Sports in Charlotte

Hoping for a New Orleans loss tonight...we would be leading NFC south if so! Would love to see the Panthers back in the playoffs!!!

Hate the Cowboys too much to cave to that argument, but it did cross my mind and cause a bit of a mini-stroke, we need some more divine help this season and that would have helped.  If we can pull off the upset over the Pats next week I will swear eternal allegiance and fealty to the Cam-man and apologize for all prior unbelief.  After that we should have no more losses other than perhaps a 1-1 net void with the Saints, NO on the other hand has at least two more nasty games, likely three.

Cats had a big W against the Celtics last night, moved to 4-4.  Al Jefferson had 22 points and I think 10 boards!  Go Cats.

I watched the game last night. Big Al proved his worth in the final minutes of that game with some key points down the stretch to seal the win. It's obvious that the team is still figuring out how to use/work with him. Hopefully as the season goes along, the chemistry builds and they start pulling out more Ws!

Anyone here familiar with the old "sports/golf complex" located on south tryon just south of Clanton street. I've noticed activity at the site and rode my bike by today to see the goings on. I ended up talking with someone associated with the project and they told me it will be a rugby/lacrosse/ultimate frisbee/soccer complex opening next "summer."

post-27281-0-66480900-1385078596_thumb.j

post-27281-0-93347600-1385079225_thumb.j

post-27281-0-72525300-1385079256_thumb.j

post-27281-0-83123000-1385079281_thumb.j

Edited by CarolinaCrown

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here familiar with the old "sports/golf complex" located on south tryon just south of Clanton street. I've noticed activity at the site and rode my bike by today to see the goings on. I ended up talking with someone associated with the project and they told me it will be a rugby/lacrosse/ultimate frisbee/soccer complex opening next "summer."

I'm familiar with it. It's going to be called the Rugby Athletic Facility. Bernie & Elizabeth Funck with Ranger Construction are funding the project as their legacy to the sport & our city. They have been major contributors to the sport in Charlotte, especially to the Charlotte Catholic program where their sons played. It's a top 5 program in the nation. It will open for play in May or June depending on the weather this spring. Other sports will have events their as well, but it's primarily for rugby.

• Like 1

Apparently the President & Managing Partner of the Charlotte Hounds (MLL team) is now part of group that will be putting together a proposal to bring an MLS team to Charlotte.  I know this because he followed me on twitter, I asked him if he was, and he said he was.

@McPhilliamy is his Twitter.

I'm not sure how legit it is, obviously it is very early, groundwork type stuff, but wholly cow that would rock.  I'd assume part of the plan would be a Memorial Stadium reno that could house both the Hounds and the Bayern Mecklenburg (my name for our hypothetical team).

• Like 1

Charlotte will never have an NHL team.

But there is definitely potential for an MLS team.

Does anyone have an idea if we could move that $60m in Bojangles Coliseum money into Memorial and make it a Soccer specific staidum?  BMO Field in Toronto, for example, cost $67.7 million USD in 2013 money to build and holds 22,000.  Crew Stadium in Columbus only cost $39 million in 2013 money and holds 22,000 as well.

Imagine a tastefully done soccer specific stadium on the Memorial Land (that could also host the Hounds for MLL) for about $50 million?!?!  Oh to dream...

I know we've talked about this in the past, I'm just curious if it's an actual possibility.

• Like 1

Charlotte will never have an NHL team.

But there is definitely potential for an MLS team.

Does anyone have an idea if we could move that $60m in Bojangles Coliseum money into Memorial and make it a Soccer specific staidum?  BMO Field in Toronto, for example, cost $67.7 million USD in 2013 money to build and holds 22,000.  Crew Stadium in Columbus only cost $39 million in 2013 money and holds 22,000 as well.

Imagine a tastefully done soccer specific stadium on the Memorial Land (that could also host the Hounds for MLL) for about $50 million?!?!  Oh to dream...

I know we've talked about this in the past, I'm just curious if it's an actual possibility.

Save a lot of money on site excavation thats for sure.

The soccer renovation option on charmeck from last year doesn't look great.  The front row is too elevated and projected capacity drops too much.  As much as I like Memorial Stadium a new, soccer-specific stadium would be great and could still host all the events that the current stadium hosts. I would hope we could land a team before committing to tearing it down to rebuild.

The soccer renovation option on charmeck from last year doesn't look great.  The front row is too elevated and projected capacity drops too much.  As much as I like Memorial Stadium a new, soccer-specific stadium would be great and could still host all the events that the current stadium hosts. I would hope we could land a team before committing to tearing it down to rebuild.

We will not land a team without a soccer specific stadium.  The MLS has made this clear with their expansion plans.  Note when I say "Memorial" I really mean "the land it sits on".  It would be a tear down and build of a brand new stadium.

Edited by ah59396

We will not land a team without a soccer specific stadium.  The MLS has made this clear with their expansion plans.  Note when I say "Memorial" I really mean "the land it sits on".  It would be a tear down and build of a brand new stadium.

What are the long term plans for CPCC expansion? Seems they're limited in space and the spot Memorial sits on could house many buildings. Maybe if it got to that point they'd simply expand the other campuses though.

I am not a soccer fan (what is their problem with scoring? Ties?) but if I was going to build a stadium I would put it:

1) on the BLE between Parkwood and Matheson (squeez it around the BLE infrastructure in the old intermodal yard?)

2) Bryant Park area

3) Parking lot at the Music factory

4) U City around the (former) weave  (meh)

What about expanding the main field at the Matthews Sportsplex? The Memorial Stadium parcel just looks too skinny for a regulation soccer pitch + 20M-40M seats. Plus, the game-day traffic at that site would be epic. The biggest drawback of Matthews is the lack of public transportation, but it is certainly more driveable.