Sports in Charlotte

Pretty cool day to be in uptown and southend. Lines wrapped around the building in the epicenter to meet Daniel Agger in Whiskey River. Simon Mingolet and Emory Can down at Dunkin Donuts in Southend, line wrapped around the building as well.

Off to hooligans I go!

When were they at Dunkin Donuts? I work across the street from there and heard a couple players were at one but didn't know which one. I'm in a bottom floor so I can't see the building from my desk. But I also saw Tweets abouty Mignolet at Whiskey River and Gerrard at a Dunkin, so who was where?

I had to give up my tickets for the Liverpool-AC Milan game, who went & how was the atmosphere?

Also, my buddy who got the tryout for the USA Rugby Olympic training center in Chula Vista did not get a contract, bummer. He's still working hard so maybe next year. There are a handful of kids who played high school rugby in Charlotte and are extremely talented. Hopefully one of them gets to represent the US of A in 2016 or 2020.

The attendance figures for the International Champions Cup, Charlotte had an excellent showing. These were the announced attendance figures as from watching the game at FedEx Field (Landover) there is absolutely no way that there was 61,000 people there.

Manchester United v Real Madrid - Ann Arbor - 109,318

Liverpool v AC Milan - Charlotte - 69,364

Real Madrid v Inter Milan - Berkeley - 62,583

Manchester United v Inter Milan - Landover - 61,238

Real Madrid v AS Roma - Dallas - 57,512

AS Roma v Manchester United - Denver - 54,117

Manchester United v Liverpool - Miami - 51,014

Liverpool v Manchester City - New York - 49,653

Liverpool v Olympiacos - Chicago - 36,170

Manchester City v AC Milan - Pittsburgh - 34,347

Manchester City v Olympiacos - Minneapolis - 34,047

Inter Milan v AS Roma - Philadelphia - 12,169

Olympiacos v AC Milan - Toronto - 10,603

• Like 1

Announced today: Davidson will host UNC on November 22nd at Time Warner Cable Arena... 

I pity Davidson for this one though. It will be a "home" game for the Tarheels. 

yeah, gotta do what you gotta do though to play big name teams.

It'll be a slaughter though. Davidson lost a lot of talent from last year's team. They're picked last in the A10 this year (their first year in the A10).

I honestly think Davidson is in for a tough future. They're not playing in a cupcake league any more. I'm not sure they can recruit the kind of players that can compete for 20 games against A10 opponents.  They always have the kind of team that can pull an upset since they play solid fundamental basketball, but they've often struggled against very athletic teams.

yeah, gotta do what you gotta do though to play big name teams.

It'll be a slaughter though. Davidson lost a lot of talent from last year's team. They're picked last in the A10 this year (their first year in the A10).

I honestly think Davidson is in for a tough future. They're not playing in a cupcake league any more. I'm not sure they can recruit the kind of players that can compete for 20 games against A10 opponents. They always have the kind of team that can pull an upset since they play solid fundamental basketball, but they've often struggled against very athletic teams.

Didn't Davidson beat you guys last year?

Didn't Davidson beat you guys last year?

They did, but Charlotte hasn't been a measure of a good team in a while.  We always have enough talent to pull a big upset almost every year (we've beaten a top 20 ranked team 7 out of the last 9 years I believe), but we always falter at the end of the year.

It was their first victory ever in Halton arena. Had to happen eventually. Even with all the down years we had in the 80's and all the mediocrity since 2005 (coinciding with some of Davidson's best years), the all time series record is still like 30-11 in Charlotte's favor.

I just don't think Davidson can recruit the caliber of player necessary with their academics to compete in a top 7 basketball conference. If they lower the academic requirements a bit, then sure, but there are a limited number of players that meet their requirements that are also really good at basketball and Davidson isn't going to be the first choice for those guys.

Looks like someone is putting together a grassroots campaign to bring MLS to Charlotte.  Not sure if it's legit, but looks like they may be working with Bring Back the Buzz as well.  Full disclaimer, I did not create it, I just want MLS in Charlotte, haha.

https://twitter.com/QueenCity_FC

http://wmgreen.wix.com/queencityfc

• Like 2

I've been following this new account on Twitter as well.  It's nice to see the interest there.  Hopefully these guys can link up with the Hounds owner to put together a cohesive campaign versus going off and doing their own thing.  The only way we'll ever get a team is if the USL Pro club has great support and a willing owner.  The entry fee for an MLS team was $40 million only 3-4 years ago, today it's jumped to $100 million.  I can see that going even higher when MLS negotiates it's new TV deal in 2015.  

