Sports in Charlotte

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, eastsider said:

The International Champions Cup will be return to Bank of America Stadium on July 20 with a match between Arsenal and AS Roma.

This is awesome.  I know it doesn't draw crowds like a lot of other sporting events, but the fact that Charlotte gets to host UCL caliber clubs has to do wonders for putting the city's name on the map.  I mean, people in Rome and London are going to be watching, reading, and focusing on a game being played in BofA Stadium.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't keep up with hockey that much, but was wanting to possibly catch a game in Raleigh for the eastern conference finals, but does anyone know why the schedule isn't posted past game 1 online, which is tonight?  I'm just trying to figure out when their next home game(s) are. 

*And wow...this must be the first time that both the Checkers and Canes made it to the Eastern Conference finals in the same season...pretty cool to see both teams doing so well.  I'd be lying if I didn't jump on the Canes bandwagon a little bit...good for hockey in this state.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

4 minutes ago, kermit said:

^  home games on Tuesday and Thursday and Monday @ 8pm

Thanks!  Just saw that on the Hurricanes site.  The google search for the schedule was just showing Game 1 tonight.  Damn, going to be tough tring to make that Tues or Thurs game.  Maybe if it's 3-0 going into Thurs game lol. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

• 3 weeks later...

The Canes (aka Bunch of Jerks) up in Raleigh unfortunately lost their bid for the Stanley Cup in the Eastern Conference Finals.  However their AHL affiliates, the Charlotte Checkers (aka Baby Jerks) punched their ticket to the Calder Cup Finals last night with a thrilling double overtime win over the reigning Calder Cup champs, the Toronto Marlies.

This is the first time Charlotte, in its short history with the AHL, has a team playing for the championship.  And for those who don’t know they’ve been a dominant team all year, clinching the best regular season record and so far the best postseason record in the AHL.  Of course it helps that some of the guys who were called up to the Canes during their magical run are back in Charlotte playing.

I encourage everyone to catch a game in the finals.  They have home ice advantage and will be playing the first two games at the Biscuit (aka Bojangles Coliseum) starting next Saturday.  It’s a great place to watch a hockey game-much better than Spectrum IMHO.  And for those of you who thought their move out of downtown was a mistake, in their last year at Spectrum, they averaged just over 5800 fans per game.  In their first year at Bojangles they averaged just over 5900 fans per game and in the four seasons since have steadily increased attendance to just under 6700 per game this season.   That’s just off their all time highs from right after they first moved to Charlotte, but they are no longer in a densely populated area where a casual fan can just drop in and watch a game.  All-in-all they’ve been pretty successful in their new digs both on the ice and at the ticket counter, and now they are hopefully going to make some history.  Part of me hopes they win in four, but part of me hopes that they win in six so they can hoist the cup in the Biscuit.  At any rate I hope they win regardless of whether that’s in four games or seven.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 7:39 AM, cltbwimob said:

I encourage everyone to catch a game in the finals.  They have home ice advantage and will be playing the first two games at the Biscuit (aka Bojangles Coliseum) starting next Saturday.  It’s a great place to watch a hockey game-much better than Spectrum IMHO.  And for those of you who thought their move out of downtown was a mistake, in their last year at Spectrum, they averaged just over 5800 fans per game.  In their first year at Bojangles they averaged just over 5900 fans per game and in the four seasons since have steadily increased attendance to just under 6700 per game this season.   That’s just off their all time highs from right after they first moved to Charlotte, but they are no longer in a densely populated area where a casual fan can just drop in and watch a game.  All-in-all they’ve been pretty successful in their new digs both on the ice and at the ticket counter, and now they are hopefully going to make some history.  

I am one of those folks who was not pleased about the move to Bojangles, but I’ll admit, it has turned out well. Its a good atmosphere for hockey (it frequently gets loud when the Cable Box never was), there are now more repeat (and thus knowledgeable) fans, concession prices are better, and ice quality has been good (even when its in the 90s outside).  I remember a year or two when the Checkers made the playoffs while in the Cable Box (never making it through two rounds) and attendance was almost always counted in the low hundreds — they have certainly solved that problem this year. I am pleased to say that Charlotte is becoming a hockey town.  

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Would that be the same weekend as Speed Street?  That could be interesting.  

So far, the Observer report hasn't explained how Charlotte was able to hold dates for the tournament when Durham was not.  But it's breaking news, so maybe they'll get around to that soon.

• Like 1

As a Georgia guy I am bummed that the Belk Bowl will now alternate SEC and Big 10(ish) teams against the ACC. I didn't see any word on sponsorship, isnt that up for renewal now? Regardless of sponsorship it sounds like the game is good through 2025 with those league partnerships.

Can't wait for that super-sexy Rutgers-duke matchup! I guess It could have been worse...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/big-changes-reportedly-coming-with-next-college-football-bowl-cycle-233855618.html

Edited by kermit

Belk Bowl will continue in Charlotte with alternating years of SEC and Big Ten vs ACC good news indeed.

""The Southeastern and Big Ten conferences this week disclosed agreements to alternate sending member schools to the Belk Bowl in Charlotte — an all-but-certain confirmation the game itself will be played here through 2025. But it’s going to be at least a few more weeks before the inevitable becomes official.  This week, a bowl spokesman told me that, for the moment, the only thing definite is that the SEC and Big Ten will send a school here every other year — a Big Ten team in 2020, 2022 and 2024; one from the SEC in 2021, 2023 and 2025.  The current six-year contract for the bowl game at Bank of America Stadium expires after the 2019 game, to be played on New Year’s Eve. Since 2014, an Atlantic Coast Conference team has faced one from the SEC in the Belk Bowl. The Greensboro-based ACC has been part of the bowl from the game’s inception in 2002.  There is no doubt that the ACC’s continued participation is a mere formality. A conference spokesperson told me Thursday the ACC plans to disclose its future bowl ties next month. That likely means it'll be announced here in Charlotte, where ACC football media days are scheduled July 18 and 19.""

subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/07/mystery-mostly-solved-heres-what-the-future-holds.html

• Like 4