Skyhouse Apartments

orulz

Novare is mass producing this skyscraper all over the southeast. As soon as the one in Atlanta topped out, they took the same crew, moved them down to Orlando, and got right to work. It took about 6 months from groundbreaking to topping out for the Atlanta tower, plus about an extra month to complete the shell and move on to the next. It appears that they have a pretty efficient pipelined operation going on here; maybe when the crew is done with the interior in Atlanta, the tower in Orlando will be just about ready for them to get started.

Therefore, I predict that Skyhouse Raleigh will begin construction in either 7 months or 14 months. That depends on which is next: Raleigh or Austin?

To me this sort of efficiency is EXACTLY what we need in order to bring down the price of construction for urban units.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I meant the mid town area. I street viewed all around and all I saw was set back skyscrapers, parking decks fronting streets and abandoned small brick buildings sort of referred to as a historic area on the map. It takes more than just sidewalks to be pedestrian oriented in my book.

Midtown is really a mixed bag and you can't just use a quick Streetview and make it representative of the entire area, especially since it also borders the connector and is rather large geographically. Certainly it's still a work in progress, but the most popular parts of Midtown are pretty walkable:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Midtown+Atlanta&ll=33.778484,-84.38431&spn=0.003033,0.004823&hnear=Midtown,+Atlanta,+Fulton,+Georgia&gl=us&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=33.778484,-84.38431&panoid=jGjwiQBYmkilD8mY5gfJZw&cbp=12,191.62,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Midtown+Atlanta&ll=33.786558,-84.383143&spn=0.003058,0.004823&hnear=Midtown,+Atlanta,+Fulton,+Georgia&gl=us&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=33.786695,-84.383192&panoid=o_ARHHtpG5If-j0PMi626A&cbp=12,77.96,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Midtown+Atlanta&ll=33.777307,-84.387298&spn=0.001517,0.002411&hnear=Midtown,+Atlanta,+Fulton,+Georgia&gl=us&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=33.777307,-84.387298&panoid=Vl0yOe1tJIn_QZJ-RViNvg&cbp=12,13.31,,0,0.1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Jones, cover your eyes.

One of the 1870s era commercial buildings on Wilmington Street is biting the dust. Reportedly the building started to crumble of its own accord late last week.

This certainly makes it much easier and less controversial for Novarre/Sandreuter to come in and level the whole row for Skyhouse/Edison/etc.

Yeah, I watched the first blow. I knew immediately after reading the N&O article he'd just go ahead and demo it. It looks like he even tried to go cheap on that and just pay to pull off the facade, but then part of it fell back on the second story floor and it caved onto the first floor and the whole crew freaked out. I took a look at the crack and surmise it was the removal of the first floor facade in the 60's (guessing) and its weak 60's replacement's inability to hold up the second story brick facade that was to blame...not the foundation as the article said. 

Anyway, this corner will of course remain empty for a long time since Skyhouse is going on the Blount corner.  

At least they got the circa date right...I sent around several of my own write-ups on the property....(all the city council members, and the historic district commission), in an effort to correct the misnomer that it was built in 1910 (according to property records) and draw attention to the rarity of buildings this age in Raleigh,....but the almighty dollar has spoken....

• 1 month later...

A WRAL article about the building being demo'd at the Martin & Wilmington corner mentioned Skyhouse could start construction later this year.  But it didn't interview anybody associated with the project and "could" is a vague as it gets.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that once Atlanta Skyhouse was completed, the developer would simply pack up that crew and send them here.  I'm ready for some specific news and dates though!  Or at least a website for the apartments!

Skyhouse is a whole different permitting animal. If that isn't already in the works with timely developer responses to City staff comments then it could be a while before it starts...would be nice to get that going along with Link over at Harrington/Jones so the density starts to even out across town finally

• 2 months later...

Not really. No movement on any of Sandreuter's projects.

Regarding Skyhouse, I'm not especially familiar with the permitting process or the city's database, but it looks like building plans have been submitted for some level of review and all trades approved as of last August- but no permits were issued. Not sure what that means, if it even means anything at all.

If I were Novarre I would get cold feet after actually seeing the location. Our downtown is noting like an Atlanta Midtown....Moore Square is still a slightly sketchy area with very little retail and a gritty bus station ....not great for high rent apartments. Skyhouse would do better say perched on the Tennis Courts next to Tylers or at the corner or Glenwood/Hillsborough....IMO

The Orlando Skyhouse appears topped off.  And sounds like the developer is moving the same crew from site to site.  The crew that constructed the structure and shell of the Atlanta building moved on to Orlando while the interior crew finished up.  Maybe when the shell crew from Orlando wraps up (1-2 months?), then they will break ground at either Raleigh or Charlotte?

If I had to bet between Skyhouse and the Edison Phase 1 apartments - my money would be on Skyhouse to actually get built.

• 3 weeks later...

The Orlando Skyhouse appears topped off.  And sounds like the developer is moving the same crew from site to site.  The crew that constructed the structure and shell of the Atlanta building moved on to Orlando while the interior crew finished up.  Maybe when the shell crew from Orlando wraps up (1-2 months?), then they will break ground at either Raleigh or Charlotte?

If I had to bet between Skyhouse and the Edison Phase 1 apartments - my money would be on Skyhouse to actually get built.

Thats not possible since there are now four Skyhouse projects under construction at the same time, including a second one in Atlanta.  

Apparently Skyhouse Houston has started as well.  By the end of it, there might be one of these going up in every state.  Wonder why the Raleigh one is just crawling on to breaking ground.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/115880-skyhouse-houston/

I'm guessing when we see a webcam pop up on this page, we'll be close to a start date.

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing when we see a webcam pop up on this page, we'll be close to a start date.

Still nothing on that site yet.  Probably would put the camera on the top of the Moores Square parking deck.  But I saw news maybe about a month ago that ground breaking would be late summer.

I think some of the delay has been the City's requirement for ground floor retail.  So now this project is technically linked with the office building at the NW corner of the block and the developer is also having to purchase a retail space from the parking garage to meet the requirement set by the City.

Archived