Leasing & Property Transfers in Downtown/West End vicinity

vicupstate

18 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Anyone know why the strip of buildings in the first block of South Main Street hasn’t been redeveloped? It’s the block where Sushi Murasaki and a few other restaurants are, across from Brooks Brothers and the ONE complex.

It seems like a prime location for a redevelopment.  Surely high-end retailers, high-end condos and some class A office space would be a more productive use of the site than some aged and small one-story buildings that aren’t suitable for uses other than restaurants.

Those buildings have character. It’d be a travesty to see them replaced with new development for the sake of new development. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Those buildings have character. It’d be a travesty to see them replaced with new development for the sake of new development. 

They have character, so perhaps the facades could be kept.  I don't view them as architecturally distinctive, though.  Seems like a waste for Greenville's prime intersection to have one-story buildings at it.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

I don't think the side with Wild Wings should be removed and think you would see a great pushback from the City and community. Its not the same as where ONE went in. The old drug store building there looked like it was falling down. 

The old department store on the other side is another story given it lost its old facade long ago. No historical relevance is left. 

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Hughes can’t even finish Riverplace. Notice the peoposed office building behind Embassy Suites still hasn’t gotten built. 

I think Columbia and now Mauldin gets his attention more...

For ONE, the old Woolworth building was a dump (even when the store was open), but a nice-looking beige building from the early 1900s was also torn down.  It was along West Washington, behind Woolworth's but before the BofA parking lot was.  So ONE didn't displace only the dumpy Woolworth's building.

For TWO, the old JCPenney building is fine but it should be redeveloped, as clearly there is a more productive use for the land (instead of low-rise street-level office space).  

For the block where the sushi place is (first block of South Main), surely there'd be a way to preserve the facades.  Those buildings, though, have minimal architectural significance and you could easily have a $100MM, 300,000sf (or larger) development on the site, with very desirable office and retail tenants.  I wouldn't push back on redeveloping them (as long as we don't get another 2015-era boxy mid-tier hotel there).  The only thing those buildings have going for them is that they're old and show what Greenville looked like decades ago--and the street-side brickwork could be kept, somehow, so that point would be addressed.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

2 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

I don't think the side with Wild Wings should be removed and think you would see a great pushback from the City and community. Its not the same as where ONE went in. The old drug store building there looked like it was falling down. 

The old department store on the other side is another story given it lost its old facade long ago. No historical relevance is left. 

I think Columbia and now Mauldin gets his attention more...

Columbia is being managed by Bob's son and Mauldin is Phil Hughes, IIRC. 

Given Camperdown will be online soon and there is still space in ONE, I doubt we will see TWO for at least a few more years.  

16 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

For the block where the sushi place is (first block of South Main), surely there'd be a way to preserve the facades.  Those buildings, though, have minimal architectural significance and you could easily have a $100MM, 300,000sf (or larger) development on the site, with very desirable office and retail tenants.  I wouldn't push back on redeveloping them (as long as we don't get another 2015-era boxy mid-tier hotel there).  The only thing those buildings have going for them is that they're old and show what Greenville looked like decades ago--and the street-side brickwork could be kept, somehow, so that point would be addressed.

Isnt the character of Greenville from that time period ( e.g. Mast Gen) part of what brings people downtown in the first place?  I understand we have the park and great restaurants (and sort of retail that I suspect will be eventually be replaced with bars or restaurant/bars).    Its those places that take what any city can have and gives it our "flavor" that makes someone want to leave where they are and come here.  I think without them, we would be more like too many other cities our size and not in a good way.

.16 acre lot at 518 Rhett sold for $320,720. This is between the “Perimeter” lot and the ‘blue brick’  508 Rhett building that got renovated a few years back.  It is currently a parking lot only. 

.11 acre vacant lot at 4 Logan st. sold for $240k.  This parcel is part of a larger commercial listing that has been labeled 'under contract'  online.  

