Sports in Charlotte

^Interesting because they are putting all their cards in one year. Where as Santa Clara and Houston, for example, bid for all 3 years. I will be curious to see if Charlotte had any sort of developments (e.g. convention size hotel) tied to their bid and that's why they didn't do 2018 like it was originally discussed.. 

I just don't get the feeling that Charlotte is enough of a destination for this.  I'd love to see us get it and I know this city has an unreal ability to land events that usually surprises me, but I just don't see a lot of people jumping out of their seats at the chance to come see the big game in Charlotte.  I hope we get it though!

I just don't get the feeling that Charlotte is enough of a destination for this.  I'd love to see us get it and I know this city has an unreal ability to land events that usually surprises me, but I just don't see a lot of people jumping out of their seats at the chance to come see the big game in Charlotte.  I hope we get it though!

Yea, I think we're a dark horse for sure. But, given our history, I wouldn't be surprised if we got it... I think 2020 is our best bet. Atlanta and Santa Clara should be slam dunks IMO. 

Come 2019 Charlotte is going to be a very different place, that we will hardly recognize.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte Independece are taking a social media beating right now. Looks like Ramblewood still isn't done and they'll play yet another game at Winthrop. I'm relieved I didn't end up buying season tix for this season, definitely feel for those that did. Hopefully they can get all these kinks worked out before next season. Yikes.

Pretty good piece on Charlotte's soccer focus going forward:  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2015/06/corporate-charlotte-likes-major-league-soccer.html

Focuses not only on our international matches and the Independence, but also sounds like we are getting "closer" to a true Memorial Stadium Reno in partnership with the CRVA and local businesses.  Which I really like the idea of.  Can Charlotte work to become a the "soccer mecca" of the US?

• Like 1

Charlotte Independence against the New England Revolution will be streamed Wednesday at 7:30 on this YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/ussoccer

The team's official watch party will be at OMB, I know some people will be going up to Hooligans too.

First game is at Ramblewood this weekend, hopefully STH's who haven't been yet will come out to the match.  Tailgating is going to start around 4, I hope to see some new faces!

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

First game is at Ramblewood this weekend, hopefully STH's who haven't been yet will come out to the match.  Tailgating is going to start around 4, I hope to see some new faces!

What is STH?

From the Independence site Jun 19 at 10:29am:

"Individual tickets for our June 20 game versus the Charleston Battery will go on sale later this week. The stadium underwent some design changes in order to meet ADA requirements, so we had to re-draw our seating map and are waiting for the final version to be delivered."

Kidding me?  They're making it difficult to get me and my kids into this.

What is STH?

From the Independence site Jun 19 at 10:29am:

"Individual tickets for our June 20 game versus the Charleston Battery will go on sale later this week. The stadium underwent some design changes in order to meet ADA requirements, so we had to re-draw our seating map and are waiting for the final version to be delivered."

Kidding me?  They're making it difficult to get me and my kids into this.

STH = Season Ticket Holder

I've talked to a few at other events who haven't bothered to come to games at UNCC or Winthrop.  At one point in our 4,700 seat stadium about 2,500 of those spots showing on Ticketmaster were grayed out assuming sold.  We struggle to get that many to games so far so I know there's a bunch that either cancelled or haven't been showing.

Yeah, only a portion of the stadium will be open this week.  Embarrassing, not sure where fault lies anymore.  Obvious the team hasn't been controlling the message and allowing everything to go to the 11th hour.  But in the article that included quotes from Nussli (stadium builder) they guaranteed completion by the 13th and 20th so it's starting to look like this is just a snowball of a bad situation.  The team for controlling the message and being transparent, the county with some of the run around with permitting (not ADA related) and then Nussli for not keeping their commitments.

At this point I'm beyond getting upset because there are good friendships that have been made with others in the supporter group and the fun we have during the game.  For a casual fan I completely understand your stance.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

I can tell you plainly that I haven't been to a game yet.  I want to support the team, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to pay someone for a product they are delivering.  I plan to attend every game at Ramblewood and hopefully one day, Memorial.  But damn, at the end of the day this is an entertainment product like any other.  Better make it a good one.

