Asheville grocers & food retailers - What's your preference?

mediamongrel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the impression that Biltmore Forest is high end, but perhaps appearances are deceiving.  Regardless, the hegemony of Ingles is staggering.

Biltmore Forest is, you're right, but the other side of the street (right side of US-25) beginning after the Parkway entrance, really is a polar opposite.  That's why it seemed weird that Harris Teeter was ever there to begin with.  It would be nice if an Aldi's went there or something of that sort (partly just to antagonize that higher end population).  Also in reference to Ingles, They survive purely on saturation and HEAVY advertising.  I NEVER hear or see(TV) any advertisements for Bi-Lo, Earthfare, or Harris Teeter anywhere in Asheville.  It's a shame too, because the Bi-Lo fuel perks program is actually a lot more cost efficient than Ingle's "3 cents off with a gift card" deal. 

I have found evidence that one of the outparcels for the new Harris Teeter on Merrimon will be a Chick-Fil-A.

I don't really go to Chick-Fil-A that much, but that's funny because it will just frustrate more liberals if that happens.  I like their strategy though, go where the money is.  Everyone from Harris Teeter will most likely go straight to Chick-Fil-A after finishing their grocery shopping.

• 1 month later...

I just came back from a long weekend in the Lake Lure/Chimney Rock area with my family. During that time we went to several Ingles in the area (the Lake Lure and Black Mountain stores). I must say we were all very impressed. They were modern (obviously pretty new), large (rivaling the largest Krogers & Teeters in the Triangle sizewise), clean and well stocked. My Mom actually commented how she wished there were Ingles closer to home. I'm sure the old stores are probably a different story but the two Ingles we went to were very nice, especially for being in such small towns...

post-3026-0-64809600-1358869013_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

The Trader Joe's building has begun to go up in the last week or so. 

Also, what's up with the huge mound of dirt next to the parking lot where Harris Teeter is going in?  I thought originally it was just from the grading work, but it's still there after most of the site work has been done.  Anyone know anything about this?

• 3 months later...

Archived