Sports in Charlotte

I don'tknow if this is already a topic buried somewhere in the forum, so I decided to start one.

The Charlotte sports scene looks to be on the upswing depsite a blowout season for the Bobcats, a burnout season for the Checkers and a lackluster season for the Panthers. DUring the past week, the following events have taken place:

-The Panthers have drafted a potential gold mine of a linebacker. Add to that, Beason and Davis should be back, and Carolina should be able to keep other teams at bay. Defense was probably the biggest factor in the Panthers' season being what it was. In fact, the Panthers lost 6 games by only one touchdown or less. Now since they will have shored up the middle and will hopefully continue to bolster defense maybe they can turn a 6-10 season into a 12-4 season. Carolina is pretty well set on offense with our selection of backs, Cam Newton, and Steve Smith.

-The Bobcats have hit bottom, and there is only one way to go...up. They are guaranteed a draft pick no lower than 4th. Hopefully they will end up with the number one draft pick. The bigger news with the Bobcats though is that its beginning to look more and more like they will become the Hornets again. Obviously a name change does not necessarily change the product on the court instantaneously, however the brand recognition and subsequent ticket/merchandise sales (even if it is merely for fashion purposes) puts money in the organization which should over time lead to being able to attract more high quality players. Plus we get the added bonus of being able to refer to TWC as "The Hive".

-The Checkers were pretty good at the beginning of the season but just fell apart later. They were a semifinalist for the Calder Cup the previous season. I expect them to be a force in the AHL once again next season.

-UNCC may be moving to FBS football well ahead of schedule. WIth so much realignment in conferences this past year leaving some conferences suffering, UNCC may be a top contender to move into an FBS conference by 2015. The two conferences most likely to invite them are the Sunbelt Conference and CUSA. CUSA would be the better choice in my opinion as it would allow them to reignite some old rivalries including in-state rival ECU.

http://gmine.blogspo...e-soon-for.html

Edited by cltbwimob

I'll add to that^

Tonight is the season opener for our new MLL team the Charlotte Hounds at Memorial Stadium. Tickets start at $10, they've got a Bud Light Zone, ect. Anyways, game starts at 7pm. Maybe they will be awesome. Who knows? Either way, its a great value and I'll let you know how the crowd is for the game. I'd like to see this team do well and become a permanent main-stay in Memorial. If that place can generate some consistent revenue, maybe we can finally upgrade that thing into a multi-purpose Lacrosse/Soccer/Football field. Obviously this would be 5 years away. But regardless, go Hounds.

Let's also add the Copperheads (North American Lacrosse League) Carolina Speed (American Indoor Football Association) , Charlotte Speed Demons (Women's Roller Derby - aiming for inclusion of sport in the Olympics), and Charlotte Roller Girls (Women's Flat Track roller derby)

And while there are tons of intramural leagues and small sports leagues teams in Charlotte I want to give a shout out to the Charlotte Royals Rugby Club (gay rugby team part of the North Carolina Rugby Union (NCRU) and the International Gay Rugby Association and Board) who just happened to be invited this year to compete in the Bingham cup in Manchester England this year!)

Almost 7,000 people at the Hounds game lastnight. It was a great crowd and a lot of fun. They lost too so they will fit right in with every other team in the city!

Jokes aside it was $10 for a ticket and $4 for 16oz beers. Affordable sporting events do well in Uptown and attract families...what a novel concept. Next game is in 2 weeks.

Almost 7,000 people at the Hounds game lastnight. It was a great crowd and a lot of fun. They lost too so they will fit right in with every other team in the city!

Jokes aside it was $10 for a ticket and $4 for 16oz beers. Affordable sporting events do well in Uptown and attract families...what a novel concept. Next game is in 2 weeks.

I plan on going to the game on May 12 for my birthday...looking forward to another sports experience in Charlotte. Any tips on where to sit, parking, etc?

Can't help you with parking because I walked. Sitting is easy because it's all GA and they slap you on one side and the leave the other empty. Bring cash though, that's my only recommendation. They use a stupid token system for food and beer (I hope they change it) so you need cash to get anything.

