Sports in Charlotte

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/12/2022 at 11:05 PM, kermit said:

I gotta think mediocre Clemson and Carolina teams in the ACC championship game will bring decent attendance, but perhaps a near worst case for  Friday night hotel bookings.

I entered the Charlotte Business Partners drawing for tickets to the game on a whim. I won, and I suspect quite a few others did as well. Also lots of tix for sale on Stubhub. I am guessing the marquee matchup for the ACC has turned pretty sour thanks to the Gamecocks and Wolfpack (and the Techsters) . 

Attendance looks pretty good (although there are tarps at the top of the upper deck in the end zones). The ABC establishing shot from 277 level through traffic was pretty awful, looked like Orlando. I guess they forgot to bring the drone tonight.

Despite being a Chapel Hill alum, I had no idea they had a football team there.... Hopefully they can find a way to beat the upstate school of tractor mechanics. 

[Go dawgs!]

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 11:05 PM, kermit said:

I gotta think mediocre Clemson and Carolina teams in the ACC championship game will bring decent attendance, but perhaps a near worst case for  Friday night hotel bookings.

Sad news from FC:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/football/anton-walkes-charlotte-fc-death-spt-intl/index.html

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Professional Lacrosse is sorta returning to Memorial Stadium.

The PLL is a touring league (sorta like the circus) that brings 8 travel teams to cities for a weekend series of games. They will be at Memorial Stadium June 9-11.

https://premierlacrosseleague.com/schedule

Glad to see more Lax in Memorial but this touring model leaves me cold. Not sure what I am supposed to root for.

• Like 1

this could be big if this US Soccer Federation moves their HQ from Chicago to Cary.  

""Triangle Business Journal, a CBJ sister publication,has confirmed that the U.S. Soccer Federation, currently based in Chicago, is considering Cary for the proposed new headquarters and training center. The potential development would take advantage of the existing facilities at WakeMed Soccer Park, located off East Chatham Street near Interstate 40.

Cary Town Manager Sean Stegall told Triangle Business Journal that the town pitched the potential move to U.S. Soccer last year in Chicago.

"Our position is, this is what we can offer and let us know if we are the preferred site and we can begin some sort of negotiation," he said about the discussions.

"They certainly have been interested in Cary, but they let us know they were looking at other places in the country as well," Stegall said, adding U.S. Soccer expects it to be a long process.""

You can certainly have soccer games year round in Cary vs Chicago that's for sure.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

Say we get a new domed stadium in the next 5-10 years. When would Charlotte be able to handle a Super Bowl? How short are we on hotels, infrastructure, etc? 

Metro Phoenix has 69,000 rooms Houston has 79,000 rooms metro Charlotte has about 30,000 rooms.  That is probably the reason we would not get one even with a domed stadium. Plus metro Phoenix has a lot of vacation rentals as it is 2nd home market too.  Miami has 51,000 rooms but then you have 1000s of short term Airbnbs plus all the hotel rooms in Broward and Palm Beach counties to the north.  Not saying it is not possible but unlikely.  What I would like to see immediately in the next few years is the NFL Draft party here.  

• Like 1

Perhaps the question is "Say we build 12,000-14,000 high-quality full service rooms, then when will we host a Super Bowl"?

This is from 2018 but the parameters are larger numbers by now.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/blog/sports-business/2014/04/super-bowl-bid-includes-a-long-list-of-hotel.html

22 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I'm not much of a football fan but agree. He really did a great job explaining strategy and mostly avoided the hype train. Is announcing a regular gig for him? 

Yep he and Kevin Burkhardt took over as the main Fox crew with the departure of the previous guys to ESPN to do Monday Night Football.  They'll remain the top crew (aka covering the biggest game each week) until the 2024 season when Tom Brady is set to step into the broadcasting booth.  Then I imagine Greg will slide to the 2nd lead analyst for Fox.  There was a recent article about his move to broadcasting in the Observer if interested

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/sports-legends/article271286352.html

• Like 1

21 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I'm not much of a football fan but agree. He really did a great job explaining strategy and mostly avoided the hype train. Is announcing a regular gig for him? 

It is now he did some games with Fox Sports this past year.  I am happy for him I thought he was concise as you said and explained it well.  and he is all around great guy glad he stayed in Charlotte.  

• Like 1

Meanwhile in Raleigh on ABC right now the Carolina Hurricanes play in Carter Finley Stadium in front of a crowd of 50,000!

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article272526764.html

many people outside of the Carolinas think this team plays in Charlotte I am always asked about that.    From Hurricanes Twitter tonight 

Wide shot of Carter-Finley Stadium at puck drop for tonight's game

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

^ Yea, Raleigh is really showing up for the Canes over the past few years. Its even more remarkable since its really not a natural market for hockey. This strong attendance does correspond to them winning consistently, attendance was pretty atrocious when they were struggling to win. 

Does make me wonder what might happen here if any Charlotte team could put together more than one season of above average performances. I guess FC has some potential, and the original Hornets managed to do this back in the day (and were rewarded w off the charts attendance).

The 22-23 figure below includes the stadium match from last night. Before last nights game the Canes payed to 94% home capacity which actually puts them in the bottom half of the league, but still an impressive number.

C4891A04-A194-4F1C-BBBD-BDFFFE1C3EE4.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Winning for sure has helped the Hurricanes but so as fast growth in the Triangle.  Raleigh metro is full of northern transplants and new residents many whom are very affluent who love hockey and many others who love a pro team.  Not everyone who lives there has an allegiance to one of the major universities in the area (college basketball in the winter) so having a pro hockey team is something a lot of Triangle residents can get behind.  They don't call Cary:   Containment Area for Relocated Yankees for nothing.  

• Like 2