Sports in Charlotte

48 minutes ago, kermit said:

Since we entered college sports semi-annual bizzaroworld yesterday its not entirely impossible that UNC Charlotte will become an ACC member (in an embarrassingly diminished league) before the conference office moves.

Yesterday was also a big blow to the bowl system. Duke’s mayo may have already seen its best days.

Yeah - college sports is accelerating quickly into the realm of the absurd. The stupid amounts of TV money are the only thing propping up a ridiculously unsustainable model. If the money spigot ever turns off, the implosion will be swift and complete. And that doesn't even account for the corrupt and incompetent governance of the NCAA. 

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Since we entered college sports semi-annual bizzaroworld yesterday its not entirely impossible that UNC Charlotte will become an ACC member (in an embarrassingly diminished league) before the conference office moves.

Yesterday was also a big blow to the bowl system. Duke’s mayo may have already seen its best days.

What happened yesterday?

Charlotte joins AAC 7/22/23 if I remember the presser accurately. This is a nice first step out of basketball purgatory.

That'd be awesome if we get a rugby world cup match! It's my favorite sport after NCAA basketball and MLB. If you've never watched it give it a try (sic) on tv. I prefer NRL out of Australia as it has far fewer scrums. World cup is rugby union which is much more popular though. Constant action. No commercials other than pre-game or halftime! IMHO, So much better than NFL where there is maybe 1 minute or action for every 10 or so. 

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So This makes the Big Ten and SEC two ‘Super Conferences’?

Yup. PAC12 virtually certain to disappear and the ACC has eight (or so) teams that are the most attractive candidates to flesh out the remainder of the two super leagues. Depending on how long the ACC grant of media rights agreement holds out the ACC will either become a league of UNCC and ECU level teams or the existing set of teams become competitively irrelevant (for football at least) within the next five years.

College football died yesterday afternoon, its now NFL lite.

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

So This makes the Big Ten and SEC two ‘Super Conferences’?

Yes. I think I saw somewhere where E$PN is already using the term "P2". How (some of) the mighty have fallen in a day.

I expect the SEC to add Clemson and Florida State further diminishing the ACC. I also doubt the ACC holds on to Notre Dame (Big Ten). 

I would say the SEC is the football king unquestionably and even moreso if they add Clemson and Florida State. The Big Ten is not as good in football because they have more dead weight than the SEC. Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota come to mind. Only dead weight (football) in the SEC really is Vanderbilt, Missouri and Kentucky maybe South Carolina.

The ACC might be able to salvage some basketball prestige if they act quickly and add Kansas, UConn but those would be horrible football adds.

Interesting to see what happens next. All I know is, my team will be on the outside looking in so I'm not really worried about it.

2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Yes. I think I saw somewhere where E$PN is already using the term "P2". How (some of) the mighty have fallen in a day.

I expect the SEC to add Clemson and Florida State further diminishing the ACC. I also doubt the ACC holds on to Notre Dame (Big Ten). 

I would say the SEC is the football king unquestionably and even moreso if they add Clemson and Florida State. The Big Ten is not as good in football because they have more dead weight than the SEC. Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota come to mind. Only dead weight (football) in the SEC really is Vanderbilt, Missouri and Kentucky maybe South Carolina.

The ACC might be able to salvage some basketball prestige if they act quickly and add Kansas, UConn but those would be horrible football adds.

Interesting to see what happens next. All I know is, my team will be on the outside looking in so I'm not really worried about it.

Yeah I think that Clemson and FSU are locks for the SEC, potential for Miami as well. The BIG 10 really wanted UNC the last time they expanded (Maryland and Rutgers), I think now they will make an offer that the Tarheels can't refuse.

The fallout is going to be a mess, who knows where the schools that get left out of the Power 2 end up...

4 hours ago, eastsider said:

Yeah I think that Clemson and FSU are locks for the SEC, potential for Miami as well. The BIG 10 really wanted UNC the last time they expanded (Maryland and Rutgers), I think now they will make an offer that the Tarheels can't refuse.

The fallout is going to be a mess, who knows where the schools that get left out of the Power 2 end up...

Yeah, I've go to think CLemson and Florida State to SEC for sure and possibly 2 of Miami, VA Tech, NC State or Louisville. With VA Tech and NC State that gets the SEC into two new southern states (VA and NC).

I'm not sure what UNC adds to the B1G if were talking about football moves. Obviously basketball makes sense but I'm not sure this is about basketball if schools like Kansas, UConn and UNC haven't already been taken. I think its more likely Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon and Washington to the B1G to help out USC and UCLA.