Can't help you with parking because I walked. Sitting is easy because it's all GA and they slap you on one side and the leave the other empty. Bring cash though, that's my only recommendation. They use a stupid token system for food and beer (I hope they change it) so you need cash to get anything.

That does sound pretty silly, thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely keep that in mind.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this belongs here but there was a small blurb in the print edition of the CBJ that Ike Belk (whose grandfather was a member of the USOC) will launch The United States Performance Center in South Charlotte. It is sort of being described as a souped up YMCA with Olympic training facilities including a 40 yeard dash field, sports physical therapy and psychology (not sure what that means) services,.

It will be in a 9,000 square foot building in Touchstone Village with a budget of $550,000 for renovations and additional $600,000 for equipment.

Apparently Novant and Presbyterian have offered commitments for the physical therapy components and Coke and Under Armor are possibly signing on as sponsors.

It is scheduled to open this fall.

Edited by Urbanity

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to mention that the Hounds finished up their season on Saturday night to a crowd of just over 6,000 (the fiance and I being two of that number). For the season, the Hounds averaged 5,700 over 7 games, which was good for 4th overall in the league. I'd say it was a very successful inaugural season for the team (the Ohio franchise, which also entered the league this year with Charlotte, averaged just 3,500).

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/attendance.html?leagueid=323&seasonid=8519

Wake me up once the Knights are downtown ;)

\

I really really hope Charlotte holds out for an MLB team. Remember ten years ago when either the Twins or Brewers were threatening to move to Charlotte and everyone said we were ten years away from being able to support a team? Well, here we are. If they do build the Knights stadium I hope they at least make it to where they can expand it for an MLB team.

\

I really really hope Charlotte holds out for an MLB team. Remember ten years ago when either the Twins or Brewers were threatening to move to Charlotte and everyone said we were ten years away from being able to support a team? Well, here we are. If they do build the Knights stadium I hope they at least make it to where they can expand it for an MLB team.

....sigh....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Remember when the Florida (now Miami) Marlins had Charlotte, along with at least a half dozen other cities, on the radar for a relocation several years back? Well, lets just say we dodged a bullet. The city of Miami gave in and mostly funded a ~$550M stadium for the MLB team that opened last season. Prior to the stadium opening, the owner Jeffrey Loria, went out and uncharacteristically (at least by his own standards) spent millions to bring in high profile players and a manager that seemingly made the team poised to be a post season contender for much of the next decade. Well, yesterday he unloaded almost all of that $190M in contracts that he gave out to Toronto for rotational players and minor league draft prospects. After one year, yes ONE year. So, needless to say their fans are quite PO'd as they should be. It's the 3rd time this organization has done a salary dump like this ... they did it after their 1997 and 2003 World Series championships. Feel bad for the fans, and now the city who was duped into building him a half billion dollar palace that will likely sit mostly empty for the forseeable future.

http://espn.go.com/m...season-2013-mlb

Edited by wend28

Remember when the Florida (now Miami) Marlins had Charlotte, along with at least a half dozen other cities, on the radar for a relocation several years back? Well, lets just say we dodged a bullet. The city of Miami gave in and mostly funded a ~$550M stadium for the MLB team that opened last season. Prior to the stadium opening, the owner Jeffrey Loria, went out and uncharacteristically (at least by his own standards) spent millions to bring in high profile players and a manager that seemingly made the team poised to be a post season contender for much of the next decade. Well, yesterday he unloaded almost all of that $190M in contracts that he gave out to Toronto for rotational players and minor league draft prospects. After one year, yes ONE year. So, needless to say their fans are quite PO'd as they should be. It's the 3rd time this organization has done a salary dump like this ... they did it after their 1997 and 2003 World Series championships. Feel bad for the fans, and now the city who was duped into building him a half billion dollar palace that will likely sit mostly empty for the forseeable future.

http://espn.go.com/m...season-2013-mlb

As a Blue Jays fan since birth, I approve of this trade.