Sports in Charlotte

1 hour ago, RugbyPike#11 said:

I didn't realize Wichita State moved out of the Missouri Valley Conference... *checks notes* four years ago.  That makes it slightly more exciting for basketball, though I'm not totally convinced they'll maintain the success they had after Gregg Marshall's scandal and departure.  Agree that it's a step up  from CUSA regardless.  Either way, winning games is what makes for a fun program, and I don't remember Charlotte being any good since the Melvin Watkins and Bobby Lutz run.

Wichita State is fine. Their recruiting is still very good with the new coach. Being in the AAC has not hurt them. 

I'm hearing the AAC may be pursuing VCU and/or Dayton or Saint Louis to help on the basketball front. If they add VCU or Dayton that would be very good. I have to imagine the pay out for VCU and Dayton would be considerably more than the A-10. Don't know if they would jump but the AAC has been a good league for most who have been in it.

11 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Besides Charlotte, smallest football stadium of the new teams is FAU at just under 30,000.  Have to think stadium expansion is imminent with their application getting approved.

Master facility plan was no doubt shown to AAC officials. Without a plan to expand, there would be no invite. I expect the stadium expansion announcement very very soon. I’m thinking whenever AAC makes the invitation/acceptance official. Wouldn’t surprise me if we hear something within a week or two. 

I’m expecting in the ball park of 30-35k with lots of premium options. Suites, club seating etc. hope there’s some shiny new rendering to show off too. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Master facility plan was no doubt shown to AAC officials. Without a plan to expand, there would be no invite. I expect the stadium expansion announcement very very soon. I’m thinking whenever AAC makes the invitation/acceptance official. Wouldn’t surprise me if we hear something within a week or two. 

I’m expecting in the ball park of 30-35k with lots of premium options. Suites, club seating etc. hope there’s some shiny new rendering to show off too. 

I think 40,000 should be Charlotte's goal. I believe UAB's new stadium is about 47,000. Tulane has a small (but new) stadium at 30,000 but they were severely hemmed-in by the city around them. Tulsa has a small stadium but they have an enrollment of less than 4,000.

Memphis: 62,380 (no pro team)

Temple: 68,532 (Eagles stadium)

NAVY: 34,000

ECU: 50,000

USF: 65,857 (Buccaneers stadium)

SMU: 32,000

UTSA: 65,000 (no pro team)

40,000 would be bigger than Navy, Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, FAU and N Texas.

Charlotte needs an IPF (as does ECU).

I have no doubt Charlotte's facility will be great. I have been very impressed with their campus and athletic facilities. I hope the AAC invite is officially announced soon.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

I think 40,000 should be Charlotte's goal. I believe UAB's new stadium is about 47,000. Tulane has a small (but new) stadium at 30,000 but they were severely hemmed-in by the city around them. Tulsa has a small stadium but they have an enrollment of less than 4,000.

Memphis: 62,380 (no pro team)

Temple: 68,532 (Eagles stadium)

NAVY: 34,000

ECU: 50,000

USF: 65,857 (Buccaneers stadium)

SMU: 32,000

UTSA: 65,000 (no pro team)

40,000 would be bigger than Navy, Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, FAU and N Texas.

Charlotte needs an IPF (as does ECU).

I have no doubt Charlotte's facility will be great. I have been very impressed with their campus and athletic facilities. I hope the AAC invite is officially announced soon.

You’ll get to see Charlotte vs ECU games a lot more now in the future lol. But yeah, IPF is def in the plans. Official announcement is coming very soon. My guess is by end of week. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:13 PM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I openly wonder how Charlotte would pay for something like this?  Also too, does the existing lower bowl prevent upgrades closer to the action or will everything new need to go up higher.  Anyway - Worried about Tuition rising....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

642D6285-BB9B-4A31-997B-08B6CF3C6B81.jpeg.f28952d7efb8355579b5101eb74c3134.jpeg

Welcome to the American Athletic Conference (AAC) Charlotte. I want everyone who supports Charlotte athletics to begin using this term when referring to the AAC, "P6". The American is the 6th power conference, no ifs-ands-or-buts about it. Use that term (P6) in conversation. The American has elevated many school's athletic profiles. If Charlotte does what it needs to do and honors being in the AAC it could go further (ask Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, UCF and Houston).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Two things: 

1. I really wonder where MTSU is going to go. I was surprised at no AAC. There Basketball program is pretty good. 

2. Can Charlotte combine forces with Tepper and build a downtown stadium? Might be too hard for students, but with the Blue line and other easy commute options, why not. 

