Roundabouts/Traffic Circles?

richyb83

18 hours ago, cajun said:

The Tesla S that I want has an autopilot feature that looks really promising.   The biggest complaint about the feature is that it can't recognize traffic circles. 

That and the feature has caused several fatal accidents.

Is that something's that's available now? I don't trust self driving cars after watching Extent where they assassinated someone by parking the car in some train tracks, but I'll admit it would be nice to have so the car could park itself and pick you up from the curb.

2 hours ago, dan326 said:

Is that something's that's available now? I don't trust self driving cars after watching Extent where they assassinated someone by parking the car in some train tracks, but I'll admit it would be nice to have so the car could park itself and pick you up from the curb.

You can get a Ford Focus to park itself.    I think most BMWs, Cadillacs, etc. do that.   The Tesla S can do that.  

1 hour ago, dan326 said:

Well, I mean like for it to drop you off and then go find a space itself to go park.

I'm not sure about that.   Might be able to pull up to a space and have it park itself while you wonder off though.  

• 8 months later...

Confusing? Interesting? Roundabout on Walker South at I-12 getting mixed reviews...some say it's worse; some say it flows better; some wait-n-see

Roundabout for Westbound off ramp (to the North) is under construction;   Eden Church Rd at Florida(Hwy 190) is complete

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/communities/livingston_tangipahoa/article_6d52d828-d611-11e7-9582-8f8dcc4fe95f.html

not sure what's up with Off Ramp (left) headed South

image.thumb.png.6e829da9ea70dec77d6e3242c2383547.png

On 12/5/2017 at 6:48 PM, Antrell Williams said:

The ones here in Hammond cause accidents with the big rigs and still backs up during rush hour. Its better during non-pek hours though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They force the big rigs that turn left into the Pilot to go around Club Deluxe Road circle.  

That's a huge benefit all on its own since they can't block the whole street like they used to.

It's as if they Read us here on UP.....they actually saw my suggestion from a year or two ago and will act upon it! :thumbsup:

The afflicted intersection that is Lobdell/IndependenceBlvd/Government St. will get a Round-about...part of the Government Street Road-diet

image.thumb.png.98b322200c9404e59ee25e60911f4c4c.png

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

We should at least get a commission check. Hopefully they finish it off with a beautiful garden or fountain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah you right Antrell :thumbsup:  Some extra cash would be nice!   Good idea they should landscape it...i'll try to put in  request to add the Fountain ;)

True Dan...wonder how confident the locals will be using new Roundabout??

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 2:49 PM, richyb83 said:

It's as if they Read us here on UP.....they actually saw my suggestion from a year or two ago and will act upon it! :thumbsup:

The afflicted intersection that is Lobdell/IndependenceBlvd/Government St. will get a Round-about...part of the Government Street Road-diet

image.thumb.png.98b322200c9404e59ee25e60911f4c4c.png

Good suggestion.    This should flow better and look better.    The weird geometry of the intersection makes it ideal for a roundabout.

Where are they putting the old fire station?   

1 hour ago, cajun said:

Good suggestion.    This should flow better and look better.    The weird geometry of the intersection makes it ideal for a roundabout.

Where are they putting the old fire station?   

I think they already moved. I guess this fire station will be razed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for moving it Ehyfield...Really like this thread :thumbsup:

In your rendering.. the  Off Ramp  looks like it's part of the Roundabout   &  would the westbound cars on Terrace going northbound onto Nicholson be too close for comfort w the cars coming from  Off Ramp ?  Not sure how it would all merge; im no expert.  Maybe it could work!   Like the creative thinking:thumbsup:

image.png.618515dacad6ed250ef7ce8a44c8c4a0.png

Edited by richyb83

On 4/11/2018 at 9:52 PM, richyb83 said:

Thanks for moving it Ehyfield...Really like this thread :thumbsup:

In your rendering.. the  Off Ramp  looks like it's part of the Roundabout   &  would the westbound cars on Terrace going northbound onto Nicholson be too close for comfort w the cars coming from  Off Ramp ?  Not sure how it would all merge; im no expert.  Maybe it could work!   Like the creative thinking

image.png.618515dacad6ed250ef7ce8a44c8c4a0.png

This roundabout makes sense. Would be really great placed here.

In my idea, there would be no U-turn lane to go downtown. Everything would circulate through the circle. I was even concerned with larger commercial vehicles coming off of the interstate and turning south on Nicholson, but the outside lane of the roundabout would be as far out as that U-turn lane, like in the picture. That is plenty of room for 18-wheelers to make it through safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Thanks again for the post Ehyfield :thumbsup:    Looks like the Mississippi River Bridge exit at Nicholson could be revamped...wasn't going to post because it's just a "study"; interesting nonetheless . Guess i need to post that in Area Bridge thread....

Here are a couple more fairly new Roundabouts just East of the Capitol

DSCN1549.JPG

Edited by richyb83

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure Where the Rumor started? But no Roundabout for the Perkins-Picardy Connector...but at least we find out they are finally supposed to start on the New Road sometime this year!   Bluebonnet Blvd needs some relief btwn Mall of La & Perkins Rowe!

Can we get an updated status on the Picardy-Perkins Connector. Rumors are it will involve a roundabout instead of red light. Who can we call for specific information? My business will be greatly affected by this and would like some kind of timeline verification. The website is not updated.

Fred Raiford, city-parish director of transportation and drainage, tells us: "The Picardy-Perkins Connector project is still moving forward. Not sure where the rumors of a roundabout are coming from but that is not the case. The intersection where Picardy ties into Perkins Road will be a signalized intersection. The signal that is currently located between Bluebonnet Boulevard and the proposed new intersection will be removed to this new intersection. We do not have any roundabouts plan on this project.

"Not sure why the website is not up but I'll check on it. I do know that this project and any others that were included in the Green Light Program have been included in the MovEBR program recently approved by the voters of this parish. We would hope this project will be out under construction sometimes this year."

By the way, you can check out the website at movebr.net.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_648c6774-2fd7-11e9-a046-23de81f753ce.html

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1