Sports in Charlotte

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone doing the Charlotte Marathon on 11/03?  I'm running the full and my wife is running the half.  The best part was the two half marathon training runs at 6:00 am on recent Saturdays.  Great way to see the city (running with a group in the dark is very cool).  Anyone else going to be out there?

1 hour ago, JBS said:

Anyone doing the Charlotte Marathon on 11/03?  I'm running the full and my wife is running the half.  The best part was the two half marathon training runs at 6:00 am on recent Saturdays.  Great way to see the city (running with a group in the dark is very cool).  Anyone else going to be out there?

Yep. Doing the half with my wife and some friends. A wonderful race and great tour of our beautiful city. Good luck to ya. Miles 18+ were a real doozy for me last time I ran the full. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sclark said:

Yep. Doing the half with my wife and some friends. A wonderful race and great tour of our beautiful city. Good luck to ya. Miles 18+ were a real doozy for me last time I ran the full. 

How do marathons/road races in general work in most cities? Do they typically run through neighborhoods? Living in Elizabeth there are constantly races on our street and in the surrounding neighborhood. It truly can make it hard to leave the house on a regular basis on Saturday mornings. 

1 hour ago, sakami said:

How do marathons/road races in general work in most cities? Do they typically run through neighborhoods? Living in Elizabeth there are constantly races on our street and in the surrounding neighborhood. It truly can make it hard to leave the house on a regular basis on Saturday mornings. 

I (truly) feel for you.  I know that there was a race through Elizabeth last Saturday.  If I lived there, I'd be enthused until it became an inconvenience.  I can tell you that, for past Charlotte marathons, folks in NODA and Myers Park really get into it.  They have signs, music, drinks that are unique to the neighborhoods (and not supplied by the race organizers).  I always thought that was really cool (and unexpected in MP) and it's a huge encouragement to the runners.  

Regarding other cities, I can't say for sure.  I know that most marathons run through residential areas for significant portions of the races but I don't know how many other races are held annually.  I suspect that the situations are similar and that one of the inconveniences of living so close to urban areas is dealing with frequent races. 

BTW, in 2016 the Elizabeth neighbors also were enthusiastically cheering on the runners.  That was a tough part of the race for me due to injury and they definitely helped me get through it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JBS said:

I (truly) feel for you.  I know that there was a race through Elizabeth last Saturday.  If I lived there, I'd be enthused until it became an inconvenience.  I can tell you that, for past Charlotte marathons, folks in NODA and Myers Park really get into it.  They have signs, music, drinks that are unique to the neighborhoods (and not supplied by the race organizers).  I always thought that was really cool (and unexpected in MP) and it's a huge encouragement to the runners.  

Regarding other cities, I can't say for sure.  I know that most marathons run through residential areas for significant portions of the races but I don't know how many other races are held annually.  I suspect that the situations are similar and that one of the inconveniences of living so close to urban areas is dealing with frequent races. 

BTW, in 2016 the Elizabeth neighbors also were enthusiastically cheering on the runners.  That was a tough part of the race for me due to injury and they definitely helped me get through it.

Yeah there is a race at least once a month and we don’t always get notice about them. We’ve been here for a while and it seems like the number of races keeps ramping up. And there are many occasions the races run down our street and 7th and Randolph so it’s not like we can park somewhere else without walking a mile to avoid the road closures. But you’re right, they can be fun and people get into it. My kids love to go out and shake cowbells at the runners to cheer them on.  I just I wish we could spread the races around a little more. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tickets to the ACC Championship this weekend in BofA Stadium might not be selling as well as imagined.  I noticed today that stadium staff is putting large ACC tarps over sections of seats in the upper deck of the stadium.  I'm not that surprised to be honest.  Pitt is definitely not going to draw nearly as large of a crowd as a highly ranked Miami like last year, or a team with a bigger regional presence like UNC, Georgia Tech, or Virginia Tech.  Tickets right now can be purchased on SeatGeek for $15.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

Tickets to the ACC Championship this weekend in BofA Stadium might not be selling as well as imagined.  I noticed today that stadium staff is putting large ACC tarps over sections of seats in the upper deck of the stadium.  I'm not that surprised to be honest.  Pitt is definitely not going to draw nearly as large of a crowd as a highly ranked Miami like last year, or a team with a bigger regional presence like UNC, Georgia Tech, or Virginia Tech.  Tickets right now can be purchased on SeatGeek for $15.

