Northside Developments

westsider28

Wanted to post an update on the Northside Healthy Food Hub. As reported by the Spartanburg Spark in this article, it's going to be discussed at the City Council meeting this evening (city funding and whatnot). Here's a picture of the site plan:

Healthy-Food-Hub.jpg

I'm really excited about this project. It's also cool that they're adding on-street parking to Howard Street.

Wanted to post an update on the Northside Healthy Food Hub. As reported by the Spartanburg Spark in this article, it's going to be discussed at the City Council meeting this evening (city funding and whatnot). Here's a picture of the site plan:

Healthy-Food-Hub.jpg

I'm really excited about this project. It's also cool that they're adding on-street parking to Howard Street.

I'm thrilled about this project. I've always believed in this part of town. VCOM and now the food hub will both be the catalyst for some good things to come. Thanks for posting this information!

Edited by roads-scholar

I'm sure this is just a misrepresentation, but aren't the parking spaces at the rear of the site going the wrong direction? The others seem to suggest one-way traffic and then the rear spaces suggest one-way traffic in the other direction. Odd.

Also, is Howard Street one way? If not, then those parking spaces are also angled the wrong direction... who is their site planner? No matter what stage in the design process you're in, those kind of details should always be correct.

Otherwise, the project looks really neat!

Edited by GvilleSC

I think the badk in spaces are for vendors to unload their trucks and cars more easily? It would also eliminate the need for vendors to go between vehicles to get their produce into the shed etc. When leaving they would simply pull out and around. It is an open air shed, so the display area and access could be the rear of trucks or vans etc.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd start a separate thread about Northside Developments since, hopefully, there will be a good many things to discuss in the future. Spartan (or another moderator), could you move posts already about this topic (like some of mine on the Healthy Food Hub in the DT Projects & Development thread, etc) to this thread?

The Northside has officially joined the Purpose Built Communities network. The non-profit, led by former Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin, uses a revitalization model that focuses on mixed-income housing, strong schools, community facilities and support services and a dedicated lead organization to drive the process.

Herald-Journal article

Done.

I think this is a good thread. The north side of town is a unique place. I think a lot of Spartans are quick to forget about the amount of poverty within the city limits. If Spartanburg as a community can successfully work to address the specific sets of challenges within its boundaries then the whole city will be a lot more appealing in most respects.

• 3 months later...

I was driving throught the Northside yesterdayand started looking around a little more closely after I saw the Food Hub sign. I wanted to explore the area a little more closely as I drive up and down Magnolia, Howard, Pearl, and Cleveland Park Dr fairly regularly. I started going up and down some of the side streets that connect Howard & Magnolia and Pearl & College (where VCOM is). What I noticed is that there are many boarded up houses with keep out signs on them. I didn't get close enough to look at the signs posted, but I assume the city is going to demolish these homes. Can anyone verify that?

Things are still very seedy if you go further down Pearl to either Williams or Wofford St. The city can windown dress the Food Hub on the fronts and rear (Howard, College, & Magnolia), but to fully solve the problem the rest of the neighborhood is going to have to be addressed.

Also is there any chance that the motel that is on Church and backs up to Magnolia can be done away with? Its as much of a problem as the ones at the Pine/Main intersection. I can't believe the city and/or GDJ can't apply enough pressure to make these eye sores go away.

• 1 month later...

The City just received a $300,000 federal grant for community redevelopment in the Northside. We are now in the running for a $30 million federal grant. I believe this current grant will be used mostly for planning purposes. The grant centers on 2 public housing projects: Oakview Terrace and Archibald Rutledge.

The city wants to go beyond just housing improvements and look at improving schools, adding jobs, addressing health concerns, and attracting middle-income residents. This is certainly a good step. If we can get that $30 million grant, we'll really be in business.

Herald-Journal article

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a series of articles in the Herald -Journal today discussing the Northside Development Corp. and the partnership with the City of Spartanburg to revitalize the "Northside" neighborhood as part of the neighborhood planning grant that was awarded last year.

As an aside, I always thought that area was called Cleveland Park. One of the articles discusses that at various times it was called Cleveland Park and Spartan Heights. As neighborhoods from that era go, Spartan Heights would seem appropriate since the terrain is on a hill, and it offers views of some of the taller buildings downtown. Either of them sound better than Northside, which to me implies a much broader area, extending beyond the city limits. One of the things that I find annoying about Spartanburg is the amount of neighborhoods without an identity- Hampton Heights and Converse Heights being the biggest exceptions... maybe South Converse too. My opinion is that because of the geography associated with the grant, the term "north side" was used since it appears to cover parts of at least two neighborhoods.

Anyway, right now there is an effort to buy up old, dilapidated houses and tear them down so they don't become dens of criminal activity. Then, its lining up people to invest in the remaining properties, and I assume to build new houses on the vacant land at some point. They are also discussing with the neighborhood about razing the Oakview Apartments, which is a public housing project build in the late 40s. It's located on the southwest side of Howard Street, at Aden Street.

This is part of the broader effort to bring residents back to the city and reinvest in downtown. In order to do both of those things, you need to have healthy neighborhoods where people can live in close proximity to downtown. Northside has "good bones" in that it has a prime location (geographically), it has amenities comparable to Converse Heights in terms of the neighborhood- an elementary school, parks, walking distance to two colleges, good housing stock, and access to major employent centers: SRMC, downtown, and the colleges.

One of the things that I think would help change the image of that area is to rename Howard Street all the way out to California Ave. It has had a bad reputation for years. I'm not suggesting that renaming it would change anything, but it would be a sign of change. The other thing I think they should do is rename Pearl Street and Arch Street to the same name (change one to the other). I don't have a preference of which one, but it would make sense and make the area a little less confusing.

Here are the links to the articles. I recommend reading each of them. They are surprisingly well written for the Herald-Journal.

northside_revitalize_zps92806d54.jpeg

I saw those articles.  They're written by Andrew Doughman, who is really good.  So good, in fact, that he's gotten a job with the Las Vegas Sun and will be moving on up (unfortunately for Spartanburg).

Anyway, I liked the one on the history of the Northside.  I didn't know much about the history in that area, so it helps to better understand the current situation and how to move forward.  And I like Spartan Heights as a name for the area.

I can't wait until all the demolitions are complete and we can start seeing some new construction.  Oh, and there's more to come from this series in the next few days, so stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the Spartanburg Housing Authority website, and I found a few interesting Google Docs of a potential development plan for a part of the Northside along Brawley Street. 

The first document has the most info.  It talks about 2 kinds of duplex (which would replace the current mill houses) with shared driveways and parking in the rear.  It also mentions widening the sidewalks and adding street trees and streetlights.  The second document has a rendering of what the duplexes might look like.

Model Block Concept Plan

Model Block Concept Street Elevation

Here are some screenshots if you can't get those docs to open.

post-24605-0-56782500-1364334574_thumb.j post-24605-0-79506300-1364334575_thumb.j post-24605-0-24578100-1364334577_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I saw a new-ish sign across from VCOM about the Northside Initiative.  But the main thing I noticed was a new site plan design for the Northside Healthy Food Hub.  I can understand the change, since the first plan didn't have much on-site parking (it relied on street and off-site parking that may not have existed when the Food Hub was completed).  That's kind of a bummer, but I do like what seems to be an expanded garden area and the new connection to Farley Street. 

(I tried to upload the older site plan for comparison purposes, but it's not working right now).

8964048465_ae298a6757_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The Spartanburg Housing Authority board of directors has selected a nationally recognized master developer for the city’s Northside initiative.

The board unanimously selected Columbia Residential of Atlanta, one of two firms that submitted proposals for 150 high-quality public housing senior units, 105 federally assisted unites and possibly other units for the mixed-income community that is anchored by the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Spartanburg Housing Authority Executive Director Harry Byrd said the approval signals the beginning of the contract negotiation process and although a price tag for the firm’s work hasn’t been determined, Byrd said it would be no more than $300,000, the amount the city of Spartanburg and the housing authority were awarded through a Housing and Urban Development redevelopment grant late last year.

Certus Bank has made a $100,000 donation to the Northside Development Corp.  The NDC also received a $160,000 loan from the United Way.  To date, the NDC has secured $3 million in financial commitments and loans for Northside redevelopment.

H-J article

A few other tidbits from the article: The Northside Healthy Food Hub should be completed by mid-December.  Also, the Housing Authority announced that 6 condominiums will be constructed starting next month (then possibly 6 more later) on Brawley Street (^see my post above for details).  They'll be leased for 5-6 years to housing authority clients, who will then have the opportunity to purchase the units.

Good to hear about development getting underway here!

Edited by westsider28

I found another rendering of the Northside Healthy Food Hub on the Butterfly Foundation website.  Just some slight differences from the one I posted on June 5.  As I said in that post, it's a bummer about how much parking is included.  Wish the City could've come through with the on-street parking originally proposed (though I think Howard Street is a state road, which complicates things).  Anyway, here's the rendering:

IMAGE69.JPG

And here's the original plan I mentioned in the June 5 post (finally got it to upload) for comparison:

post-24605-0-05055200-1372740700_thumb.j

Edited by westsider28

• 3 weeks later...

A few Northside updates:

The City and Hub-Bub have received a $25,000 grant to help create a cultural plan as part of the Northside redevelopment efforts.  The plan has to encourage creative activity, create community identity and a sense of place, and help revitalize the local economy.

