Roundabouts/Traffic Circles?

richyb83

I read that. Might be successful at O'Neal and I-12, or when they begin construction on the Pecue ramps. Maybe Seigen as well.

Millerville would do well with one, but you'd have to build a tunnel over the interstate to fit the intersection and ramps up above. It would be a big ordeal, but would probably work very well.

I don't think any current overpasses have the necessary space. You need a 20% wider span than normal.....and maybe more at the interchanges with more than 6 freeway lanes.

Siegen would be another ideal location, but there just isn't enough space now. The overpass would have to be reworked.

I'd lobby the state to put one at Pecue. It will cost more than what they are proposing, but traffic will flow so much better.

This also provides more space for buffer zones for landscaping at the edges of right of way at the interchange. I'm all for that.

Edited by cajun

I think roundabouts work....but for on/off ramps, I'd really rather a single point interchange.

The cost of a SPUI is very high due to the length of the bridge required. And signals have a way of being ignored.

A study?? 4 possible roundabouts on Hwy 30 in that short a distance seems to be too much.....I can see 2 of the (west) roundabouts working (Cabela's/Tanger Mall entrance & Lamar-Dixon expo road); but the other 2 roundabouts (on-off ramps) on each side of I-10?? They say 2 stop-lights w/ 2 roundabouts would not work as well....

Roundabout Corridors:

Arizona:

Sedona http://www.scenic179.com/Highways/Projects/SR179/ProjectMap.asp

Route 89A, Clarkdale (5)

Colorado:

Avon http://www.avon.org/index.aspx?nid=133

S Golden Rd in Golden (5)

California, Bird Rock http://www.slideshare.net/thecityalliance/bird-rock-ca-corridor-with-roundabouts

Florida:

Honore Ave, Fruitville to Bee Ridge, Sarasota (3?)

Indiana:

Most City intersections, Carmel

Kansas:

W 95th/Prairie Star Parkway, Lenexa (8)

Minnesota:

Shiloh Road, Billings (8)

Oregon:

SW Reed Market Road, Bend (5)

Sheldon Park/Newport Ave, Bend (5)

Washington:

State Rte 539, Bellingham, WA (4)

Grandview Dr, Olympic to 64th, University Place, WA (6)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the Main & Montrose roundabout as well as Lee Circle and the LSU roundabout.

You have any pictures of the old one at Airline and Florida? I can't fathom one the large, and cannot fathom one on the current setup of Government. Way too much traffic near Foster.

A well designed one can be a great improvement for the intersection. Burbank and Nicholson sounds like a good candidate.

Good call Antrell :good:  Looking at the plans for LSU's proposed Nicholson Gateway project...looks like it includes two roundabouts along Nicholson; one at the Nicholson extension; the other at Burbank.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good question...there was something about it on TV back in March....

Juban Road next in line...would be interesting to see at Hwy 190...not sure how that one would work-out?? Eventually Juban will be extended to Lockhart Rd as part of the eastern Denham Springs by-pass...the two roundabouts south of I-12 should work well in the residential sections. Have heard nothing recently about the plans for HWY190 at Eden Church Road...

DOTD talks Roundabouts...Officials tour plans with public

http://theadvocate.com/home/5855923-125/dotd-talks-roundabouts

• 3 months later...

Also a new gateway sign will go up.....

Roundabout expected to ease gridlock at intersection......LSU roadwork almost complete

One of the most heavily congested entry points to the LSU campus is set to get some relief this week.

Workers are putting the final touches on the construction of what experts call a roundabout, which is a circular intersection that slows but keeps traffic moving in one direction. It will replace stop signs and traffic signals. This one is at the corner of Dalrymple and West Lakeshore, which any area motorist, especially when school is in session, knows is slow-moving at best and sometimes “Gridlock Central.”

“It just didn’t lend itself to traffic flow,” said Jeff Campbell, senior director of administrative services, risk management and parking and transportation services at LSU. “It is dangerous,”

Many of the nearly 30,000 students, faculty and support staff rely on Dalrymple to enter and leave the campus.

West Lakeshore Drive is the home of “Sorority Row,” and serves as a alternate route for motorists headed east who want to avoid often-congested Highland Road. In addition, the LSU Laboratory School sits just southeast of West Lakeshore and Dalrymple, and has its own entry street off Dalrymple — Isaac Cline Drive — that adds to the confusion and backups.

Morning dropoffs and afternoon pickups mean a surge in traffic. Trying to turn left or right onto Dalrymple from West Lakeshore can be an adventure. Classes there start Thursday.

