Sports in Charlotte

14 hours ago, RugbyPike#11 said:

I would settle for the Hurricanes playing an outdoor game once a year at BoA and a couple home games at Time Warner.  I don't know how feasible an outdoor game would be in Charlotte when you can have the random 70 degree day in winter, but it would be nice to get some use out of BoA after the football season is over.

Now that the Hurricanes are no longer affiliated with the Checkers the odds of the ever happening are now less than zero.

The Hurricanes are scheduled to play a game at Carter Finley Stadium next season so if you feel like making a drive then you can enjoy that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

What does everyone think of the Hornets this season? First season I have been excited for them in a while. Ball looks good as a PG, but his shooting needs work. I think he can be special though. 

I have 2 seasons with my grandson. We've watched both games so far and his 7yr old scout is - wow they look great!

Way too early to draw many conclusions so don't point me back to this post in 3 months! ;-)

Ball is going to totally change this team. It was so obvious during the 2 exhibition games that when he's in there the ball keeps moving and guys are open. In the past there has been WAY too much standing around. The offense looked like a mid-major college team's.  Surprisingly, to me anyway,  his defense looks good enough to keep him in the game which is always a rookie concern. Rebounding appears to be a plus skill as well.

I'm also very excited by the improvement I see in PJ. He's looked like an upper tier player so far. I think Carney may be a very pleasant surprise as well. Despite his being from Puke. Lol.

Monk is Monk, I cringe. He needs a venue change.

Need to hear the word Miller less.

Also Bridges hasn't improved as much as I expected.

Edited by elrodvt

57 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I have 2 seasons with my grandson. We've watched both games so far and his 7yr old scout is - wow they look great!

Way too early to draw many conclusions so don't point me back to this post in 3 months! ;-)

Ball is going to totally change this team. It was so obvious during the 2 exhibition games that when he's in there the ball keeps moving and guys are open. In the past there has been WAY too much standing around. The offense looked like a mid-major college team's.  Surprisingly, to me anyway,  his defense looks good enough to keep him in the game which is always a rookie concern. Rebounding appears to be a plus skill as well.

I'm also very excited by the improvement I see in PJ. He's looked like an upper tier player so far. I think Carney may be a very pleasant surprise as well. Despite his being from Puke. Lol.

Monk is Monk, I cringe. He needs a venue change.

Need to hear the word Miller less.

Also Bridges hasn't improved as much as I expected.

Hayward broke his pinkie... :tw_frown:

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it is completely unexpected, given the uncertainty of  the current environment, but the Charlotte  Checkers (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers) have decided to opt out of the 2020/2021 season  based on "safety and logistical concerns related to the COVID-19 panemnic. 

Here' s the link from the Observer. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nhl/charlotte-checkers/article248269275.html

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Any baseball fans out there?  This Charlotte team is legit this year.  Ranked 15th in the country (which is a program best) and is rolling right now).  Go catch a game, they are fun to watch.  

baseball.png.78b754b121f6bd5cdf977750e476ca7f.png

Thanks for the tip. I like college ball. Although I really wish they would go wood.

• 2 weeks later...

Rory McIIroy won his 3rd Wells Fargo Championship this past weekend in Charlotte. He posted this on FB and Twitter after winning yesterday. Free press is sometimes the best press: "Fell in love with Quail Hollow the first time I played it and knew it was special. From my first win in 2010 to today, each year the fans, staff, city of Charlotte make the week an unforgettable experience. The fans carried me through today. Thank you for the continued support."

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/1391582713459662848?s=20

EDIT: Not sure why the tweet wasn't showing up, so just copied the text. 

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I suspect un UNC Charlotte continues to have a winning program they will switch into a bigger division. Give it 5 years.

They're already in the highest division of college sports. They're not considered P6, but still they're in the highest division. Maybe you mean a bigger conference? If so, they need to expand their stadium sooner rather than later. To me, the only flaw in UNC Charlotte athletics is the relatively small football stadium.

Full disclosure, I am an ECU Pirate and will fight anyone who disparages my beloved Pirates in any way, but my daughter will be going to UNC Charlotte so there is a tiny bit of space in my purple heart for the 49ers. :)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

They're already in the highest division of college sports. They're not considered P6, but still they're in the highest division. Maybe you mean a bigger conference? If so, they need to expand their stadium sooner rather than later. To me, the only flaw in UNC Charlotte athletics is the relatively small football stadium.

Full disclosure, I am an ECU Pirate and will fight anyone who disparages my beloved Pirates in any way, but my daughter will be going to UNC Charlotte so there is a tiny bit of space in my purple heart for the 49ers. :)

Conference, yes, I am tired. Worked til 1am on a project, and back up at 7 to finish it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

They have been putting together an Athletics Master Plan/fundraising for the last couple of years or so...prior to Covid, it was going to be released last year but got delayed.  Going to be a massive plan to upgrade most facilities, including stadium expansion.  Question now is, did Covid disrupt their initial plan on capacity?  I'm going to guess it's in the 30k range give or take 5k.  Conference realignment would be ideal too, not a big fan of C-USA.  Gotta do well in our revenue sports (bball & football).  Best thing Charlotte can do to get in a better conference is win baby!

ECU's stadium is big though!  Never been but have seen pics.  Didnt yall just complete an expansion/renovation recently?  That press tower is impressive!

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

They have been putting together an Athletics Master Plan/fundraising for the last couple of years or so...prior to Covid, it was going to be released last year but got delayed.  Going to be a massive plan to upgrade most facilities, including stadium expansion.  Question now is, did Covid disrupt their initial plan on capacity?  I'm going to guess it's in the 30k range give or take 5k.  Conference realignment would be ideal too, not a big fan of C-USA.  Gotta do well in our revenue sports (bball & football).  Best thing Charlotte can do to get in a better conference is win baby!