I can tell you plainly that I haven't been to a game yet.  I want to support the team, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to pay someone for a product they are delivering.  I plan to attend every game at Ramblewood and hopefully one day, Memorial.  But damn, at the end of the day this is an entertainment product like any other.  Better make it a good one.

The product (actual gameplay) has been quite competitive.  The venue has been the crappy part.  No different than the Knights when they were in Fort Mill, they could have led AAA and won a championship but attendance was hurt by the venue.  I get it, just want to see soccer succeed and want to get past all the stadium BS so I am more vocal about it haha.

The product (actual gameplay) has been quite competitive.  The venue has been the crappy part.  No different than the Knights when they were in Fort Mill, they could have led AAA and won a championship but attendance was hurt by the venue.  I get it, just want to see soccer succeed and want to get past all the stadium BS so I am more vocal about it haha.

Totally with you.  I'll be at Ramblewood this weekend in my damn lawn chair.

Single-game tickets on sale now.  $15.  "Please be advised this will be a general admission event due to stadium construction and seating is limited."

So are you serious about the lawn chair?  Does anybody really know if there are seats?  Should I just hold off until it settles down a bit more?  Or until y'all report back on what's up?

Single-game tickets on sale now.  $15.  "Please be advised this will be a general admission event due to stadium construction and seating is limited."

So are you serious about the lawn chair?  Does anybody really know if there are seats?  Should I just hold off until it settles down a bit more?  Or until y'all report back on what's up?

I could explain but someone flew a drone out there yesterday and snapped a picture.

CHzgTPHW8AADgQ0.jpg

The side at the top of the picture will be open, equates to just under 1,600 seats.  The fact that this is essentially an erector set for a globally known company and they put the north stands up in 3 days makes me wonder why the construction group hasn't been able to keep up that same speed at building this thing out.

Also we just found the county told the team today there will be no tailgating on park property.  The team is trying to sign a deal with an office complex that you can walk from to get to the field so that we can tailgate but that likely won't be done by tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/American+Red+Cross/@35.1290081,-80.9030823,1029m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!1m2!2m1!1samerican+red+cross+charlotte+nc!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x415f7242bc62bede!6m1!1e1

But that last minute notice is the type of crap I've been saying they are dealing with. 

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

That field looks like crap. They're going to play on a surface in such poor shape? Unreal.

It was worse.  When they finally got approval to work they killed the existing pitch and planted Bermuda.  Up close it actually doesn't look too bad so I was surprised to see that too.  Where I think you're referring to is the brown spots which is likely  residual sand from the process of killing off and replanting the new surface.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

They had NoDa and Birdsong cans at the game.  With tip for 2 beers it was around $9 so they're basically selling each slightly above what you'd pay at Good Bottle.

It was a great game and better showing by all fans from Charleston/Charlotte honoring those that were killed during the week with a moment of silence in the 9th minute as well as banners showing our support.  USL did a good job aggregating some of the social media around it.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32800&ATCLID=210162187

On the tailgating end there was talk that ABC was on site to see how the team was controlling sales/consumption with the stadium permit.  Supposedly they are working on getting one for the whole park.

I still think the tailgating and parking issue would be resolved if they came to terms with the office park that bumps up to Ramblewood.  But they can't force those guys to agree to letting us use the lot.  Or when the team is already going to operate at $1M loss this year they likely can't pay more than what they were likely offering to get those guys on board.

The team is trying to sign a deal with an office complex that you can walk from to get to the field so that we can tailgate but that likely won't be done by tomorrow.

I'm sure you mean this one. I will be shocked if they sign a deal to allow non-tenants to use the parking lot for drinking beer. That's a pipe dream...

I'm sure you mean this one. I will be shocked if they sign a deal to allow non-tenants to use the parking lot for drinking beer. That's a pipe dream...

Yes that one.  They have to get all tenants to sign in order to allow this.  Charleston is not much different (albeit much more parking than that one building would need) but you enter an office park from the highway and work your way back to the stadium.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Blackbaud+Stadium/@32.8695672,-79.9183406,552m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88fe655f7a505403:0xd504c0d557936816!6m1!1e1

• 2 weeks later...