Sports in Charlotte

6 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/atlanta-city-council-bring-2017-nba-all-star-game-/nqt3Y/

Atlanta City Council is trying to lobby the NBA to move the All Stars Game from CLT to Atlanta, because of House Bill 2!

And the NBA responded that they are hopeful Charlotte & North Carolina can work out a solution 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stepping off my Debbie Downer soap box for the stadium experience..  The Independence are ranked #2 in the latest USL power rankings (1st in the East) for the 29 team league.  They have a good chance to extend their 3 game win streak with last place FC Montreal coming to town Saturday.  They're playing great and worth checking out through their live streams via YouTube even if you aren't coming out to the matches.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/644068?referrer_id=2333971

• 1 month later...

Independence playing Swansea City from the BPL on July 13th.  Pretty cool for the team to land this type of friendly.  Other lower division American clubs are attracting mid-table Premier league sides as well (Richmond v Swansea, Carolina Railhawks v West Ham, FC Cincy v Crystal Palace).  Glad to see we're following suit.  Hope we have a strong turnout!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/other-sports/article82078497.html

• Like 2

I recall hearing rumors of the Carolina Hurricanes leaving Raleigh for possibly Las Vegas. Well, since Vegas is now getting its own expansion team, I now wonder what markets would be best suited for a possible relocation. Would Charlotte be a good fit? Are the venues in Charlotte big enough to support an NHL team? Can we support a third professional sports team?

4 hours ago, Third Strike said:

I recall hearing rumors of the Carolina Hurricanes leaving Raleigh for possibly Las Vegas. Well, since Vegas is now getting its own expansion team, I now wonder what markets would be best suited for a possible relocation. Would Charlotte be a good fit? Are the venues in Charlotte big enough to support an NHL team? Can we support a third professional sports team?

No, Yes TWC Arena, No lol 

TWC unfortunately cannot house an NHL team.  If you ever went to a Checkers game there, you would note that they never sat anyone on the back side of the net, facing the grand entrance.  They made the arena just slightly too small.  Any upper deck seating on that side, you couldn't even see the net.

^ The Islanders moved to Barclays arena in Brooklyn this year and it has the same basketball-centric design as the cablebox. That meant lots of obstructed view seats and a general dissatisfaction with their otherwise well located new site. The arena design led to the Islanders openly discussing moving out of Barclays before the season was even two months old. 

In short, TWC could host an NHL team, but it would not go well.

My money is on the Hurricanes moving to Quebec City as soon as the Canadian Dollar strengthens. 

Edit: Knight's attendance is a pretty clear signal that Charlotte would have no trouble supporting another major league team. We are certainly a healthier market than these cities which alredy have  three major league teams -- Pittsburgh, Tampa, Cleveland or St. Luis (kinda).

Edited by kermit

My stance on Charlotte being able to support a 3rd major league team has softened. 5 years ago, I was like no way. It's certainly more debatable now. If you look at the success of the Panthers and Hornets in recent years and it's obvious the support is there from both fans and sponsors with more room to grow even. Charlotte is a fickle sports market, there is no debating that though. Our teams win, we come out in droves.. when they don't well, you know.... What kermit said about TWCA is correct as far as hockey goes. It was built with basketball in mind. That's why you get over 19,000 seats for basketball but only 14,000 or so for hockey. To be honest, I would not want Raleigh's loss to be Charlotte's gain there. I hope things clear up with ownership in the Triangle and they find a way to work things out. They can clearly support the team when it's winning, though I know it's been a while since they've been in the playoffs. Just need an owner to run the team better. 

Edited by HopHead

21 minutes ago, DMann said:

Big difference between Major League Hockey ticket prices and Minor League baseball ticket prices.  

Sure. But there is also a big difference in the drawing power of major league vs Triple A.

(I do agree that Charlotte would be a crappy NHL town and I say that as a hardcore hockey fan who would get season tickets)

Edited by kermit

• 1 month later...

Looks like the ACC Network will (finally) launch by 2019. With ESPNU and the SEC Network, among others, already based here I suspect this network will also call Charlotte home as well due in part to the college network programming base that already exists here. 

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/17102933/acc-espn-agree-20-year-rights-deal-lead-2019-launch-acc-network

• Like 1

On 7/18/2016 at 9:40 PM, HopHead said:

Looks like the ACC Network will (finally) launch by 2019. With ESPNU and the SEC Network, among others, already based here I suspect this network will also call Charlotte home as well due in part to the college network programming base that already exists here. 

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/17102933/acc-espn-agree-20-year-rights-deal-lead-2019-launch-acc-network

Let's hope so.

• 4 months later...

Virginia Tech and Clemson will face off in the ACC Championship game in Orlando.  What a shame.  Would have been an easy sellout here in Charlotte and packed our hotels, bars and restaurants for the weekend.  Just another reminder of what a kick in the balls HB2 has been for the city.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ Does college baseball sell well anywhere outside of Starkeville MIssissippi?

Not really but whats the point in having these games in Charlotte if they do not draft decent crowds. The USC/UNC game is already sold out of seats, that is what they should get every game if they are going to bring them. 

The charlotte vs state game a few years ago, brought in more than 8k fans. That was against a mediocre niners team too. This year, the niners have the best team I've seen in a decade, including two top 10 wins, one being #6 nc state at their place.  CLT is receiving votes for top 25. There is a rematch at the end of this month at bbt ballpark uptown and wouldn't be surprised if that is a sell out too or at least pretty dang close. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...