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Isnt the character of Greenville from that time period ( e.g. Mast Gen) part of what brings people downtown in the first place?  I understand we have the park and great restaurants (and sort of retail that I suspect will be eventually be replaced with bars or restaurant/bars).    Its those places that take what any city can have and gives it our "flavor" that makes someone want to leave where they are and come here.  I think without them, we would be more like too many other cities our size and not in a good way.

Yes.  The facades of the buildings in the first block of South Main could be kept.  I just don't find those buildings particularly attractive or noteworthy; I don't care for the 2015-era boxes all around downtown, either, so perhaps keep the facades of those buildings but add a new development on the site, with great traditional architecture, so we have the best of both (i.e., old buildings with charm plus noteworthy architecture) in that block?

3 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Yes.  The facades of the buildings in the first block of South Main could be kept.  I just don't find those buildings particularly attractive or noteworthy; I don't care for the 2015-era boxes all around downtown, either, so perhaps keep the facades of those buildings but add a new development on the site, with great traditional architecture, so we have the best of both (i.e., old buildings with charm plus noteworthy architecture) in that block?

Ive seen this attempted and no matter how much money you throw at it, you cant fake it.  Its like a movie set or going to Disney.   That being said, Disney does attract a lot of people so maybe I am in the minority here.

23 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

Ive seen this attempted and no matter how much money you throw at it, you cant fake it.  Its like a movie set or going to Disney.   That being said, Disney does attract a lot of people so maybe I am in the minority here.

Or I may be in the minority here.  I'll concede the point: people like these old buildings and getting rid of them could get a lot of resistance.

I'd just like all of the new buildings being built downtown to have more timeless architecture.  Having so many of them be brick helps, but the 2015-era boxes could end up as horribly dated in 20-30 years as the Greenville News building was and as the Daniel/Landmark building is.  What's wrong with Georgian, neo-Renaissance or some other classic architectural style that is tried and true?  For example, new but old-style AC Hotel in downtown Spartanburg looks great.

1 minute ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Or I may be in the minority here.  I'll concede the point: people like these old buildings and getting rid of them could get a lot of resistance.

I'd just like all of the new buildings being built downtown to have more timeless architecture.  Having so many of them be brick helps, but the 2015-era boxes could end up as horribly dated in 20-30 years as the Greenville News building was and as the Daniel/Landmark building is.  What's wrong with Georgian, neo-Renaissance or some other classic architectural style that is tried and true?  For example, new but old-style AC Hotel in downtown Spartanburg looks great.

Yeah, there is a lot of architecture that doesnt look that great to me too from the past 50 years, and some that I hated  years ago that have really grown on me like mid century moderns.  I think that is part of any art or architecture.   As much as I want to keep the old, I still want to keep trying new things even if they end up sucking.   Its exciting to watch these buildings take form however my one peeve is materials that dont stand the test of time or on the other side of that are too expensive to maintain.  Putting up a nice shiny new mixed use office building in place of some 125 year old architecture that 20 years from now is crumbling and the owners have deemed it too expensive to maintain then becomes a dilapidated eyesore and can pull the rest of that block down with it.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:45 AM, vicupstate said:

..11 acre vacant lot at 4 Logan st. sold for $240k.  This parcel is part of a larger commercial listing that has been labeled 'under contract'  online.  

.114 acre lot with SFH sold for $270k. It is next to the one quoted above.  The house has been demolished. 

20 N. Main St. sold for $1,975,000 on 12/22/17.

On 12/22/17 it appears all of the properties listed in the David Stone family were consolidated under the  ownership of Stone Family Properties LLC.  If you put that name in the Search box on the County GIS website you will see the vast holdings they have.  This may indicate plans to sell some of them or it may just be a simplification effort on their part.        

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, vicupstate said:

92 and 98 Grace st. sold for $390k to Carolina Asset Mangement.  This is zoned Multi Family and is bordered by the new Qt and one of the Markley Station parking lots. There is a home or duplex on each lot currently.   

The plan is to demolish duplexes and build luxury townhomes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...