Asheville grocers & food retailers - What's your preference?

mediamongrel

For me, it's lack of character. It's just too new without a sense of history. I did live out there for about 9 months before I could escape. But to each his own. If you like it, I'm happy for you.

If the store were to go in at the Biltmore Park location, would there be adequate adjacent parking? And I'm not talking about parking in a parking garage. Typcially, grocery store patrons don't really want to park in a parking garage.

Why does everyone hate South Asheville? River Ridge is not appealing to me at all. Sorry, but I guess everyone likes what they like.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there ya go. We travel in different circles, it seems. I really would like an answer to my question regarding who you think their clientel is that is exclusive to Biltmore Park or at least isn't in Asheville proper.

I lost the question somewhere...Whose clientel? People that hang around at Biltmore Park or higher income areas probably don't go to River Ridge. That's all I was saying.

For me, it's lack of character. It's just too new without a sense of history. I did live out there for about 9 months before I could escape. But to each his own. If you like it, I'm happy for you.

I do enjoy newer areas, if that constitutes no character, than so be it. I doubt you have to worry, probably 90% of the people on UP probably agree with you. I know I'm in the minority on this topic at least on UP, but judging from the amount of people in South Asheville every week, I'd say it's getting just as or more popular than your traditonal historical areas.

Relatively easy to get to from all parts of Asheville via I-240 and I-40. Traffic out that way isn't horrid like it can be in South Asheville.

Trafic isn't bad on I-240 north of the city? or Patton Ave? or McDowell St? or Biltmore Ave? or Charlotte St? or Tunnel Rd? Where have you been driving? All of Asheville has traffic at rush hour. South Asheville doesn't have much traffic at all after about 8 pm. At least from what I have noticed.

Trafic isn't bad on I-240 north of the city? or Patton Ave? or McDowell St? or Biltmore Ave? or Charlotte St? or Tunnel Rd? Where have you been driving? All of Asheville has traffic at rush hour. South Asheville doesn't have much traffic at all after about 8 pm. At least from what I have noticed.

I was refering to the traffic in the area near River Ridge which doesn't seem to be bad at all most times of the day, not on Patton Avenue, the medical center area, or other areas you mention.

I lost the question somewhere...Whose clientel? People that hang around at Biltmore Park or higher income areas probably don't go to River Ridge. That's all I was saying.

In your earlier post you said this: "Trader Joe's in River Ridge? Odd place because their clientel isn't around there at all. But I'm guessing if people find out it's there it might do well."

So, in your opinion, people in Black Mountain, Weaverville, North Asheville, East Asheville, Fairview, Central Asheville, - well, actually anywhere other than Biltmore Park - are not going to shop at Trader Joe's so they shouldn't put it anywhere other than Biltmore Park? I take it you think they won't manage to get any customers if they aren't there. I think you underestimate the draw of Trader Joe's.

In your earlier post you said this: "Trader Joe's in River Ridge? Odd place because their clientel isn't around there at all. But I'm guessing if people find out it's there it might do well."

So, in your opinion, people in Black Mountain, Weaverville, North Asheville, East Asheville, Fairview, Central Asheville, - well, actually anywhere other than Biltmore Park - are not going to shop at Trader Joe's so they shouldn't put it anywhere other than Biltmore Park? I take it you think they won't manage to get any customers if they aren't there. I think you underestimate the draw of Trader Joe's.

I honestly can't estimate the draw of Trader Joe's, since the closest I have ever lived near one is about 25 miles. Though, I know they are fairly expensive, I'm guessing along the price points of Earth Fare and such, which means I probably wont be shopping there too much anyway even if it did open up.

I'm still trying to figure out why Harris Teeter said they were leaving the mountains and swapping their stores with Lowes Foods, yet they are building one on Merrimon Avenue.

That is amazing news! That seems pretty likely, actually.

The Linens and Things space was closer to my house, but I will definitely dive over to River Ridge for TJ's! This is very good for River Ridge as there is not much there that is good.

I really don't think that it matters where TJ locates since it is so popular. I know that even some people here drive an hour just to get away from Ingles to go to Publix, and I've heard people will drive up to 2 hours for a Trader Joe's. I think Biltmore Park is a much nicer location than River Ridge, but considering that Trader Joe's is fairly inexpensive, I don't think it really matters where they put it.

I for one don't see what all the hype is for TJ's, but I don't buy many packaged foods (which is 90% of what they carry.) Their organic produce was no less expensive than Harris Teeter for example, and I didn't think their meat department was much better either.

Nonetheless I'm glad to see one coming to Asheville.

I for one don't see what all the hype is for TJ's, but I don't buy many packaged foods (which is 90% of what they carry.) Their organic produce was no less expensive than Harris Teeter for example, and I didn't think their meat department was much better either.

Nonetheless I'm glad to see one coming to Asheville.

I rarely ever get their prepared packaged foods, but their frozen fish selection is awesome as are their dried fruits and nuts. Cheeses are good. Unusual things like dried spiced mango, falafel chips. Their hummus rocks as do their peanut and almond butters. Fig butter, mmmm. Pretzel rolls, yum.

I rarely buy meats now anywhere other than The Chop Shop so meats aren't on my shopping list there. Or produce either unless I see something I need right then. Basically, I see TJ's as a place to round out things that I might get at the regular supermarket. Something special to make life more interesting. And not at a cost similar to Earth Fare or Whole Foods.

Edited to add: Oh, and the wine. : D

That is amazing news! That seems pretty likely, actually.

The Linens and Things space was closer to my house, but I will definitely dive over to River Ridge for TJ's! This is very good for River Ridge as there is not much there that is good.

