Sports in Charlotte

21 minutes ago, JBS said:

This is terribly off topic but this is an actual sentence from a Charlotte Stories story:

The Tar Heels staged an incredible comeback after being down 35-32 at the half

An incredible comeback?  Down by 3 with 20 minutes to go?  RDF, you are right about these guys...

hyperbole for the sake of hyperbole. 

• 1 month later...

Sad week for Charlotte sports talk radio.  WFNZ has let go of Yarbs and QCB.  Pretty shocked about QCB, he's been on there slinging comedy since the days of Gump and Packman.  Disappointing to hear they let him go.  3 w/the QCB and CIAA legends were some of my favorite things they did on that show.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2017 at 8:00 PM, elrodvt said:

Was there a MLS thread? I can't find it.

Not looking good according to this article (and what we've all read in the paper): https://www.soccernation.com/mls-expansion-quest-power-rankings/

That bid has seemingly been doomed since the get-go.  As much of a soccer fan as I am, I think I'll be relieved if we don't get a team, because I have a feeling it would fail here.  MLB is the clear choice for Charlotte if and when the league expands.

• Like 2

MLB in the south is doomed as well I think. Just go to a Knights game, all people care about is standing for innings in front of you and being seen. Plus it would need to go downtown and we lost that space to AAA although maybe someplace in Levine land could work.

That said, the Rays are on a failing path so never say never I guess.

Edited by elrodvt

32 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

That bid has seemingly been doomed since the get-go.  As much of a soccer fan as I am, I think I'll be relieved if we don't get a team, because I have a feeling it would fail here.  MLB is the clear choice for Charlotte if and when the league expands.

100% agree on MLB being right for Charlotte.  MLB is seemingly rising in popularity again.  It was recently rated as America's second favorite sport after the NFL and even ranked above college football.  MLS is small potatoes compared to MLB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

MLB in the south is doomed as well I think. Just go to a Knights game, all people care about is standing for innings in front of you and being seen. Plus it would need to go downtown and we lost that space to AAA although maybe someplace in Levine land could work.

That said, the Rays are on a failing path so never say never I guess.

I think people would care more if we actually had a team to root for. I love going to Knights games but do not root for them like I do the Hornets and Panthers and I feel like a lot of people are the same way. On actually getting a MLB team I don't think it helps that the Knights attendance has gone done every season since moving uptown but they do still average the most fans in the minor leagues at 8,933 a game. Those week night games are hurting us now.

There is a big difference in a minor league game vs a major league game.  When you are tracking a team and care about where they are in the standings the feeling is totally different.  There is probably no one in this forum who knows where the Knights are in the standings.  There are few who know any of the players other than Mocada, and once a player gets good, he is called up to the parent team.  

• Like 1

I agree with MiLB being hard to root for but you still follow basic baseball etiquette if a baseball fan. I mean who would stand in their aisle for 2-3 innings chatting in front of people?

Don't get me wrong I would love it and I dearly miss my Rockies season tickets (especially this year)! BTW, one thing I really liked about Coors was you could bring in your own food and drinks - talk about family friendly. I've never been to another MLB park that allows that. 

Where could a stadium go though and what would happen to those poor Knights/BB&T ballpark? AAA and MLB in the same city won't work. Seems like a lot of issues to work through. Although I suppose most MLB franchises had MilB before so they must work through it somehow.

Alright I'm gonna come out of the closet. I've been on the charlotte could never support MLB EVER EVER EVER team. I currently find myself at a Cleveland Indians game in Cleveland and you know what, I think I've changed my mind. I look around and you know what, Charlotte could totally do this. @Jayvee is going to text me in disagreement in about 5 min, but yea. This is doable, much more so than MLS.

I think Charlotte could support MLS or MLB given the right situation! I don't think the Smith family gives that opportunity in MLS though due to their former behavior. I see a pro sports team owned by them looking like a George Shinn owned hornets team.

