Roundabouts/Traffic Circles?

richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

Good question Dan..   It's like they listened to my recommendation adding Roundabout   for the afflicted Lobdell/Government/Independence Blvd intersection

Here it is "Under Construction"....almost like a cool/gateway entrance into the eastern residential section of Mid City..and the new brick wall at the new Adele neighborhood

IMG_0933.thumb.jpg.ba71df3aaf0187d860436985a4167650.jpg

IMG_0935.thumb.jpg.e03d815926057110c72a327c82460642.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Old Hammond Hwy Will Finally be Widened from Blvd. DeProvence East to Millerville Road....need to go all the way to Florida Blvd/Hwy 190

A Roundabout is planned at the So.Flannery Rd intersection; (was not expecting that)  & Blvd. DeProvince possibly too??  

This project will take extra time widening bridges(new?) @ Jones Creek & Lively Bayou

https://movebr.brla.gov/communication/view-in-browser?trk=view-in-browser:32621:815:205:58149C9099B978418E685BF5E9431B84

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 1:35 PM, richyb83 said:

Old Hammond Hwy Will Finally be Widened from Blvd. DeProvence East to Millerville Road....need to go all the way to Florida Blvd/Hwy 190

A Roundabout is planned at the So.Flannery Rd intersection; (was not expecting that)  & Blvd. DeProvince possibly too??  

This project will take extra time widening bridges(new?) @ Jones Creek & Lively Bayou

https://movebr.brla.gov/communication/view-in-browser?trk=view-in-browser:32621:815:205:58149C9099B978418E685BF5E9431B84

Wow. 

I thought you were mistaken, but you aren't.  They are going to try to fit a roundabout there without taking any surrounding structure:

image.thumb.png.8c4a672ee8875c0ff08ad8ce77446e31.png

There will be a learning curve, but this will flow a lot better than the existing setup.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, richyb83 said:

Good question Dan..   It's like they listened to my recommendation adding Roundabout   for the afflicted Lobdell/Government/Independence Blvd intersection

Here it is "Under Construction"....almost like a cool/gateway entrance into the eastern residential section of Mid City..and the new brick wall at the new Adele neighborhood

IMG_0933.thumb.jpg.ba71df3aaf0187d860436985a4167650.jpg

IMG_0935.thumb.jpg.e03d815926057110c72a327c82460642.jpg

I wish that intersection was a round a bout years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2020 at 1:35 PM, richyb83 said:

Unpopular opinion:  I would only widen Old Hammond to 3 lanes (2 way with a center turn lane, sidewalks, and lighting) between O'Neal and Florida.   I see this as  a way of funneling more traffic on US-190 and throttling the commuter traffic entering Old Hammond from Denham Springs.    I have the same opinion of the new bridge over the Comite at Hooper Road, but I'm abandoning that one since they are getting funding to widen Hooper to 4 lanes all the way to Greenwell Springs.

And I would also go with an asphalt-surface 4 lane boulevard between Blvd de Province and O'Neal over a concrete 5 lane road, as more of the roadside development is residential in nature and generates less traffic.   Boulevards are safer and the tree lined medians absorb some of the road noise.  

8 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Maybe our recommendations are read here on UP.....This was the prefect afflicted intersection for a Roundabout! Government/Independence/Lobdell

New wall to the right is part of the new upscale residential development  Adelia at Old Goodwood

IMG_1448.thumb.jpg.a359c8e8e403b47a75691776060007b1.jpg

IMG_1449.thumb.jpg.adf57faf92cbbd509a9e018031daa174.jpg

WOW.  That came out well!  I certainly appreciate your photos RB83!    I honestly can't wait until all of this shows up on the latest satellite photos of the area.

Are those tire skid marks on the new pavement already?   I guess there is a learning curve.   I don't think our highly intellectual friends over in Walker have figured out those roundabouts at their I-12 interchange yet.  It honestly concerns me how little attention people are paying to the road in front of them.   

Edited by cajun

Agreed Cajun.....4 lane w medians would work well on Old Hammond  btwn Blvd de Provence & O'Neal; would be curious to see how they would do the two bridges at Jones Creek & Lively Bayou?

Assuming you meant new bridge over the Amite for Hooper Road...as much as i;m sure it's needed headed toward growing Watson; often wondered if a new bridge over the Amite for a widened Harrel's Ferry Road into Denham Springs  south would be more beneficial. Another alternate route to I-12 & Hwy 190.  But no such plans exist.

Your welcome. Me too....enjoy updated satellite aerials very much!  Wish Google 3D would update in BR too....

Here's another Roundabout ....

