Sports in Charlotte

I've been to an Independence Soccer game at the New Memorial Stadium last Saturday Night and it was awesome.  I do hope attendance continues to grow and this region supports both local teams in the coming years.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, elrodvt said:

Nice. I know it costs a lot more but I still think all stadiums in the south should have sun cover.

I couldn't agree more!

Good luck to the Charlotte 49ers this weekend. Football game against Big Ten foe Illinois. Would be a good win for Charlotte. Two wins against so-called "P5" programs would be huge (even if both Duke and Illinois are terrible. Illinois has already lost to UTSA (Texas-San Antonio) this year. Could they loose to two Conference USA teams? I hope so. Go Niners!

• Like 1

Open question about Sports in Charlotte & NC as a whole.  It seems like Charlotte dominates in hosting Professional Sports (Major & Minor) throughout the State but does anyone believe that having Raleigh (or another) node of Professional Sports being located within the State would be a good thing?  Does Charlotte's location hurt\prevent other North Carolinians from coming here for games?  Wisconsin has Milwaukee & Green Bay as two Centers of Gravity for Professional Sports within the State.

Asking because if there ever was any future MLB relocation\expansion chances for North Carolina as a market then what would be the best location within the State?  Also - what the heck happened to the Major League Lacrosse team?  Last I heard they shut down but has that changed now that the Memorial Stadium Renovation\Reconstruction has been completed?

50 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Also - what the heck happened to the Major League Lacrosse team?  Last I heard they shut down but has that changed now that the Memorial Stadium Renovation\Reconstruction has been completed?

The official statement of the Charlotte Hounds lacrosse team was that they would return this year after memorial stadium was reopened. I haven't seen any updates on their progress. 

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Also - what the heck happened to the Major League Lacrosse team?  Last I heard they shut down but has that changed now that the Memorial Stadium Renovation\Reconstruction has been completed?

Before this season started, the Hound’s former league (the MLL) “merged” with the competing Premier Lacrosse League (PLL). The PLL has the idiotic structure of not having teams in cities, all the teams just “tour” various locations during the season (all the teams are in a  single city for a week and play each other) . The league is finishing up their season now, and they have not released any plans related to 2022.  I would not bet on the league returning and  I doubt there will be professional lacrosse of any kind in 2022. (And I doubt the Hounds will ever be resurrected -- I enjoyed the games while they lasted) 

Edited by kermit

4 hours ago, kermit said:

The Hound’s league (the MLL) “merged” with the competing Premier Lacrosse League (PLL). The PLL has the idiotic structure of not having teams in cities, all the teams just “tour” various locations during the season (all the teams are in a  single city for a week and play each other) . The league is finishing up their season now, and they have not released any plans related to 2022.  I would not bet on the league returning. I doubt there will be professional lacrosse of any kind in 2022. (And I doubt the Hounds will ever be resurrected) 

Dang...:tw_anguished:

It sounds like the AAC's raid on the Mountain West (Boise State, SDSU, Colorado State, Air Force) has been unsuccessful. The MWC commissioner even said that the MWC may look to expand, and the most likely targets for that may be some of the Conference USA Texas teams.

So it sounds like the AAC now must turn to Conference USA for 3-4 more teams. Hopefully the 49ers are on that list, since it sounds like the remainder of Conference USA may get end up getting parted out if the MWC looks to expand.

https://theathletic.com/2862252/2021/10/01/the-mountain-west-conference-will-remain-as-is-for-now-league-commissioner-on-proactive-moves-scheduling-and-more/

Well this is interesting Major League Baseball is requiring Minor League teams to provide housing for their players.  This affects Charlotte Knights, Kannapolis CannonBallers, Hickory Crawdads just in our area.  

Major League Baseball to require teams to provide housing for minor league players starting in 2022, sources say (espn.com)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Well this is interesting Major League Baseball is requiring Minor League teams to provide housing for their players.  This affects Charlotte Knights, Kannapolis CannonBallers, Hickory Crawdads just in our area.  

Major League Baseball to require teams to provide housing for minor league players starting in 2022, sources say (espn.com)

That's great news.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Actually, Major League teams will be paying for the housing of the Minor League players in their organizations. The Minor League teams typically don't have the financial resources to do that. 

• Like 3

Sounds like the 49ers will be one of six CUSA teams to join the AAC:

Thamel reported that The American is expecting to receive applications from FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week. All are members of C-USA. If the applications are accepted, and it appears they will be, the AAC could look like this for football (at least):

EAST: South Florida, East Carolina, Navy (football only), Temple, Charlotte, UAB and FAU

WEST: Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, North Texas, Rice and UTSA

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/5a741f2a-8da0-38e6-a2d1-35cca2aa99bb/report-six-c-usa-schools.html

• Like 3

Besides Charlotte, smallest football stadium of the new teams is FAU at just under 30,000.  Have to think stadium expansion is imminent with their application getting approved.

Interesting strategy for the AAC to stay an all metro league with each university in or around a metro area.  You have to think that helps bridge the gap geographically versus say a strong football program like App State who isn't as close to a major airport.  Football is one thing but flying out all other sports especially for midweek matchups would be challenging logistically given the AAC footprint.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

I don't have a dog in the Charlotte university fight (I kind of do, but Winthrop doesn't factor into this discussion without a football program), but it seems like a great move for football.  ECU is a good in-state rival.  Hopefully they can also set up some kind of consistent non-conference matchup with App State.  Maybe the Charlotte/UTSA matchup will be fun in the USAA offices.  The Charlotte metro has some pretty solid high school football talent, and with the right coach, Charlotte can become competitive by feasting on the 3 stars that can't quite make it into the power 5 (or is it 4 now?).  If they're not too stingy with the transfer credits, they can also pull in some talented players from the transfer portal.  It's not the same as what it was in the pre-realignment Big East, but being competitive in the AAC could really help to elevate the university's national brand.

It's not wildly exciting for basketball unless they can challenge Memphis for conference championships.  I can't speak at all to the impact to non-revenue sports.

11 hours ago, kermit said:

Sounds like the 49ers will be one of six CUSA teams to join the AAC:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/5a741f2a-8da0-38e6-a2d1-35cca2aa99bb/report-six-c-usa-schools.html

There is no way NAVY will play football in the eastern division. Either Memphis or Tulane would be in the eastern division.

Welcome 49ers? We'll see.

39 minutes ago, RugbyPike#11 said:

I don't have a dog in the Charlotte university fight (I kind of do, but Winthrop doesn't factor into this discussion without a football program), but it seems like a great move for football.  ECU is a good in-state rival.  Hopefully they can also set up some kind of consistent non-conference matchup with App State.  Maybe the Charlotte/UTSA matchup will be fun in the USAA offices.  The Charlotte metro has some pretty solid high school football talent, and with the right coach, Charlotte can become competitive by feasting on the 3 stars that can't quite make it into the power 5 (or is it 4 now?).  If they're not too stingy with the transfer credits, they can also pull in some talented players from the transfer portal.  It's not the same as what it was in the pre-realignment Big East, but being competitive in the AAC could really help to elevate the university's national brand.

It's not wildly exciting for basketball unless they can challenge Memphis for conference championships.  I can't speak at all to the impact to non-revenue sports.

If Memphis, SMU and Wichita State stay in the AAC, that is far superior basketball than C-USA. Obviously losing Cincinnati and Houston (Final 4 this year) hurt, but there is a good core of basketball programs if they stay.

37 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

If Memphis, SMU and Wichita State stay in the AAC, that is far superior basketball than C-USA. Obviously losing Cincinnati and Houston (Final 4 this year) hurt, but there is a good core of basketball programs if they stay.

Don't think those 3 are still there within 5 years. If I am any of their ADs I would be pretty disappointed in what the AAC has become.

I think the AAC may have made a misstep here and is going down the path of CUSA choosing media markets vs. winning schools (at any sport, not just football).  Will be interesting to see how it shakes out in the end but I don't see a ton of interest in whats left at least from a football perspective.

26 minutes ago, a2theb said:

Don't think those 3 are still there within 5 years. If I am any of their ADs I would be pretty disappointed in what the AAC has become.

I think the AAC may have made a misstep here and is going down the path of CUSA choosing media markets vs. winning schools (at any sport, not just football).  Will be interesting to see how it shakes out in the end but I don't see a ton of interest in whats left at least from a football perspective.

Totally agree, they're turning into a conference of mid-level schools. Bet on Memphis, SMU, and Wichita State to leave.

58 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Totally agree, they're turning into a conference of mid-level schools. Bet on Memphis, SMU, and Wichita State to leave.

I was going to ask where they would go, but then I realized that if ACC football continues its descent into comic ineptness (Dabo to LSU?) then we will certainly see more shakeups.

(This should be half-blue text)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kermit said:

I was going to ask where they would go, but then I realized that if ACC football continues its descent into comic ineptness (Dabo to LSU?) then we will certainly see more shakeups.

(This should be half-blue text)

Since those are basketball schools more than football schools I'd guess they leave for a decent basketball conference that isn't huge into football. 

3 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

I didn't realize Wichita State moved out of the Missouri Valley Conference... *checks notes* four years ago.  That makes it slightly more exciting for basketball, though I'm not totally convinced they'll maintain the success they had after Gregg Marshall's scandal and departure.  Agree that it's a step up  from CUSA regardless.  Either way, winning games is what makes for a fun program, and I don't remember Charlotte being any good since the Melvin Watkins and Bobby Lutz run.