City Council approved an amended development agreement for the Food Hub (to be completed by early 2014).

Council also reallocated $250,000 in federal funds originally budgeted for the Midtowne Heights project toward infrastructure improvements for the Brawley Street project.  Improvements include a new sewer line, a new rear alley, new sidewalks, and repaving.

H-J article

• 3 months later...

A couple updates: The Lowcountry Housing Trust approved a $350,000 loan for the Northside Development Corporation to help fund the construction of the Healthy Food Hub.  Upstate Business Journal article

Also, Hub-Bub has been taking part in the Inside Out Project and has put up photos of Northside residents at the corner of Howard and Pearl Streets.  It's a cool piece of community-focused art.

563701_577115885676098_944171972_n.jpg

• Like 1

I am proud to say, I have purchased a home, which I plan to be my primary place of residence in the "Northside" community(originally Spartan Heights prior to the Cleveland family donating the park).

I agree with the individual which stated this "Northside" name conjures thoughts it is on the outskirts of town(Granted the city limit is very very close, it is not out in the suburbs by any means). We have Hampton Heights, Converse Heights, South Converse Heights, Duncan Park. Northside doesn't fit the bill for neighborhood names in comparison with the established original neighborhoods.

I decided to purchase my home in "Spartan Heights" only after reading of the revitalization and realizing some of the provenance of the area associated with the history of Spartanburg. My new/old home is a Craftsman and it fortunately is still intact. I will be restoring it to it's original state. I am researching the family history of the original builders and am in the process of verifying this was part of Lt. Governor of South Carolina Samuel Farrow's family.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Farrow

I read in some earlier posts referring to streets which for whatever purpose were eventually given new/separate names. I agree with the individual that it would be another enhancement to return some of the former names back to the street sections which were changed. I would hope, specifically the section of Chapel Street which was changed at some time to Fremont be reversed back to Chapel St. The Fremont school is on Fremont and it is not conducive to any mapping or traffic patterns. One section is North to South(you have to make a right or left turn onto the next section)the other section is East to West.

• Like 1

I am proud to say, I have purchased a home, which I plan to be my primary place of residence in the "Northside" community(originally Spartan Heights prior to the Cleveland family donating the park).

I agree with the individual which stated this "Northside" name conjures thoughts it is on the outskirts of town(Granted the city limit is very very close, it is not out in the suburbs by any means). We have Hampton Heights, Converse Heights, South Converse Heights, Duncan Park. Northside doesn't fit the bill for neighborhood names in comparison with the established original neighborhoods.

I decided to purchase my home in "Spartan Heights" only after reading of the revitalization and realizing some of the provenance of the area associated with the history of Spartanburg. My new/old home is a Craftsman and it fortunately is still intact. I will be restoring it to it's original state. I am researching the family history of the original builders and am in the process of verifying this was part of Lt. Governor of South Carolina Samuel Farrow's family.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Farrow

I read in some earlier posts referring to streets which for whatever purpose were eventually given new/separate names. I agree with the individual that it would be another enhancement to return some of the former names back to the street sections which were changed. I would hope, specifically the section of Chapel Street which was changed at some time to Fremont be reversed back to Chapel St. The Fremont school is on Fremont and it is not conducive to any mapping or traffic patterns. One section is North to South(you have to make a right or left turn onto the next section)the other section is East to West.

Thanks Doc for investing in the Northside neighborhood. It is likely a good time to buy in the Northside with property values surely to rise with all the new homes, Farmers Market etc. coming soon. Home ownership may be the most important factor in turning any neighborhood around. Patience may be needed for change  

to show, but I think you can be one big reason it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mary Black Foundation announced a $1 million lead grant toward the construction of a child development center on the Northside.  It will focus on early childhood education, which is key to kids' academic success.  An anonymous donor has committed an additional $500,000.  Total cost of the facility (and location) has yet to be determined, and the entire process (including construction) could take 3-5 years.  Another positive step for the area.

H-J article

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, I'm glad people are investing in the Spartan Heights neighborhood. I personally think it's a great investment. If I were moving back to Spartanburg I would have to give that area some very serious consideration.

The road naming issue is one that I'm usually interested in. I hate how confusing the road network is in Spartanburg, and the quadrant of the city between roughly Church St/Asheville Hwy around to West Main is some sort of labyrinth from a horror movie. Changing a road name is a low cost way to make it easier to navigate.

Further - if anyone wants to change the name of a local street, get your neighborhood on board and contact your city council representation. They won't just randomly do it for no reason, it requires getting involved and taking action. I guarantee that the City will listen if it's a group of people or a neighborhood organization making the request.