This one in the growing community of Central on the jagged Lovett Road at Magnolia Square...a mini urban village in the middle of rural suburbia; nice location for a Roundabout coming of a 90 degree curve

IMG_1456.thumb.jpg.8089f5b92829f16c89647f9c3b38e4b5.jpg

Maybe our recommendations are read here on UP.....This was the prefect afflicted intersection for a Roundabout! Government/Independence/Lobdell
New wall to the right is part of the new upscale residential development  Adelia at Old Goodwood
IMG_1448.thumb.jpg.a359c8e8e403b47a75691776060007b1.jpg
IMG_1449.thumb.jpg.adf57faf92cbbd509a9e018031daa174.jpg
I love this roundabout, been asking for it for years. But I really wish zoning would not allow for that type of development to be designed that way. (Wall facing the street) It would look much better with homes fronting the street. Now that stretch is permanently empty.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Roundabouts are appearing all over state but do drivers like them? DOTD says signs point to yes

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_11c1395a-36a1-11ed-8142-f344b7e32797.html

Since DOTD opened the first modern roundabout at La. 93 and Ridge Road in Lafayette in September 2003, some 174 more have been built and opened in Louisiana, highway officials said.

Roundabouts have popped up in Abita Springs, Baton Rouge, Hammond, Homer, Leesville, Monroe, New Orleans, Port Vincent, Rayville, Slidell, Walker and Youngsville

The tally includes any DOTD or local government roundabout that at least partially used federal dollars, Hoyt said, but does not include roundabouts that were entirely funded with local dollars or with private money, such as those inside new neighborhoods and commercial centers.

Through state or local initiatives, Ascension, Livingston and East Baton Rouge parishes are planning more. After over a decade of trying, Ascension Parish government earlier this year finished its first roundabout near Prairieville Middle School at La. 930 and Henry Road.

The MoveBR road program in Baton Rouge also has at least four roundabouts in the early plans, including one at the chronically congested Old Hammond Highway and South Flannery Road intersection. 

BR.asenroundabout.080420. 0108 bf.jpg

BR.rounabout.jpg

• 5 months later...

I sure like em!   Some just need to learn how to use them better.    

They should be fine for the 18 wheelers and work a whole lot better that all those closely spaced traffic signals.

Series of roundabouts in Gonzales could cost $29M

https://www.wbrz.com/news/series-of-roundabouts-in-gonzales-could-cost-29m

tanger_roundabout_trio.jpeg

A separate bid of $1.9 million was turned in to build a roundabout at the intersection of Roddy Road and Churchpoint, east of Gonzales.

That project was also introduced in 2021.

roddy_road_at_churchpoint_roundabout.jpg

13 hours ago, richyb83 said:

I sure like em!   Some just need to learn how to use them better.    

They should be fine for the 18 wheelers and work a whole lot better that all those closely spaced traffic signals.

Series of roundabouts in Gonzales could cost $29M

https://www.wbrz.com/news/series-of-roundabouts-in-gonzales-could-cost-29m

tanger_roundabout_trio.jpeg

A separate bid of $1.9 million was turned in to build a roundabout at the intersection of Roddy Road and Churchpoint, east of Gonzales.

That project was also introduced in 2021.

roddy_road_at_churchpoint_roundabout.jpg

I agree, they seemed to have helped Florida Blvd in Denham Springs.

Yes indeed Dan326  they sure have!  Walker at I-12 too... also like the one at Lobdell/Government St/Independence Blvd in middle of BR....

Tanger Mall does not want the Roundabouts....understandable bec leaving the Mall trying to go to I-10 they wouldn't be able to make a Left turn ; instead only a Right turn would have to make a right turn to the Roundabout

....A New Route connecting Hwy 30 and new  Interchange  I-10 at Cornerview would be a big help alleviating some of the Industrial traffic

Roundabouts near Tanger Outlets mall are moving forward, but the mall is still fighting them

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/la-30i-10-fix-in-gonzales-heads-to-construction-amid-fight/article

Ouuch i'm so groggy from this Clock change...it got way too late too fast last night lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2023 at 11:19 PM, richyb83 said:

Yes indeed Dan326  they sure have!  Walker at I-12 too... also like the one at Lobdell/Government St/Independence Blvd in middle of BR....

Tanger Mall does not want the Roundabouts....understandable bec leaving the Mall trying to go to I-10 they wouldn't be able to make a Left turn ; instead only a Right turn would have to make a right turn to the Roundabout

....A New Route connecting Hwy 30 and new  Interchange  I-10 at Cornerview would be a big help alleviating some of the Industrial traffic

Roundabouts near Tanger Outlets mall are moving forward, but the mall is still fighting them

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/la-30i-10-fix-in-gonzales-heads-to-construction-amid-fight/article

Ouuch i'm so groggy from this Clock change...it got way too late too fast last night lol

Looking at the map....I fully understand why they'd be upset with the setup. 

I honestly don't think this is the best setup for a roundabout, knowing how much tractor trailer traffic that area gets.

• 10 months later...