking would be sweet talking the right people and getting zoning stuff worked out? 

I'm a bit confused, I thought Spanish Town was really run down despite a few nice neighborhoods. Why wouldn't they support positive redevelopment that would make the community more beautiful and bring more people in? 

Spanish Town is a small enclave in the northwestern section of downtown. Property values are very high. 

Spanish Town Road does continue east of I-110 into a more run-down area (around The Elysian) but that area is not generally considered a part of ST proper. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wish this could be re-introduced in 2016...with all he new residential projects taking place in Downtown BR....

7 years after the fact in 09'...this block at the west end of Spanish Town in the shadows of the State Capitol..this land still remains vacant where the proposed Capitol Lofts were never built; it was met with opposition from the preservationalist/as well as some residents concerned about the density (76 new units?)& lack of parking.......i appreciate historic structures; but the two houses that were to be demolished were not that special....( block east of/next to proposed new state bldg i posted in pg#2/Capitol Complex)...

DSCN1326_zpsbpoez9cq.jpg

Here was the proposed Capitol Lofts..sorry it never got off the ground

loftplans061009.jpg

061009apartments.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

^^^^OF COURSE....2 1/2 Years since the last Post....NOTHING!:rolleyes:   Only part of the reason places like Austin & Nashville continue to leave Baton Rouge in the dust!

Here's a view from the State Capitol observation deck:shades:....Capitol Lofts(in above post) could have been icing on the cake for Spanish Town's renaissance  across the street from the ole' Capitol Arsenal canopy of greenery...would have been roughly same size as Lake Towers(shown next to I-110)) ; AND Next door also  NOTHING on the Economic Development Bldg that is just concrete slabs from demolished Insurance Bldg in the shadows of the Capitol...

Also...Elysian II under construction other side of I-110

Proposed Economic Development Bldg = BLUE

Proposed Capitol Lofts = YELLOW

Lake Towers = PINK CIRCLE

DSCN1550.JPG

Edited by richyb83

I think the concern of residents was that it would bring too much traffic into the area and that there wouldn't be enough parking for both the new residents and the workers for the economic development building. 
I would definitely like to see something go in that spot though. 
Wonder if an underground structure would work. Deeper than what is currently there of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This looks pretty cool with the Promenade along Capital Lake ...not many details .. 

Wonder how the project on the above post at the next block is doing?

24-building condo development, lakefront promenade planned for Spanish Town

https://www.wbrz.com/news/24-building-condo-development-lakefront-promenade-planned-for-spanish-town

https://dcer237tfveol.cloudfront.net/v2/0NQDrRnZ3SswZSAxIjEcuAvlkef4l7KtPbLXkiAJqAWY28RDQN8RZBpu3TpgC6LxpNEhKMi48CTwYCH5Te47MVGOD96O9E6CN1QeVp1klXENL9Q9KJof0ONrQkwMw5cDQ

• Like 1

Lake Towers are pretty ugly.   

But Yeah - I think this is going to be a very good development.   Hopefully it will be a benchmark of what is possible and accepted in Spanish Town.   

The old Economic Development building site should be turned into something nice.   THAT might be more appropriate for a large residential mid rise and hotel.  It's not a historic site, and it was home to a large building before.   

• Like 2