17 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Alright I'm gonna come out of the closet. I've been on the charlotte could never support MLB EVER EVER EVER team. I currently find myself at a Cleveland Indians game in Cleveland and you know what, I think I've changed my mind. I look around and you know what, Charlotte could totally do this. @Jayvee is going to text me in disagreement in about 5 min, but yea. This is doable, much more so than MLS.

What are you doing in Cleveland?  Did you lose a bet?

• Like 2

Was there ever a plan to expand BB&T for the Knights? Maybe adding something like the Home Run Porch but over in left field or possibly more seats? Our attendance would be so much higher if we could fit more people in for the Thursday- Sunday games. Also the 4th of July game is always a sell out, could break the attendance record this season.

The last thing you want is a lot of empty seats for typical games. It cheapens your brand.

I think the size is about right but attendance has been steadily declining so we'll see. I'm talking actual gate not ticket sales and am going by my eyes as a season ticket holder. I don't know if those numbers are available somewhere.

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Hey to be fair , Cleveland has a lot of cool ish CLT lacks. And as far as a team goes, Cleveland is in the bottom 5 in attendance. Charlotte would join them at the bottom if we got a team. 

Haha, I'm just playing around.  I know you're from Cleveland. Just did it to rile you up a bit, :lol:.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Hey to be fair , Cleveland has a lot of cool ish CLT lacks. And as far as a team goes, Cleveland is in the bottom 5 in attendance. Charlotte would join them at the bottom if we got a team. 

Agree that CLE has a lot of cool that CLT doesn't.  I would absolutely love to have a street like Euclid Ave in Uptown.

Have to ask though, how do you know we'd be near the bottom in terms of attendance like Cleveland?  How do you know that we wouldn't be like Milwaukee, which despite being the smallest market in the Majors by far is currently number 15 in attendance and just a few years ago was hovering around 10-12 in attendance rankings?

A city's size is not necessarily an end all be all predictor of attendance.  There are many large market teams (Phillies, Chi White Sox, Miami) right now near the bottom in attendance rankings. Conversely a team in one of the smallest markets is number 2 in attendance.  Even so, an MLB team doesn't have to average 35,000+ fans per game to be successful.  If that were the case, there'd be a lot of unsuccessful teams in the league right now.  And with many stadiums nowadays being built with a max capacity of 38,000 ish, a crowd of 23,000-26,000 would make the stadium look and feel quite full.  

If the commissioner of baseball thinks that Charlotte has the potential to support a team-which he does-then Charlotte has the potential to support a team.  

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, ah59396 said:

What are you doing in Cleveland?  Did you lose a bet?

bachelor party, actually was megafun. Cleveland had some fantastic bars and a couple pretty damn good nudie bars. 

18 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Was there ever a plan to expand BB&T for the Knights? Maybe adding something like the Home Run Porch but over in left field or possibly more seats? Our attendance would be so much higher if we could fit more people in for the Thursday- Sunday games. Also the 4th of July game is always a sell out, could break the attendance record this season.

There is currently a plan to add about 500 seats in the outfield as part of the outparcel building. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, DMann said:

I am a die hard baseball fan, and a Knights season ticket holder, but first and foremost, I am a Cleveland Indians fan.  Folks, they have just won there 21st game in a row!  WOW!

Then I'll give you the same treatment I gave to @Jayvee when he came on here cheering after the Cav's won the Finals.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like 1

An investor from Charlotte has applied for a franchise in a new startup soccer league called the National Independent Soccer Association (NISA). The NISA is billing itself as a 3rd tier league looking to begin play in spring 2018 with the local team, Charlotte FC, apparently in talks to play at Memorial Stadium. 

http://704fc.com/

http://www.nisaofficial.com/

If this comes to fruition it will be the 4th pro/semi-pro soccer team in Charlotte joining:

Charlotte Independence - USL

Charlotte Eagles - PDL

FC Carolina United - NPSL

• Like 3