Sports in Charlotte

• 1 month later...

On 3/8/2023 at 3:04 PM, carolinaboy said:

I know this is a bit off-topic but Queens University of Charlotte hosted #12 ranked East Carolina in a baseball game yesterday in Kannapolis. It took 10 innings for the Pirates to prevail. Really good outing by Queens.

On -topic: East Carolina is returning to Charlotte later in the season to play UNC Charlotte at Truist Field. That would be a good game to go to if you city-slickers want to watch two pretty good college baseball teams. Go Pirates.

Big game and great weather! See you in the beer line @carolinaboy

187D182D-AD1C-43F6-A09B-8B1C4C24EA04.jpeg.849137070954c11ebe12996853f37a9a.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kermit said:

the Checkers will play a game at Truist field on January 13. (and they are in the playoffs now!)

https://www.milb.com/charlotte-knights/events/winterclassic

This seems like the worst possible ice configuration but what do I know...

Applause to the Knights for finding ways to increase ballpark utilization!

image.thumb.png.acbfc275a7bd63f74aca5b230f99610e.png

Yeah, I really don't understand why they put the rink like that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Yeah, I really don't understand why they put the rink like that.

It seems pretty common, when they set up hockey rinks in baseball stadiums, that they avoid the pitchers mound.  If you google hockey and Yankee Stadium/Dodgers Stadium/Fenway/Target Field, you'll find similar configurations. 

11 hours ago, Clemson16 said:

The Oakland Athletics announced they are purchasing land in Las Vegas to build a new stadium. Is this the first domino that could lead to Charlotte getting a MLB expansion team?

The first domino would be having somebody to step up to finance an expansion franchise and work out a stadium deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Continuing my tour of regional ballparks I made my first stop at the new ballpark in Kannapolis today. I gotta say I was very impressed. By far the best ballpark in the area in architectural terms, no EFIS, looks like its all brick and steel (and concrete) -- lots of space to wander and ways to get unusual views of the game. Seats are properly oriented towards the field (unlike at Truist). As standard for Class A ball most of the seats are right in the middle of the action, when you are behind home plate there is no wall between you and the batter (just a net).  Food selection was very good (an order of magnitude better than Gastonia) local beer only mediocre (Cabarrus brewing appears to be a sponsor so that looked to be the only micro choice, but I did not do a bunch of investigating).

I was particularly impressed with the setting of the field in the middle of town with the NCRC buildings in the background. Downtown K-town was very busy as well. I believe the ballpark is open to the public when games are not happening which is hugely fantastic -- really wish the Knights would do more in this regard. I didn't get to spend any time downtown but I'll be back for lunch one day soon. I'll also find a way to take Amtrak to a game (probably after the new frequency is added), just because...

Anyway, two thumbs up on the Cannon Ballers and Kannapolis small-town urbanism!

Yes the ballpark is open to the public as a public park to walk through rent out for parties etc when there is not a game in session.  

As for lunch check out Chophouse 101 from sandwiches to steaks.   Some photos for context I took earlier in the month.  

20230402_122604.jpg

20230402_122651.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, HopHead said:

If I were a betting man, this is about hosting the NFL Draft in Charlotte: 

Annnnd this is why I don’t gamble. It’s to built a major tennis facility to host the Western and Southern open starting in 2026. Huge potential economic impact. Facility to be located in the River District. 

• Haha 2

For comparison to the Panthers project, the Rogers Centre in Toronto, the first grand retractable dome in N America, now 34 years old, is undergoing a 300 million$ renovation and privately funded. (Yes, the Cdn $ is worth less than the US $ but a Cdn $ earned and spent in Canada is worth one dollar).

https://ballparkdigest.com/2023/04/06/blue-jays-unveil-first-round-of-rogers-centre-renovations/

• Like 3

On 9/20/2022 at 11:13 AM, FLOSC843 said:

Looks like the ACC has officially confirmed Charlotte as the new HQ location according the CBJ. I dont have a paid account. Otherwise, I'd post the link to the article.

May be short lived HQ if the lawyers hired by the 7 schools looking to break away are successful: https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/17/acc-florida-state-clemson-leaving-what-happens-next

• Sad 1