ECU's stadium is big though!  Never been but have seen pics.  Didnt yall just complete an expansion/renovation recently?  That press tower is impressive!

Charlotte's FB stadium needs to be at least 30,000 (which is 2x the current capacity) IMHO. No reason it shouldn't be, most C-USA schools hover around 30,000. With the # of students and the population of the Charlotte metro I would think 30,000 would be easy. 

As far as Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium at ECU, the pressbox was completed a couple of seasons ago. It was sorely needed considering prior to that we had a sh**ty one. Capacity is 50,000 and when (if) the product on the field improves it will sell-out again. It's been a rough few years.

Charlotte has a good soccer program and (this year at least) baseball. Basketball has had history/success. Football is still new and building a culture. It's hard to build that culture considering proximity to Clemson and S Carolina, not to mention the fans of UNC, NC State, Duke, etc. I think Charlotte is one of the few current C-USA schools with a lot to sell to a "better" conference. All the facilities I have seen are impressive. And, honestly some are better than ECU's (i'm looking at you basketball arena).

I also understand CLT has a world-class tennis facility. Anyone?

As a basketball fan it was a sad day when Charlotte went from a mid major conference (a-10) to the crappy c-usa which is one of the worse bball conferences. All in order to add a mediocre football program. I'm willing to bet the football program will languish in the lower ranks for a long time. Sure wish there had been a better oppy. that kept them in a decent bball conference.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 1

Congratulations to the UNC-Charlotte baseball team. They qualified for the NCAA baseball tournament and will be traveling to the Greenville (NC) Regional hosted by East Carolina. Also in the regional are the University of Maryland and Norfolk State University. 

East Carolina swept Charlotte in a 3 game series earlier in the season played in Greenville.

I have already begun talking smack to my daughter as I am a Pirate and she will be a 49er in the fall.

Whoever escapes the regional will go to the Super Regional hosted by Vanderbilt (reigning NCAA champion). Not a great draw but hopefully the Pirates or 49ers can make the run to Omaha.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:24 AM, elrodvt said:

As a basketball fan it was a sad day when Charlotte went from a mid major conference (a-10) to the crappy c-usa which is one of the worse bball conferences. All in order to add a mediocre football program. I'm willing to bet the football program will languish in the lower ranks for a long time. Sure wish there had been a better oppy. that kept them in a decent bball conference.

This is slightly incorrect history. Charlotte was part of the much stronger CUSA up until they basically had to leave because they did not play football. This CUSA was home to Louisville, Cincinnati, Houston, Marquette, and Memphis all in one league. Charlotte was regularly competitive in basketball in this conference. When they had to leave (somewhat thanks to the ACC raiding the Big East in the 2000s), they went to what was the best league for non-football, the A10. But the A10 was harder on the school due to the school being in the South while much of the conference was in the Northeast, and smaller schools. It wasn't until after Charlotte left the A10 for the CUSA for all sports that the A10 gained more prominence in basketball. 

2 hours ago, Rufus said:

This is slightly incorrect history. Charlotte was part of the much stronger CUSA up until they basically had to leave because they did not play football. This CUSA was home to Louisville, Cincinnati, Houston, Marquette, and Memphis all in one league. Charlotte was regularly competitive in basketball in this conference. When they had to leave (somewhat thanks to the ACC raiding the Big East in the 2000s), they went to what was the best league for non-football, the A10. But the A10 was harder on the school due to the school being in the South while much of the conference was in the Northeast, and smaller schools. It wasn't until after Charlotte left the A10 for the CUSA for all sports that the A10 gained more prominence in basketball. 

I'm not sure what your last sentence means? If you're saying the A-10 was not a good basketball conference at the time that's not how I remember it - would have to research that one if that's what you meant.

Regardless, the current history is the A-10 has lower level football,  CLT wanted football at a higher level, and moved to a crap bball conference to get it. I understand the football draw down here but wish they had waited for an opportunity that didn't decimate a fairly successful program. Ya' never know though - with all the changes afoot, with the debate about paying athletes and such, we might end up in a better situation if the new AD is savvy enough. 

16 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I'm not sure what your last sentence means? If you're saying the A-10 was not a good basketball conference at the time that's not how I remember it - would have to research that one if that's what you meant.

Sorry...you are correct. The A10 was a fairly good mid-major conference in bball even before Charlotte. 

Football has done a number of crazy things that I am still hoping will work out in Charlotte's favor. We are about to hit 8 years with football, and I assume the 10 year mark is going to be scrutinized heavily. 

• Like 1

Long story short, football should have been started a long time ago.  Former AD, Judy Rose, was warned that if we didn't start football back then we'd be left behind in conference realignment back in CUSA 1.0 days with the above mentioned teams (Louisville, Cincinnati, Houston, Marquette, and Memphis etc).  While other teams moved on to greener pastures like the Big East, ACC, AAC, Big 12...we got left in the dust.  Not having football is ultimately how we landed in A10.   The A10 was not and is still not a division 1 FBS level football conference.  CUSA 2.0 was the level of football we wanted to be at and they invited us back to the conference for all sports (even before a single snap in football).  It was the best conference at the time to startup a football program but we need to win  and we need to win soon if we want to catch the next conference realignment.  As Ive said before, not a fan of Cusa, but you gotta win with the cards you're dealt if you want to move up.  Football needs to bowl this season and basketball, well, that's a different story lol.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz