The Maglev Train [Proposed]

Ocityst

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Maglev will NOT be getting built! I am happy. After researching this thing, costing x amount per mile $40 to $100 million, then for a 412 ticket, didn't sound to good.

Here's the link.Maglev Train Proposed for Orlando Gets Financial Backing From Spanish Firm {sodEmoji.|} News from other sources {sodEmoji.|} ENR Southeast {sodEmoji.|} McGraw-Hill Construction

Now it doesnt clearly say that but the general Idea is that it won't happen.

What will our leaders do about this?

We obviously need a connector of some sort so why not light rail?

I do like the Idea of a Light Rail

Particularly like

San Diego Sprinter

NJ Transit Light Rail In Newark

It will help create a stable Public transit network in which we can expand. !

I see Light Rail in our future hopefully. I don't know too much about Monorails, but would it be an alternative to Maglev if they wanted to go with eye candy and speed?

Good find on the article. However, I am not getting how you can say that it will not be built with such conviction. It seems a bit up in the air right now, but certainly not dead.

Same about Orlando World Trade. These guys make announcements but knowing our leaders EVERYTHING has to be perfect for it to go through. He say he has the backing for funding , but in the article, the one company says they have Maglevs in Atlanta and Brasil that have to get approved first, before the Orlando product even gets considered. I know the first guy said up by 2014 but I mean it's a twist. My haunch says it won't get built. UNLESS, there is something behind closed doors you know?

Same about Orlando World Trade. These guys make announcements but knowing our leaders EVERYTHING has to be perfect for it to go through. He say he has the backing for funding , but in the article, the one company says they have Maglevs in Atlanta and Brasil that have to get approved first, before the Orlando product even gets considered. I know the first guy said up by 2014 but I mean it's a twist. My haunch says it won't get built. UNLESS, there is something behind closed doors you know?

I see what you mean. This is a long way off at best considering they have yet to make one of these things materialize.

I see what you mean. This is a long way off at best considering they have yet to make one of these things materialize.

I agree. Which is why we are wasting our time with these nuts. I rather just have the city shoot them down, than have the coutny drag it out like they do everything. They are slow and cheap. My gosh I cant stand jacobs one bit.

It's very exciting to see our rail network begining to weave itself thoughout the region. SunRail and the Maglev OIA connector are a great start to what could be a significant intermodal system in Central Florida. Very proud of Orlando for finally growing up into a pedestrian friendly urban metro! Next up, a few light rail lines.

I am pleased with the enthusiasm behind this MagLev proposal, but would prefer to see the SunRail line linked to the Airport instead, as has been discussed in ways and places. This will eliminate the need to transfer and pay an additional fare that isn't accessible for a daily commuter. This larger fare is also a deterrent to leisure travelers who are watching their budget.

• 2 months later...

Orlando airport requests studies before moving forward with maglev project

If the airport finds out they will lose a good portion of the $78 million a year in rental car business income due this, it probably won't get built. I am sure Mears is probably fighting this as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2012/09/20/orlando-airport-requests-studies.html

Orlando airport requests studies before moving forward with maglev project

If the airport finds out they will lose a good portion of the $78 million a year in rental car business income due this, it probably won't get built. I am sure Mears is probably fighting this as well.

http://www.bizjourna...ts-studies.html

And considering that people who are currently forced to rent cars is likely the main target of the maglev.... doesn't look good for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love how sensational the Sentinel is-- apparently the headline of "Metroplan approves maglev train for South Orange" was too straightforward and boring so they retitled the article "Metroplan approves float-on-air train for South Orange" for their target dumbed-down audience.

I'm picturing the Sentinel editor explaining to the journalist that the word "maglev" sounds too scientific and coming up with the phrase "float-on-air" to replace it. lol

I love how sensational the Sentinel is-- apparently the headline of "Metroplan approves maglev train for South Orange" was too straightforward and boring so they retitled the article "Metroplan approves float-on-air train for South Orange" for their target dumbed-down audience.

I'm picturing the Sentinel editor explaining to the journalist that the word "maglev" sounds too scientific and coming up with the phrase "float-on-air" to replace it. lol

Float-on-air sounds so magical!

But for some clarification, did Metroplan approve the maglev in a "let's get started and build this" way - or approve to continue studies of the maglev? The headline and the article itself seemed at odds with one another.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Update:  The Florida Department of Transportationon Dec. 6 issued a notice that could set the stage for a Georgia firm to finally build the first phase of its planned $800 million magnetic-levitation passenger train in Central Florida.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/12/will-fdot-choo-choo-choose-maglev-for.html

Seems to me that with SunRail, All Aboard Florida and the MagLev trainthere is a lot of redundancy. One only needs to look to the Bay Area to see multiple rail systems with poor connectivity to see what a missed opportunity this could be. I wonder why there isn't more centralized transporation planning coming from Tallahassee or 201 South Rosalind Avenue?

Archived