75% chance of rain too might be damping the attendance.

2 hours ago, CTiger said:

I feel like crappy bowl attendance is an annual story, the variable being "how crappy." 

On 11/23/2018 at 7:41 PM, End_The_Sprawl said:

For the first time in its history, the UNC Charlotte Football head coach has been let go. Good luck 

Word on the street is Mike Houston is "expected" to be the next HC. Would be a huge get! This guy is a winner. Anyone who has been keeping up with it though knows the complicated situation of the leaked press announcement. Inks not dry yet, but as the only D1 school in Charlotte, sports are on the rise...get on board folks. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I feel like crappy bowl attendance is an annual story, the variable being "how crappy." 

Yea, it does seem like either the ACC Championship or the bowl really struggles each year. Not sure it has much to do with us,, college football is struggling (just about) everywhere. (I am guessing the $46 figure is a good bit higher than what you would find on stubhub now)

C773577A-FE9A-4B98-8C37-F4B7C4E54292.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

The thing with these conference championship games, it's all about match ups. We all know Clemson will travel well. As does VA Tech, Miami, FSU and Louisville. Pitt plays in the Steelers stadium and it's usually half to at best 3/4 full most of the time for their home games. Plus they are 7-5. So not the least big surprised about about those ticket prices. The SEC is playing for a spot in the the CFP playoff every year, and they could actually send both Georgia and Alabama there this year again. Texas and Oklahoma is a huge rivalry game too. When the ACC Title game has a big matchup like last year, it will sell out. If it doesn't like this year, then it won't. The ACC was running neck and neck with the SEC a few years ago. They've taken a step back this year though. I wish the conference title game would throw out the divisions and just put the teams with the two best records in it. Would add more compelling games every year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HopHead said:

I wish the conference title game would throw out the divisions and just put the teams with the two best records in it. Would add more compelling games every year. 

Completely agree. The ACC's divisions structure (in terms of the strength of teams in each) has really hurt its football competitiveness IMO.

Edited by kermit

The ACC is also the only conference that has to deal with cold and sh*tty weather.  I go to the championship game every year that it is in Charlotte, but I'm not going to do it this year because I don't want to spend my whole day standing out in the cold and rain.  It was bitter cold last year and two years ago as well.

SEC - Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta (Dome)

Big 10 - Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis (Dome)

Big 12 - AT&T Stadium, Dallas (Dome)

Pac-12 - Levi's Stadium, San Francisco 

Charlotte dropped the offer to Houston and now focusing on Will Healy of Austin Peay.  Sounds like the PJ Fleck (Western Michigan -> Minnesota coach currently) of the FCS

https://sports.yahoo.com/12-year-old-meet-countrys-unconventional-young-coach-212251713.html

http://footballscoop.com/news/update-charlottes-head-coaching-search/

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

The above comment was correct. Will Healy of Austin Peay was announced as the new head coach today. Here is an email sent to students about it. In another email it said there will be press conference and presentation of the new coach on Wednesday December 5th at 2:30 in Richardson Stadium that is open to the public if you are interested in attending 

Screenshot_20181204-212928.jpg

Edited by Trickbot
  • Like 1

Watched the press conference today...i saw a young, hungry coach, whose enthusiasm was infectious...overall im pretty optimistic, despite his limited resume. Glad Hill pulled the plug on Houston after being indecisive. Things happen for a reason and I think Healy will do well. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

How many Professional Teams do you guys think the Charlotte Market can handle successfully?  Was just thinking that ATL has many Professional Sports Teams but several smaller cities/metro areas have many more Professional Teams, like Denver and Nashville.

We have the same number of teams as Nashville, unless you're counting the SEC

• Haha 1