The intersection also is on the route of dozens of runners, walkers and cyclists who use the LSU lakes for daily workouts.

While roundabouts are common elsewhere, they are rare in the Baton Rouge area. Officials said that means it will take a little time for motorists to get used to the makeover, much like the ramp meters along Interstate 12 that initially sparked questions and complaints.

“It is kind of a cultural thing,” said Roger Husser, director of LSU Planning Design & Construction.

Campbell said that traffic headed to Dalrymple from West Lakeshore will enter the circle, go right and then follow the circle until they are headed the direction on Dalrymple they want to go.

One roundabout already operates at North Stadium Road and Fieldhouse Drive near the Journalism Building.

Officials say the new design mean slower speeds, fewer accidents and a smoother line of traffic without the stop-and-go traffic at typical intersections.

“It is going to make a huge improvement with the traffic flow,” Husser said. “It is not a very easy intersection to go through, especially if you are coming from West Lakeshore.”

*rest of article

http://theadvocate.com/news/6667106-123/lsu-roadwork-almost-complete

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

Also a new gateway sign will go up.....

Roundabout expected to ease gridlock at intersection......LSU roadwork almost complete

One of the most heavily congested entry points to the LSU campus is set to get some relief this week.

Workers are putting the final touches on the construction of what experts call a roundabout, which is a circular intersection that slows but keeps traffic moving in one direction. It will replace stop signs and traffic signals. This one is at the corner of Dalrymple and West Lakeshore, which any area motorist, especially when school is in session, knows is slow-moving at best and sometimes “Gridlock Central.”

“It just didn’t lend itself to traffic flow,” said Jeff Campbell, senior director of administrative services, risk management and parking and transportation services at LSU. “It is dangerous,”

Many of the nearly 30,000 students, faculty and support staff rely on Dalrymple to enter and leave the campus.

West Lakeshore Drive is the home of “Sorority Row,” and serves as a alternate route for motorists headed east who want to avoid often-congested Highland Road. In addition, the LSU Laboratory School sits just southeast of West Lakeshore and Dalrymple, and has its own entry street off Dalrymple — Isaac Cline Drive — that adds to the confusion and backups.

Morning dropoffs and afternoon pickups mean a surge in traffic. Trying to turn left or right onto Dalrymple from West Lakeshore can be an adventure. Classes there start Thursday.

The intersection also is on the route of dozens of runners, walkers and cyclists who use the LSU lakes for daily workouts.

While roundabouts are common elsewhere, they are rare in the Baton Rouge area. Officials said that means it will take a little time for motorists to get used to the makeover, much like the ramp meters along Interstate 12 that initially sparked questions and complaints.

“It is kind of a cultural thing,” said Roger Husser, director of LSU Planning Design & Construction.

Campbell said that traffic headed to Dalrymple from West Lakeshore will enter the circle, go right and then follow the circle until they are headed the direction on Dalrymple they want to go.

One roundabout already operates at North Stadium Road and Fieldhouse Drive near the Journalism Building.

Officials say the new design mean slower speeds, fewer accidents and a smoother line of traffic without the stop-and-go traffic at typical intersections.

“It is going to make a huge improvement with the traffic flow,” Husser said. “It is not a very easy intersection to go through, especially if you are coming from West Lakeshore.”

*rest of article

http://theadvocate.com/news/6667106-123/lsu-roadwork-almost-complete

Much needed. Lakeshore drive can severly back up from the delay of people trying to turn left on Dalrymple. This solution makes perfect sense!

Much needed. Lakeshore drive can severly back up from the delay of people trying to turn left on Dalrymple. This solution makes perfect sense!

Definitely. Now if only we could connect Dalrymple with Parker Blvd. and get a roundabout at Parker Blvd. and W Lakesore/S Stadium Drive.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
I've never seen a roundabout as an interstate ramp, however, interesting to see how that would work.
6ara7epa.jpg This type of interchange is being used increasingly in states like Wisconsin. This one is on the Watertown Bypass in Watertown, WI. They are very attractive and don't require the overpass to be rebuilt. They can be retrofitted.

Hey ehyfield! Welcome to the BR Forum :thumbsup:  Thanks for the aerial! It's hard to visualize roundabouts at the interchanges... this is exactly what they are talking about doing at I-12 in Walker because the overpass might not be widened bec lack of $fund$? The 1st option has too many roundabouts...the 2nd option sounds more reasonable along Walker South Rd(Hwy 447); which can be dangerous with it's 5-lane stretch between I-12 & Hwy 190/Florida Blvd. Still it seems roundabouts would work best in select intersections/locations.

