Sports in Charlotte

Were the 'Canes kidnapped at the state line and these are imposters playing in their place. Wow what a blowout by Clemson! Let me be the first to say it Congratulations Clemson represent the Carolinas well!  3rd qtr 38-0    This has got to the be the biggest blowouts in Bank of America Stadium history. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lots of conversation going on in the Panther’s stadium thread that includes musings about sites for MLB... so I wanted to throw this out. Should we even be pursuing MLB, as its popularity is plummeting nationwide? It will be taken over by Soccer soon, as soccer has already passed baseball in every age group except 55+.  Soccer is even likely to pass basketball in the next 10 years, having already caught it in 34 and under and only 2% behind in 35-54.

I think, as Charlotte continues to grow, that we can support the new Big 4: NFL, NBA, MLS, and MLB... but we should seriously consider prioritizing soccer over baseball, especially if we are trying to be more of an international or multicultural city.

*Statistics from a Gallup poll.

BD1D375A-F18C-48B5-B6B0-E88FADEA5F44.thumb.png.485c142a5d339c7980572dbe3ab7e088.png

AE274B3C-6F98-4BCD-816A-265721F7BA47.thumb.png.665807fb96c626d136b140ea08bee3e4.png

• Like 2

On 1/12/2018 at 9:09 AM, JoshuaDrown said:

Lots of conversation going on in the Panther’s stadium thread that includes musings about sites for MLB... so I wanted to throw this out. Should we even be pursuing MLB, as its popularity is plummeting nationwide? It will be taken over by Soccer soon, as soccer has already passed baseball in every age group except 55+.  Soccer is even likely to pass basketball in the next 10 years, having already caught it in 34 and under and only 2% behind in 35-54.

I think, as Charlotte continues to grow, that we can support the new Big 4: NFL, NBA, MLS, and MLB... but we should seriously consider prioritizing soccer over baseball, especially if we are trying to be more of an international or multicultural city.

*Statistics from a Gallup poll.

This is an interesting conversation to me because I grew up in Matthews by the MARA baseball field park with nearly a dozen baseball diamonds, and two (really 1.5) soccer fields. Then on top of the new Matthews Sportsplex (which, to be fair, has the Independence playing there, so clearly caters to Soccer well enough), which hosts the Recreational Baseball League playoffs (or something). Is there a future for mass baseball? Perhaps only on the younger/children side, and minor league teams, which seem to be a fun and affordable for families.

• Like 1

I read that poll and the question is "to watch" and it does not discriminate from watching live or on a screen of any type. My guess is that most participants answer for their device habits and not their paying customer habits. Baseball would then be televised Major League only with perhaps a small bump from College World Series, nothing else. Basketball is huge at college broadcast level added to NBA. As a comparisons of equal levels MLB would outpoll NBA and still well behind football from the NFL.

On 1/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, tarhoosier said:

As a comparisons of equal levels MLB would outpoll NBA and still well behind football from the NFL.

Definitely agree, both football and basketball are so popular at both the pro and college level. Baseball and even to a greater degree, soccer, are likely represented in this poll by their professional leagues. The trends for soccer are fascinating, if we cherrypick the 18-54 range, soccer is the favorite sport to watch for 21% of Americans, compared to 13% for baseball and 23% for basketball. 

I personally think soccer is the sport to invest in, and it will be the second most popular sport in the U.S. in 10-years or so. I’m not equating that directly to revenue from a local team (or specifically a team in MLS), since many of those soccer fans will be fans of a European club, or fans of a National team. 

Either way, Charlotte is likely 3rd or 4th down the list for MLB expansion... and who knows where on the MLS list now that Nashville grabbed the spot that was coming to the Southeast, so unless something changes, we have a while to figure this out. 

Edited by JoshuaDrown

14 minutes ago, JoshuaDrown said:

Either way, Charlotte is likely 3rd or 4th down the list for MLB expansion... and who knows where on the MLS list now that Nashville grabbed the spot that was coming to the Southeast, so unless something changes, we have a while to figure this out. 

I could see Charlotte being a candidate for MLB relocation if not expansion.  Someone mentioned the Rays relocating to Charlotte, and at a gut level that makes sense to me for some reason.  Having grown up in Florida, I always got the sense that pro sports took a second seat to college football.  Heck, most people I knew would rather go to the beach than watch the Rays, other than maybe once a year.  Regarding soccer,  I am not even a soccer fan, but I wholeheartedly agree it is the better investment now.  My fear with soccer is that Charlotte (the Smiths) botched our best chance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Someone mentioned the Rays relocating to Charlotte, and at a gut level that makes sense to me for some reason.  Having grown up in Florida, I always got the sense that pro sports took a second seat to college football.  Heck, most people I knew would rather go to the beach than watch the Rays, other than maybe once a year. 

This is the latest I had read about the Rays, the city intends to keep them, and has acquired the land for a downtown stadium. Funding to build it is next, and more complicated step. Oakland also needs a new stadium, to make staying there viable, but they have also identified a site.  MLB will expand, but the team in the East will most likely be in Montreal... the options for MLB in Charlotte just aren’t very good for the foreseeable future.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/24/new-tampa-bay-rays-stadium-ybor-city-hillsborough-commissioner-hagan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshuaDrown said:

the options for MLB in Charlotte just aren’t very good for the foreseeable future.