Perhaps UNC could lead the charge to form a breakaway basketball-centric league. UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, UConn, Louisville,  Georgetown, Saint John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, VCU, Charlotte and Davidson.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Yeah, I've go to think CLemson and Florida State to SEC for sure and possibly 2 of Miami, VA Tech, NC State or Louisville. With VA Tech and NC State that gets the SEC into two new southern states (VA and NC).

I'm not sure what UNC adds to the B1G if were talking about football moves. Obviously basketball makes sense but I'm not sure this is about basketball if schools like Kansas, UConn and UNC haven't already been taken. I think its more likely Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon and Washington to the B1G to help out USC and UCLA.

Perhaps UNC could lead the charge to form a breakaway basketball-centric league. UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, UConn, Louisville,  Georgetown, Saint John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, VCU, Charlotte and Davidson.

UNC adds a brand name and a presence in the Carolina's, remember the Big 10 added Rutgers in their last expansion, they added nothing but a television market.

I could see Duke leading the way in that basketball-centric league, basically the Big East plus the former Big East schools in the ACC (Syracuse, Pitt, BC, V. Tech, Louisville) add in Duke, Georgia Tech, Virgina, Wake, Davidson and VCU. There would still be around 9-10 schools that could play out a football schedule.

My view of many years is that in regard to college sports every school should be free to enlist any athlete they  are able to attract without regard to the person being a student. If the athlete wishes to pursue classes, so much the better for him or her but no requirement of any kind shall exist in that area. In the so-called major sports the development league aspect of the athletes is retained while diminishing the drain on academic demands. Boosters and NIL may be used to attract, pay and retain these athletes. The income from the performances can provide institutional income and payment for resources such as facilities, and individual performance bonuses. The façade of student-athlete is eliminated. The honesty of competition is enhanced. The distinction of amateur and professional is reduced.  The idea of athletics as an adjunct of conventional student life has been a theatrical convention for decades. 

So-called minor sports may carry on as currently established for the time being.

I admit the dramatic change this would bring will have unintended consequences but they would be born of a more straightforward approach to the issues.

• Like 1

This is what The Athletic said about the ACC zoom meeting yesterday:

Is the ACC actually panicking?

The ACC had an AD meeting Friday morning via Zoom that was scheduled in response to Thursday’s realignment news. One AD described the tenor of the meeting as much better than anticipated, given the anxiety surrounding the conference (and several others) in light of the Big Ten’s growing power.

Commissioner Jim Phillips presented a strong, positive front, the AD said, as he reminded all of the strength and stability of the league relative to every other conference outside of the Big Ten and SEC, and as he stressed the stability that the league’s Grant of Rights provides.

No one on the call was naïve, and ADs brought up multiple potential avenues to explore in the imminent future, be that to expand themselves, to align themselves with the the Big 12 or Pac-12, or to stand pat, which seems like the least appealing current option during a period that calls for action.

Swarbrick was described as an active participant on the call, answering questions as they were asked to him. That probably means nothing in the grand scheme of the Irish’s relationship with the ACC, but it certainly contributed to a “business as usual” vibe for the conference. For now.

And about that grant of rights — it stretches to June 30, 2036. That agreement binds the schools’ media rights to the conference, and unless it can be broken, it would make the schools worthless to another conference. The Athletic examined conference grant of rights deals — including the ACC’s original deal agreed upon in 2013 — in an analysis of whether these allegedly irrevocable deals can be broken. Short answer: It would be pretty difficult.

But that doesn’t mean certain ACC schools aren’t examining their options. The league’s members are locked into a deal with ESPN that lasts 14 more years. That’s an awfully long time. Heck, 14 years ago, the Big East was still a football conference. Nebraska and Texas A&M were still in the Big 12. The league that just turned into the Pac-10 on Thursday was … the Pac-10. It’s a tough pill to swallow to realize that Rutgers may soon be receiving more than twice as much from its conference as Clemson or Miami receive from their conference. This becomes especially contentious because some schools seem much more invested in football success than others.

If the grant of rights remains ironclad, expect several ACC schools to push for uneven revenue sharing based upon on-field/court success. Administrators at several schools feel they shouldn’t have to foot the bill to carry the flag for the league while other schools collect the money and don’t try as hard to contribute to the conference’s success. — Matt Fortuna and Andy Staples

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 6-foot-1 Mayfield had five passes batted at the line of scrimmage and was off the mark on several other throws. He's had an NFL-high 11 passes batted down.

After a fourth deflection ended a fourth-quarter drive, Mayfield punched the air in frustration as boos erupted from the Bank of America Stadium crowd.

Somewhere in Cleveland there is a sigh of relief.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Man I was just thinking - has Charlotte ever hosted Wrestle Mania or something like that?  Isn’t the Spectrum Center large enough a venue to host that?  

They do WrestleManias at football stadiums these days. I think the normal weekly WWE shows come to Spectrum sometimes though.