I really don't think that it matters where TJ locates since it is so popular. I know that even some people here drive an hour just to get away from Ingles to go to Publix, and I've heard people will drive up to 2 hours for a Trader Joe's. I think Biltmore Park is a much nicer location than River Ridge, but considering that Trader Joe's is fairly inexpensive, I don't think it really matters where they put it.

I was at Kitchen & Company today and the woman who checked me out said they haven't been told who the new tenant would be though she implied there was definitely one. Actually, she said they (property management) weren't telling. Which does rather sound like TJ's since they like to keep a lid on things until they are ready to announce. I noticed there were some vacant store fronts still so the fact that this location already has a tenant lined up sounds promising.

Posted on Facebook tonight:

Benjamin Moore and NY Fashions confirm they have a deal with Trader Joe's on Merrimon Avenue. News 13's Frank Kracher will show you the paperwork tonight on News 13 on My40 at 10 p.m. and News 13 at 11 p.m.

Woohooo!

So your saying it's on Merrimon now? Instead of River Ridge? Figured that would happen. Comapred to the ever growing area you're describing on Merrimon, River Ridge is a dump. I still haven't heard whether HT will still open up their store in that area of Merrimon, or will it turn into a Lowes Foods. Why would HT make a deal to exit the Western NC market, then come right back?

So your saying it's on Merrimon now? Instead of River Ridge? Figured that would happen. Comapred to the ever growing area you're describing on Merrimon, River Ridge is a dump. I still haven't heard whether HT will still open up their store in that area of Merrimon, or will it turn into a Lowes Foods. Why would HT make a deal to exit the Western NC market, then come right back?

LOL

I was just sharing what has been all over the news for the last two days. And speaking of news, when the Lowe's Foods/Harris Teeter swap was first reported a couple of months ago, it was specifically mentioned in the article that the new store on Merrimon would be a Harris Teeter and not a Lowe's. I have no idea why, but that's the word from their corporate HQ.

LOL

I was just sharing what has been all over the news for the last two days. And speaking of news, when the Lowe's Foods/Harris Teeter swap was first reported a couple of months ago, it was specifically mentioned in the article that the new store on Merrimon would be a Harris Teeter and not a Lowe's. I have no idea why, but that's the word from their corporate HQ.

Doesn't make sense. But oh well. Anyway, next subject.

Kind of miss the Bi-Lo stores that used to be around Asheville. Still like the one out near Enka, but the one near River Ridge is too old. I remember when Bi-Lo went through a phase of building all new "supercenter" type stores about 10 years ago, with an amazing selection of produce by "Walter." They were just as good as any Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods, or Ingles when that happened back in the early 2000s.

I went to Greenlife for the first time yesterday. I really enjoyed it. A little small, but still larger than Trader Joe's. Some of the prices were pretty high, but they had some excellent deals as well. The things I buy most from Ingles are the more expensive/organic products, and they are really expensive, and are much cheaper there. I really wish they would have put a full-size Whole Foods (they are almost double the size) in South Asheville. Larger and closer to my house. Still, best grocery store in Asheville. Most store brands are not very good, but Whole Foods 365 everyday value brand is just as good and even better than some national brands.

I live in the Triangle and we have friggin' Harris Teeters on every corner. Some, mostly the new ones, are big and nice, but some of them are small and mediocre. They are all a bit on the pricey side.

Around here, Lowes Foods are decent and also less expensive than HT. They haven't built many new stores lately, it's mostly HT that is in expansion mode. I would put Lowes Foods about on a par with Ingles in the quality department but they seem a bit more expensive. Sometimes I wish I had an Ingles to go to. The one I went to growing up on Merrimon has a few things that most grocery stores around here don't, like bulk grains and stuff.

I always hear people talking about "Oh, la la, Publix is so awesome!!" or "Ya-de-ya Wegmans blah blah blah!")

In truth, I think grocery stores are basically a case of "The grass is always greener on the other side." Some folks seem to be convinced that the grocery stores are better everywhere else. When they travel somewhere else and go to a grocery store, they notice its strengths immediately but they don't stick around for long enough to notice the faults.

In reality it seems, every store has its strengths and weaknesses. Of course bigger, newer stores tend to give a better first impression and seem to have a certain edge in quality for about their first 5 or so years. There's actually a brand new Food Lion near where I live that seems to have great quality produce every time I go (not typically a hallmark of Food Lion). But really, no grocer is perfect. If the overall quality is higher, then you pay for it. If there is an awesome bakery then maybe they skimp on the butcher or produce. Etc,etc.

^Don't forget about ole Kroger in the Triangle! To me they seem to be somewhere between Food Lion and Lowes Foods/Harris Teeter on the upscale scale. Also like Lowes Foods they really haven't built new stores in the area over the last several years but they do seem to be holding their own. I'd definately say that Food Lion and Harris Teeter are the grocers in expansion mode at the moment.

I actually went to a big shiny Ingles a couple of years back when I was in the Asheville area (I think it was in the Weaverville area kinda close to the airport but don't hold me to it) and I thought it was nice. Very big and clean, prices seemed okay. The same could be said for the Publix I ran into while in Florida several years ago haha. Heck even Piggly Wiggly has some nice stores if you go into a newer location....

To me Ingles is to Asheville as Harris Teeter is to affluent areas of Charlotte and North Raleigh....they pretty much have the market saturated lol

Getting further off topic, Kroger is definitely in a contraction mode in the Triangle. There are two that I know of that have closed - Six Forks & Sawmill (N. Raleigh) and High House & NC55 (Cary). However, they do still have a significant presence here.

I think it mostly comes down to employees. You could have a very new Harris Teeter with lazy and ignorant employees, which in turn causes many problems within the store such as appearance and quality. However, you could also have an old Food Lion which has many dedicated and experienced associates, thus making that particular Food Lion superior. It all really comes down to who you have working at the certain location.

• 4 months later...

Archived