Sports in Charlotte

7 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Disappointing to see the Hornets have fallen to the bottom 5 for attendance in the NBA so far this season: http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

I really want MLS, but I hope our metro can support three major league teams well. 

Like most southern metros, Charlotte is a fickle sports town. When our teams are winning, people come out. Hornets have been nothing but slightly above average in competitiveness at best since they've returned. Plus the best player in Hornets history (sorry, it's not Larry Johnson or Alonzo) just left for the Celtics. We've never experienced  a consistent winner in this town... 

12 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Like most southern metros, Charlotte is a fickle sports town. When our teams are winning, people come out. Hornets have been nothing but slightly above average in competitiveness at best since they've returned. Plus the best player in Hornets history (sorry, it's not Larry Johnson or Alonzo) just left for the Celtics. We've never experienced  a consistent winner in this town... 

I would go to so many more Hornets games if concessions (beer) prices came down.  Its hard to stomach watching a floundering team when you can't even afford to drown your sorrows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

UNC Charlotte football is BOWL ELIGIBLE.    this would be great to get any of these.  I just might have to go to one of these.  Dallas, New Orleans, Bahamas, Boca Raton, St Pete (with nonstop flights from Concord), ABQ

https://charlotte49ers.com/sports/2019/11/21/bowl-central.aspx

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Not directly related to the sports scene in Charlotte or even in North Carolina, but MLB's proposal to drop affiliations to up to 40+ minor league teams is causing some consternation in several markets nationwide.  Does not seem to be affecting any teams in NC.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/11/18/more-details-emerge-on-mlbs-assault-on-hometown-baseball/

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 1

My opinion as I researched this at the Hornets tix chart:

Section 208 Row I or J starting from seat 22. Section 209 Row I or J starting from seat 1. These are upstairs and good sight lines. There is a concourse access in front of you so no one can block your view or stand as the seats look over the entry below you.

Also Section 205 I or J 22 and continuing and Section 206 I or J seats 1 and continuing. In the angle for a view, so no tennis head turning. All the action is in front of you all the time. Same advantages as the sections above.

This is for Golden State, same layout for seating as any game. Choose your game and go from there.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/charlotte-hornets-vs-golden-state-warriors-charlotte-north-carolina-12-04-2019/event/2D00570ED9536C66?irgwc=1&clickid=QPL21GXNExyJUYAwUx0Mo3YUUkn3UJVeN1eeU40&camefrom=CFC_BUYAT_258437&impradid=258437&REFERRAL_ID=tmfeedbuyat258437&wt.mc_id=aff_BUYAT_258437&utm_source=258437-Stanza.co&impradname=Stanza.co&utm_medium=affiliate

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

As I am watching the Chiefs Super Bowl parade I can't help but think what would a Championship parade route look like in Charlotte? Panthers, Hornets, MLS... anyone have any idea? 

In Feb 2016, they announced the date/time/route of the Panthers Super Bowl Victory Parade the week before the actual game.  Tuesday, 11:30am, starting from the Bank of America Stadium players lot, east on Morehead, then north on Tryon to 9th Street.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kermit said:

Wow, what a massive win for BofA and Charlotte.  That's the kind of game that would always go to Atlanta or New Orleans in the past.  This game is going to be a sell out and will have the CFB spotlight for sure.

Also Go Tigers!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Darn, my ECU Pirates were supposed to play Appalachian State there that day.

Big FU to all parties involved in this travesty (but I'm a realist I understand the implications of having Georgia- Clemson in town or ECU-App State).

It appears that the ECU-App State game could be moved to Thursday Sept. 2nd.    The Georgia-Clemson game will be on Saturday Sept. 4th. 

It could a huge weekend for college football in Charlotte!  It would also leave dates open for future announcements.  

The current future schedule is

2020:  Wake Forest vs.  Notre Dame

2021:  App State vs ECU and Georgia vs Clemson

2022:  None

2023:  North Carolina vs South Carolina

Edited by CltFlyer

It will be interesting to see how MLS lays out the schedule at BoA.  Don't forget September 2021 will be in the last month of the team's first year.  Two college games and impending Panthers season is a lot of wear on the natural grass.

I wonder if our seasons will be front loaded in March-August home matches with fewer at home once football starts.   The only comparison in the league (shared stadium, natural grass) is the New England Revolution.  From August 1 on they play 3 home matches out of the last 10.  Guessing we'll see something similar

Edit: Can't recall if Soldier Field is now turf or not but the Chicago Fire moved back in town this season and that same stretch they are split even, 5 home and 5 away

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 8:05 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

It will be interesting to see how MLS lays out the schedule at BoA.  Don't forget September 2021 will be in the last month of the team's first year.  Two college games and impending Panthers season is a lot of wear on the natural grass.

I wonder if our seasons will be front loaded in March-August home matches with fewer at home once football starts.   The only comparison in the league (shared stadium, natural grass) is the New England Revolution.  From August 1 on they play 3 home matches out of the last 10.  Guessing we'll see something similar

Edit: Can't recall if Soldier Field is now turf or not but the Chicago Fire moved back in town this season and that same stretch they are split even, 5 home and 5 away

Update from DC on their field shape.  Just something interesting to keep in mind.  Great that BoA will be used so much but the field better be ready for it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...