Sports in Charlotte

Despite not being a soccer fan, I found myself watching the 'local' matches at fan zones in Berlin (at the Tiergarten and Brandenburg Gate) and Amsterdam (the large lawn in the Museum District) in the past week. Lots of beer was available in both places (although the German's do beer better -- the cups in Amsterdam were tiny, I had to get 4 at a time). I gotta admit, the massive crowds, their enthusiasm and impressive play converted me. I am now a casual fan.

Having said that, the games I have seen make me think that half of each match is consumed by players faking massive testicular trauma.

Edited by kermit

• 3 weeks later...

So I jumped the gun on the Olympic announcement - our fellow Charlottean has only been invited to a tryout camp.

To elrodvt, next week the Raptors' director of rugby is coming to Charlotte for a visit - we might poach him away from Denver. I'm also appaled by your wish, league is just team kill-the-man. It can be exciting, but there isn't enough nuanced technique for me. There is league in the states, a new team is forming in Charlotte, trying to get into the USARL.

Tennessee and WVU will play in BoA stadium in 2018. This game could potentially have 140,000 fans in a 70,000 seat stadium.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/22/5059327/tennessee-west-virginia-to-play.html#.U858YbHpVNg

Three to four big college games a year, every year, in BoA would be huge for the city -- far more impact than the NFL. 

The four games would be: ACC championship, Belk Bowl (well, bigish), an early season game between big schools in the region like UT-WVU plus a big game between one of the 'local' ACC or SEC schools and a rival (e.g. NCSU-ECU, UNC-Clemson, UNC-ECU, UNC-USC or Duke-Wake (just kidding with the last one))

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Tennessee and WVU will play in BoA stadium in 2018. This game could potentially have 140,000 fans in a 70,000 seat stadium.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/07/22/5059327/tennessee-west-virginia-to-play.html#.U858YbHpVNg

Three to four big college games a year, every year, in BoA would be huge for the city -- far more impact than the NFL. 

The four games would be: ACC championship, Belk Bowl (well, bigish), an early season game like UT-WVU plus a big game between one of the 'local' schools and a rival (e.g. NCSU-ECU, USC-UNC, etc.

Charlotte will be playing an opponent at BoA in 2016. No word on who it is yet, but it has to be a major conference team. Anyone else would just play on campus.

Charlotte will be playing an opponent at BoA in 2016. No word on who it is yet, but it has to be a major conference team. Anyone else would just play on campus.

I'm guessing Marshall given the feedback I have received from the 2 or 3 Blundering Herd alums I know. That, or App State.

I'm guessing Marshall given the feedback I have received from the 2 or 3 Blundering Herd alums I know. That, or App State.

I had heard the rumor about App State being the opponent for Charlotte on a few different occasions... Obviously not the draw of Tennessee/WVU, but would certainly do well from a regional stand point. 

I had heard the rumor about App State being the opponent for Charlotte on a few different occasions... Obviously not the draw of Tennessee/WVU, but would certainly do well from a regional stand point. 

It's not a rumor. We're playing App State in 2018 and 2019 though. First game is in Charlotte. 0 chance that game is played at BoA. App State is a Sun Belt school. They're not going to dictate the terms of a game and get it played at BoA stadium.

It's not Marshall. We're not going to play a conference opponent at an off campus location. Herd fans will get their 2,000 seat allotment like the conference requires even in our current small stadium.

We're playing UK next year. 2016 might be a return game from them, although I think it would be a mistake to play a team like Kentucky in BoA. That game would probably have 40,000 fans, max. Probably in the 30's. That'll look pretty bad in a stadium of 70,000.

I fully expect to see expansion plans announced before the beginning of next season.

Edited by Niner National

It's not a rumor. We're playing App State in 2018 and 2019 though. First game is in Charlotte. 0 chance that game is played at BoA. App State is a Sun Belt school. They're not going to dictate the terms of a game and get it played at BoA stadium.

It's not Marshall. We're not going to play a conference opponent at an off campus location. Herd fans will get their 2,000 seat allotment like the conference requires even in our current small stadium.

We're playing UK next year. 2016 might be a return game from them, although I think it would be a mistake to play a team like Kentucky in BoA. That game would probably have 40,000 fans, max. Probably in the 30's. That'll look pretty bad in a stadium of 70,000.

I fully expect to see expansion plans announced before the beginning of next season.

Could it be UNC then?

We have to have expansion completed to join C-USA. I looked at the expansion agreement when the news came out. We have to sell out every game for 2 seasons & then expand to 40,000 to join the conference.