• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Charlotte to host the 2020 ACC Baseball tournament at BB&T Ballpark: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article230982603.html

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23039767/acc-charlotte-agree-10-year-extension-keep-league-football-championship-game-queen-city And no dome was necessary...

Quail Hollow will host the PGA Championship again in 2025.  https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article242707761.html https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/ne

Posted Images

I've been to an Independence Soccer game at the New Memorial Stadium last Saturday Night and it was awesome.  I do hope attendance continues to grow and this region supports both local teams in the coming years.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, elrodvt said:

Nice. I know it costs a lot more but I still think all stadiums in the south should have sun cover.

I couldn't agree more!

Good luck to the Charlotte 49ers this weekend. Football game against Big Ten foe Illinois. Would be a good win for Charlotte. Two wins against so-called "P5" programs would be huge (even if both Duke and Illinois are terrible. Illinois has already lost to UTSA (Texas-San Antonio) this year. Could they loose to two Conference USA teams? I hope so. Go Niners!

• Like 1

Open question about Sports in Charlotte & NC as a whole.  It seems like Charlotte dominates in hosting Professional Sports (Major & Minor) throughout the State but does anyone believe that having Raleigh (or another) node of Professional Sports being located within the State would be a good thing?  Does Charlotte's location hurt\prevent other North Carolinians from coming here for games?  Wisconsin has Milwaukee & Green Bay as two Centers of Gravity for Professional Sports within the State.

Asking because if there ever was any future MLB relocation\expansion chances for North Carolina as a market then what would be the best location within the State?  Also - what the heck happened to the Major League Lacrosse team?  Last I heard they shut down but has that changed now that the Memorial Stadium Renovation\Reconstruction has been completed?

50 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Also - what the heck happened to the Major League Lacrosse team?  Last I heard they shut down but has that changed now that the Memorial Stadium Renovation\Reconstruction has been completed?

The official statement of the Charlotte Hounds lacrosse team was that they would return this year after memorial stadium was reopened. I haven't seen any updates on their progress. 

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Also - what the heck happened to the Major League Lacrosse team?  Last I heard they shut down but has that changed now that the Memorial Stadium Renovation\Reconstruction has been completed?

Before this season started, the Hound’s former league (the MLL) “merged” with the competing Premier Lacrosse League (PLL). The PLL has the idiotic structure of not having teams in cities, all the teams just “tour” various locations during the season (all the teams are in a  single city for a week and play each other) . The league is finishing up their season now, and they have not released any plans related to 2022.  I would not bet on the league returning and  I doubt there will be professional lacrosse of any kind in 2022. (And I doubt the Hounds will ever be resurrected -- I enjoyed the games while they lasted) 

Edited by kermit

4 hours ago, kermit said:

The Hound’s league (the MLL) “merged” with the competing Premier Lacrosse League (PLL). The PLL has the idiotic structure of not having teams in cities, all the teams just “tour” various locations during the season (all the teams are in a  single city for a week and play each other) . The league is finishing up their season now, and they have not released any plans related to 2022.  I would not bet on the league returning. I doubt there will be professional lacrosse of any kind in 2022. (And I doubt the Hounds will ever be resurrected) 

Dang...:tw_anguished:

It sounds like the AAC's raid on the Mountain West (Boise State, SDSU, Colorado State, Air Force) has been unsuccessful. The MWC commissioner even said that the MWC may look to expand, and the most likely targets for that may be some of the Conference USA Texas teams.

So it sounds like the AAC now must turn to Conference USA for 3-4 more teams. Hopefully the 49ers are on that list, since it sounds like the remainder of Conference USA may get end up getting parted out if the MWC looks to expand.

https://theathletic.com/2862252/2021/10/01/the-mountain-west-conference-will-remain-as-is-for-now-league-commissioner-on-proactive-moves-scheduling-and-more/