1. There is some talk of MTSU and W Kentucky going MAC.

2. No. College ball is better in on-campus stadiums. Charlotte has the space to expand and they should.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

2. Can Charlotte combine forces with Tepper and build a downtown stadium? Might be too hard for students, but with the Blue line and other easy commute options, why not. 

Nope, administration wants to increase activity on campus badly, particularly on weekends. They feel like it will both attract additional students and increase alumni engagement. That is harder to do when off campus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #1Son said:

Deshaun, needs a fresh start and it doesn't appear that he will face criminal charges.  Why not  give him a second chance a possibly improve the team :) 

Because he is credibly accused of sexual assault and/or inpropriety  by many women.  I'm all for second chances but if the Panthers trade for Watson (who I admired pre-2021) I will cease to be a fan.  

19 hours ago, csweet said:

Is now a bad time to ask how everyone feels about Deshaun possibly joining? Lol

AbsoLUTEly not. He has over 20 accusations and lawsuits of sexual assault. Just from a strategic point I think it's dumb to trade for a guy who might end up in prison or at least convicted of assault, let alone all the disgusting immorality of making a guy like that the centerpiece of your franchise.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

AbsoLUTEly not. He has over 20 accusations and lawsuits of sexual assault. Just from a strategic point I think it's dumb to trade for a guy who might end up in prison or at least convicted of assault, let alone all the disgusting immorality of making a guy like that the centerpiece of your franchise.

Would you feel differently if he reaches a settlement or something?  I'm starting to think that all of the talk about him being traded right now may indicate that he is going to quietly settle with these women to avoid the messy legal process that would surely unfold.

I'm torn on it.  Don't forget that Ben Roethlisberger is still starting on an NFL team and Kobe Bryant has been deified in NBA circles.  Not saying that makes it right, but there is precedent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CTiger said:

Would you feel differently if he reaches a settlement or something?  I'm starting to think that all of the talk about him being traded right now may indicate that he is going to quietly settle with these women to avoid the messy legal process that would surely unfold.

I'm torn on it.  Don't forget that Ben Roethlisberger is still starting on an NFL team and Kobe Bryant has been deified in NBA circles.  Not saying that makes it right, but there is precedent.

I wouldn't feel different if he settled. Roethlisberger and Bryant both committed awful acts and should have been punished far more than they were, but Watson has a pattern of this kind of thing. It seems like he is a serial assaulter, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near Charlotte, let alone the Panthers as an organization.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I wouldn't feel different if he settled. Roethlisberger and Bryant both committed awful acts and should have been punished far more than they were, but Watson has a pattern of this kind of thing. It seems like he is a serial assaulter, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near Charlotte, let alone the Panthers as an organization.

Roethlisberger is an awful man and I could never have supported a team he played for.  Kobe's case is more complicated. He was unfaithful to his wife but then seemed to be a great husband and father. I'm not saying he was innocent but I believe I wouldn't have voted to convict if I was on the jury for his rape trial. He wasn't proven guilty and the accuser was not particularly credible.

Edited by JBS

The ACC has been reevaluating their HQ location, and they started by evaluating the possibility of remaining in Greensboro. While this does not quite say that they have decided to leave Greensboro they have 'officially' begun to look at other cities. The bulleted site requirements certainly look to be tailored to Charlotte ("large hub airport" and "anticipated benefit to overall ACC brand") and seem to say that they will be happy to move here for an appropriately sized  incentives check (last bullet). Don't count chickens, yada, yada,  but this feels like a done deal to me. Only risk I see for Charlotte at this point is the state refusing to chip in on incentives since it would be an intra-state move.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4