I will say I like the logo of the Queen City FC account and one that someone submitted to him.  Didn't want to post the pics in the message cause they're huge!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bu3i6AOIUAAGfPe.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/497767271842848768/U40ELGbb.jpeg

I've been following this new account on Twitter as well.  It's nice to see the interest there.  Hopefully these guys can link up with the Hounds owner to put together a cohesive campaign versus going off and doing their own thing.  The only way we'll ever get a team is if the USL Pro club has great support and a willing owner.  The entry fee for an MLS team was $40 million only 3-4 years ago, today it's jumped to $100 million.  I can see that going even higher when MLS negotiates it's new TV deal in 2015.  

I will say I like the logo of the Queen City FC account and one that someone submitted to him.  Didn't want to post the pics in the message cause they're huge!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bu3i6AOIUAAGfPe.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/497767271842848768/U40ELGbb.jpeg

I also really like the kits they came up with.  I'm a big fan of the pinstripes.  The road to getting an MLS team will be tough, but this city seems to have a knack for getting what it was if it eyeballs something.  If the city and Hounds ownership can come together, I have no doubt we can land a franchise before 2020.  Since nothing seems to be happening over at Bojangles arena (nudge nudge) I'm still a big advocate for diverting that money into renovating Memorial into an MLS quality stadium!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I agree I hope the money gets diverted to Memorial Stadium.  With MLS dedicating expansion teams to 22 teams before 2020 and their goal of getting 2 more before 2020 we need to act fast!  Miami is having a hard time finding Beckham land for a downtown stadium for his club.  We need to lure him to Charlotte and get Michael Jordan to sign on as his minority partner (with his newly found billionaire status).  We may not have the glamour of south beach but maybe Becks would find the idea of teaming with MJ appealing.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

I agree.  I just don't know the extent of the ownership option that he exercised and whether there's a deadline for him to bring a team to the MLS.  If there is, maybe positioning ourselves for a team and having another high profile owner in the city might be enough.  Just spit ballin' ideas at this point :)

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going to try to steer the new Charlotte USLPro team conversation back to this thread and leave the Memorial Stadium thread for reno talks.

http://charlotteindependence.com/

This is the website.  I implore all of us to visit and at least vote on the logos.  They have a bunch and, frankly I really like some of them.  I'm not going to say someone from their department reads the UP, but it appears they certainly did their due diligence in creating a logo that heavily incorporates Charlotte history and specifically Captain Jack.  Jack and 1775 are in every crest design, and quite a few also incorporate our crown.  Apparently they will be set up on the 4th floor of the Epicenter today (presumably to capture the Alive after 5 crowd?) where they will be selling $50/seat season ticket deposits for 2015.

I'm not a fan of the current logo winning, simply because the colors are a carbon copy of Colorado's in the MLS (of who we will be a farm team, so there is some logic behind that) but we would likely need to change if we ever get there.

Go Jacks.  Go Horsemen.

• Like 2

Thanks for getting us back on track, I'm a bad offender of using the other thread.  I really like the one that is winning but I wish it were in the color scheme of the first shield that's a navy, red, white and mustard yellow.  I think all of the other color schemes are too close to Sporting KC, Philadelphia Union or the Rapids.  I like the colors of the first because they'd be more unique to us.

The team management actually said yesterday that in the voting comments if you like one shield but wish it were in a different color scheme then to share those thoughts.  So it sounds like these are conceptual but may not be the finished product

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

I like it makes me feel at home with the Rapids! ;-)

So, you promise a $50 depo but there is no word on season tix prices?

Does anyone know if there are only bleachers or are there chair back choices?

I saw something about the prices for season tickets being roughly $15/game and about 15 home matches.  So $225 for season tickets would be my guess, but of course that is likely the worst seat in the house.  I don't know if Memorial has any chairs with backs on them right now.  But I'm not in the know enough to say for sure.

• 4 weeks later...