Since you posted the demographic information, I am curious for your take on MLS...  Do you see a path for CLT MLS expansion in the next 5 years?  If so, do you think it would require a different ownership group pushing it forward?  It seems like CLT my be on a path for missing a couple of opportunities, and I would hate for us to have wait  15-25  years for the next series or opportunities.

Updated Thought:  I would hate for the Smith family to be majority owners of the Panthers, but if they were minority owners this could work out well.  If the Smiths use their expendable income to be minority owners of the Panthers, that might open the door for a new owner pushing for MLS in CLT.  The big remaining hurdle would be that I don't know who that owner might be...

Edited by J-Rob
Added Thought

Here are two polls, ESPN and Scarborough-Neilsen, about the same issue and separated by property, that is, college football, NFL, college basketball, NBA and so forth, plus another set of metrics that list by professional team sport league (US only-No Premier league)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2018/01/12/has-mlb-been-passed-by-the-nba-in-popularity-the-problems-with-the-gallup-poll/2/#4f557827a622

By these combined metrics soccer is well below the other pro sports leagues. Baseball below NFL.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Here are two polls, ESPN and Scarborough-Neilsen, about the same issue and separated by property, that is, college football, NFL, college basketball, NBA and so forth, plus another set of metrics that list by professional team sport league (US only-No Premier league)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2018/01/12/has-mlb-been-passed-by-the-nba-in-popularity-the-problems-with-the-gallup-poll/2/#4f557827a622

By these combined metrics soccer is well below the other pro sports leagues. Baseball below NFL.

That is insightful, and goodness... it shows the dominance of football in the U.S.  

I do, however, think splitting up a poll like that into single Favorite Sports Property is flawed when looking at sports trends, like the emergence of soccer. As mentioned above, baseball really is MLB, so those who just love baseball aren’t torn between leagues when answering the question. Soccer fans are torn, nearly all of us MLS fans also have a favorite European club, and we probably have been following the Euro club for far longer than our MLS club... there is currently top level soccer in 18 U.S. cities, and only 10 of those cities have had a club for 20 years. 

I am just a huge sports fan, but am a walking example of the trends from the Gallup poll... as I’ve gotten older I watch less and less baseball and basketball, but more and more soccer. Football has stayed consistent. Football and soccer are the only sports I regularly watch when my favorite team isn’t playing (unless there is money on the game... then I’d even watch curling).

Edited by JoshuaDrown

23 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Updated Thought:  I would hate for the Smith family to be majority owners of the Panthers, but if they were minority owners this could work out well.  If the Smiths use their expendable income to be minority owners of the Panthers, that might open the door for a new owner pushing for MLS in CLT.  The big remaining hurdle would be that I don't know who that owner might be...

Of note, Atlanta wasn’t even really on the MLS expansion radar until Arthur Blank included them in the plans for Mercedes-Benz Stadium with a setup specifically for soccer (at 42,500 they wrecked MLS attendance records, and had 67,000 there in the playoffs this year). I suppose it is feasible that something like that could happen with the Panthers new ownership situation and stadium talk.  Heck, when you are paying $2B, what’s an extra $150M for a soccer club that’ll play in the same stadium?

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 1

I’d still prefer MLB.  The difference for me is the caliber of the leagues.

Getting an MLB team means you’ve got a team in the best baseball league on the planet.

Getting an MLS team means you’ve got a team in the 20th-ish best league on the planet.  The league will continue to improve of course, but it’ll always play second or third fiddle to the real leagues in Europe.

Which brings me to an issue I have with the poll.  I love watching soccer.  I don’t love watching the MLS.  Big difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I love watching soccer.  I don’t love watching the MLS.  Big difference.

Yeah, that's the thing with MLS. If it's in your town, you love it and follow it. If it's not, you don't pay any attention to it. 

I don't think Charlotte gets MLB or MLS any time soon.  With the Panthers' stadium issue looming on the horizon, there won't be any pubic money for anything else.  Not for a while, anyway. 

Nobody want to talk about the sale of the Independence?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/25/former-nucor-ceo-buying-charlotte-independence.html

I never had the impression that DiMicco had very deep pockets but he is very well connected locally (but I think may have rubbed some the wrong way) and certainly w donny's administration. Glad to hear McPhilliamy will continue in his roles.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kermit said:

Nobody want to talk about the sale of the Independence?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/01/25/former-nucor-ceo-buying-charlotte-independence.html

I never had the impression that DiMicco had very deep pockets but he is very well connected locally (but I think may have rubbed some the wrong way) and certainly w donny's administration. Glad to hear McPhilliamy will continue in his roles.

Good influx of cash and vote of confidence in the team.  Have to think a long term lease at Memorial is the next domino to fall into place for them.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:25 PM, KJHburg said:

Best local Superbowl commercial would be CPI's with Christian looking into the Luke gnome closet.

Worst: Charlotte Metro Credit union   No one wants to see someone on a toilet using a phone 

Are you sure those weren't Tide ads?

• 1 month later...