Roundabout proposals receive mixed reviews in Walker La.... Hwy 447 area targeted

MAP w Option #1 shown...

http://theadvocate.com/home/7829468-125/roundabout-headline-p

Edited by richyb83

Thank You Rickyb83. Wow! That's a lot of circles in such a short space. I'd need some practice getting through that obstacle course. Haha! I know it sort of defeats the purpose of a roundabout to have a stop light next to it. It depends on how far apart the intersections are.

Edited by ehyfield

• 7 months later...

Kinda sad they are going to tar down the old Eden Baptist Church that opened waay back in 1873...that future Round-about in eastern Denham Springs is going to encompass a large area! With 23,600 cars traveling along Hwy 190 daily one would think they finally would 4-lane it out to Juban Road or even Walker?

141-year-old church to be demolished for traffic roundabout

*with video*

http://www.wafb.com/story/26264048/141-year-old-church-to-be-demolished-for-traffic-roundabout

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

A new "temporary" traffic signal has been installed at the intersection of S. Stadium Drive and E. Parker Blvd. while the feasibility of a roundabout is explored. 

This has been needed for a long time. Hopefully the results of the study lead to construction of a roundabout in this location. 

http://theadvocate.com/home/10058246-125/video-new-traffic-signal-installed

Edited by garrett_225

Yes indeed! Thanks for posting this Garrett225! :thumbsup:  Nice location for a roundabout! And I need to get a pic of the new roundabout on Dalrymple!

And in Business Report a few days ago...they mentioned a possible new roundabout for the afflicted intersection of Lobdell @ Government St./ Independence Blvd....it's like somebody reads our ideas here on UP! I mentioned it(post #10) over two years ago & Antrell more recently! ;)

Yes indeed! Thanks for posting this Garrett225! :thumbsup:  Nice location for a roundabout! And I need to get a pic of the new roundabout on Dalrymple!That

And in Business Report a few days ago...they mentioned a possible new roundabout for the afflicted intersection of Lobdell @ Government St./ Independence Blvd....it's like somebody reads our ideas here on UP! I mentioned it(post #10) over two years ago & Antrell more recently! ;)

That would be a good location for a landscaped and furnished centerpiece similar to the Main/Montrose roundabout next to Herman Park in Houston.

• 1 year later...

Also wanted to post this in the Roundabout thread...  since this story was posted nearly two years ago in December...nothing has changed...still skeptical; simply too many roundabouts in the short a stretch on Walker South...interesting comments below

http://theadvocate.com/news/13507447-63/some-skeptical-in-walker-over

6ara7epa.jpg

This type of interchange is being used increasingly in states like Wisconsin. This one is on the Watertown Bypass in Watertown, WI. They are very attractive and don't require the overpass to be rebuilt. They can be retrofitted.

I know this is an old post...but I wanted to weigh in.  

With enough space for a wide radius circle, this could actually work in the states.   Notice that the center line of the roads don't match with the center of the circles.  They are offset slightly to make it easier for big vehicles to make those hard lefts.  I imagine that they'd need a generous right of way to fit the circle.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

The intersection of Pecue Lane at Highland Road is being considered for a new roundabout...but a traffic signal is another option....

In western Livingston Parish.... Work has started on a roundabout at the I-12 east-bound off ramp at Walker South Rd...wonder how this will work out?  & also Hwy 190/Florida Ave at Eden Church Rd next to the library....that stretch of highway should be widened btwn Denham Springs & Walker

The new roundabout on the Stumberg-Pecue connector at the Woman's Hospital seems like a success...as do the ones up in growing city of Central

Wonder how the new roundabout at LSU is working out on Dalrymple at West Lakeshore??

They still should consider a roundabout at the afflicted Government St/Lobdell/Independence Blvd intersection

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Cool new  Roundabout entrance to the LSU campus on Dalrymple @ West Lakeshore

Hope to get more new Roundabout pics in the area soon....think they are cool alternative to the plethora stop-n-go intersections around BR; still think Lafayette/Youngsville will remain "Louisiana's Roundabout Capital"

DSCN1467_zpsmojggvdg.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Tesla S that I want has an autopilot feature that looks really promising.   The biggest complaint about the feature is that it can't recognize traffic circles. 

That and the feature has caused several fatal accidents.