Skyhouse Apartments

orulz

Still nothing on that site yet.  Probably would put the camera on the top of the Moores Square parking deck.  But I saw news maybe about a month ago that ground breaking would be late summer.

I think some of the delay has been the City's requirement for ground floor retail.  So now this project is technically linked with the office building at the NW corner of the block and the developer is also having to purchase a retail space from the parking garage to meet the requirement set by the City.

I don't know how that would be a problem. I have it on good authority that Charlotte's Skyhouse Project will have retail wrapping both the parking deck and the residential tower. Also I heard a rumor from a friend that there is talks with a prominent grocery chain to be located on site.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how that would be a problem. I have it on good authority that Charlotte's Skyhouse Project will have retail wrapping both the parking deck and the residential tower. Also I heard a rumor from a friend that there is talks with a prominent grocery chain to be located on site.

Yes, the Raleigh Skyhouse will also have tons of ground floor retail, but something about the way the projects are phased, it seems like there is a requirement for a certain amount of retail on site and somehow ties it in to the office building project.  I'm a bit confused on it, but the selling the retail spots to the developer was approved last week.  And it appeared they were doing some kind of soil testing or borings on site this week.

Lastly, yes I heard the rumor about a possible grocery, but this also confuses me, the division and layout of the retail space does not seem like it would fit a grocery.  I guess possibly an express-style grocery?

I doubt a grocery store could fit at the bottom of Skyhouse seeing as the retail is split in two, but maybe with the increase in residents from it and the Lincoln going across from Moore Square, a grocery store will finally come back to Cobblestone Hall in City Market. In a perfect world (it is up for lease right now).

I doubt a grocery store could fit at the bottom of Skyhouse seeing as the retail is split in two, but maybe with the increase in residents from it and the Lincoln going across from Moore Square, a grocery store will finally come back to Cobblestone Hall in City Market. In a perfect world (it is up for lease right now).

I've always wondered about that space.  There was once a grocery store/market in there?  What's the history of that space in general?

It was the original state farmer's market. 

I've been wondering about the ground breaking as well. Who knows in Raleigh, but it was just approved by the city council (I think for the last time) so it should start any time now. 

There were earlier farmers markets in Metropolitan Hall (City Hall where the old Wachovia building now sits) in the 1870's and a round wooden shed that sat in the middle of the intersection of Hargett and Fayetteville (1840's according to Elizabeth Reid Lawrence). Any who, that is the oldest still standing and would do fine for something the size of say an Earth Fare or something. Skyhouse will definitely pull the gravity east a bit and adds density so I would say it improves the odds of any grocery ending up on that side of downtown a good deal. 

Well you see in a lot of cities urban grocery stores and Targets and the like that are specifically designed to have a smaller footprint. It could work there. I would personally rather see an urban Harris Teeter, something more generally used and less niche organic products, and therefore cheaper. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say bickering.  They were applying for an exception and submitted documents to support their position.  They had a discussion and then the planning commission approved.  (And Skyhouse was already previously approved - this was for Edison office building.)

"Bickering" to me implies a long, argumentative back-and-forth... which is not the case here.

The last groundbreaking that I heard for Skyhouse was "mid-summer" which was announced in the spring.  Seems like any day now...

This probably  belongs in the history thread but TBJ is totally wrong on the date (they said 1884...mind you I love old buildings as most of you know). I can look at the building and tell you it most likely dates to the 1920's. Consulting the 1884, 1888, 1903 and 1914 Sanborn maps, it is clear that this building is not on any of them. The block of buildings next to it facing Wilmington does appear by 1914 but in the spot Clyde Coopers sits is a wooden structure of some sort that says "poultry" on the 1884 map. So I stick by my 1920's assessment. 

An interesting aside, is directly across Davie Street, I believe the original County Courthouse (1795 or so) built in the Raleigh Street grid survived until about 1900. Elizabeth Reid Murray noted that it was moved to the area near Wilmington and Davie Street and used as a hotel to make way for a larger courthouse in the 1830's. The 1872 Drie map shows a large wooden building noted as Raleigh Hotel. This building looks to have survived on a Sanborn map until 1903 where it shown simply as a vacant 2.5 story wooden building. By 1914 it was gone (note, there are also 1909 maps but I never took the time to download all of them)

• 2 weeks later...

While we wait for Skyhouse Raleigh to start (or even show up on their webcam site), I figured I'd give an update on the other Skyhouses...

Atlanta 1: Finished Feb 2013

Orlando: Building envelope almost complete... last windows going in at top floor

Atlanta 2: Constructing penthouse floor.  Windows completed up to 20th floor

Austin: Work in progress at penthouse

Houston: structure complete up to 6th floor

Charlotte: ???

Raleigh: ???

and now one announced for Dallas yesterday.

• 1 month later...

And now Dallas has been added to the webcam page for the Skyhouses...

http://oxblue.com/open/SkyHouseApartments

Does anyone have an update on where we are in the process for Skyhouse?  Waiting for construction permit approval from City?  As far as I know the City Council and the Planning Commission have both given approval for the project and have worked out all the parking issues, correct?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived