Leasing & Property Transfers in Downtown/West End vicinity

vicupstate

27 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

WHOA !!

On 12/18/20, United Community Bank paid $5,750,000 for the building currently housing the Wyche Law Firm . This is the same property that is getting the FILOT property tax agreement.    

Holy crap. :shok:  My guess was right. Half way down the page here: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/23796-greater-greenville-economic-developments/page/59/#comments

There have been lots of rumors of them moving their corporate headquarters here from Georgia over the last few years. Finally great to see it potentially happening. :shades: PLEASE let this be a highrise also. For $30 million and 225 jobs on that small of a site, you would certainly think so.

Edited by gman430

2 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

^^ If that is the case I might have to move my accounts to UCB. I dread the work involved with that, but my disdain for Wells Fargo's corruption and the chance to support a locally HQed  bank might be worth it.  

I’m with Wells Fargo also. I might have to do the same. Lol.

This also begs the question: where is Wyche going to move to? Even though they spent all of that money on the renovation of their current building, it sounds like they got an offer they couldn’t refuse. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Holy crap. :shok:  My guess was right. Half way down the page here: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/23796-greater-greenville-economic-developments/page/59/#comments

There have been lots of rumors of them moving their corporate headquarters here from Georgia over the last few years. Finally great to see it potentially happening. :shades: PLEASE let this be a highrise also. For $30 million and 225 jobs on that small of a site, you would certainly think so.

Grand Bohemian is projected to cost $100m and their location isn't exactly that much larger than this current Wyche location, so personally I don't expect a high-rise. Probably 5-8 stories, but hopefully with unique architecture.  

I will say wherever Wyche seems to locate, developers want it. Maybe they should move into a construction trailer on the infamous "Gateway Site" next! :tw_tounge_wink:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GVLover said:

Grand Bohemian is projected to cost $100m and their location isn't exactly that much larger than this current Wyche location, so personally I don't expect a high-rise. Probably 5-8 stories, but hopefully with unique architecture.  

I will say wherever Wyche seems to locate, developers want it. Maybe they should move into a construction trailer on the infamous "Gateway Site" next! :tw_tounge_wink:

That doesn’t count. The Grand Bohemian has like gold bathrooms and stuff. This is gonna be a new states tallest. You all watch. :D 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, gman430 said:

That doesn’t count. The Grand Bohemian has like gold bathrooms and stuff. This is gonna be a new states tallest. You all watch. :D 

I wish, but no way you're going to get a highrise out of 30mm and just 225 jobs, unless they put like 5 people per floor, but then it'd cost way more than 30mm. 

On 1/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, vicupstate said:

^^ If that is the case I might have to move my accounts to UCB. I dread the work involved with that, but my disdain for Wells Fargo's corruption and the chance to support a locally HQed  bank might be worth it.  

There was another UCB downtown back in the 90s, maybe United Carolina Bank. I think it was in the smaller glass building, can't remember what it's called now.

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

I wish, but no way you're going to get a highrise out of 30mm and just 225 jobs, unless they put like 5 people per floor, but then it'd cost way more than 30mm. 

There was another UCB downtown back in the 90s, maybe United Carolina Bank. I think it was in the smaller glass building, can't remember what it's called now.

The Two Liberty Square 13-story office building once had a C&S bank logo on it, prior to the NCNB merger and creation of NationsBank.  I remember UCB, but somehow can't locate it in my memory of downtown.

6 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Are you thinking of Community Bank--out of Laurens, I think--that opened up an office downtown across the street from the green tile buiiding at the tip of the Gateway site? I'm guessing that was late 80's, but my memory's a bit dim on those details.

2 hours ago, Exile said:

Are you thinking of Community Bank--out of Laurens, I think--that opened up an office downtown across the street from the green tile buiiding at the tip of the Gateway site? I'm guessing that was late 80's, but my memory's a bit dim on those details.

I think it was United Carolina Bank.  It took a while to recall that name.  They did have an office downtown, and I think a sign on Two Liberty Square, sometime after C&S during the '90s.

34 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

I think it was United Carolina Bank.  It took a while to recall that name.  They did have an office downtown, and I think a sign on Two Liberty Square, sometime after C&S during the '90s.

Yeah this was it, the Two Liberty building, also called Two Insignia Financial at one point. That UCB got bought out of course, not sure by who. 

Edit: Here it is, bought out by BB&T in 1997.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Carolina_Bank

Edited by distortedlogic

8 hours ago, Skyliner said:

Yeah, I was a little off (to say the least).

There was a Community Bank at that building at E. North and Broadus. The building was actually built for them. And I'm almost positive it was an attempt by a Laurens bank to make headway into Greenville. I seem to remember that an acquaintance's father was recruited to run their Greenville incursion.

BUT, it all happened in the mid-70's. I found an advertisement for Community Bank in the News archives from May 30, 1976.

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 8.51.15 AM.png

Edited by Exile

Anybody else remember the old American Federal bank, and the "white sheep" commercial jingle?

I'm different, and don't care who knows it

Something about me's, not the same

I'm different,  and that's how it goes

Ain't gonna play no white sheep games.

(Cue black sheep on roller skates)

Edited by distortedlogic

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Anybody else remember the old American Federal bank, and the "white sheep" commercial jingle?

I'm different, and don't care who knows it

Something about me's, not the same

I'm different,  and that's how it goes

Ain't gonna play no white sheep games.

(Cue black sheep on roller skates)

I do indeed, and liked the "AmFed" logo before they changed to the bland CCB (Central Carolina Bank) logo.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, gman430 said:

Definitely going to need another parking garage.  Is there enough space there for something that houses 225 jobs?  Could they be buying it as an investment to resell? 

33 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

Definitely going to need another parking garage.  Is there enough space there for something that houses 225 jobs?  Could they be buying it as an investment to resell? 

If it’s a new building then definitely yes. A parking garage will probably be included with the development plans for the site. I don’t think UCB is buying it as an investment to resell. If so, there wouldn’t be a FILOT/tax incentive agreement with the county for 225 new jobs and $30 million investment. Definitely sounds like they’re buying the site for their corporate HQ relocation out of Georgia. 

Edited by gman430

15 hours ago, gman430 said:

If it’s a new building then definitely yes. A parking garage will probably be included with the development plans for the site. I don’t think UCB is buying it as an investment to resell. If so, there wouldn’t be a FILOT/tax incentive agreement with the county for 225 new jobs and $30 million investment. Definitely sounds like they’re buying the site for their corporate HQ relocation out of Georgia. 

Thanks, and nice one on getting the scoop!

On 1/11/2021 at 12:43 AM, distortedlogic said:

Yeah this was it, the Two Liberty building, also called Two Insignia Financial at one point. That UCB got bought out of course, not sure by who. 

Edit: Here it is, bought out by BB&T in 1997.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Carolina_Bank

I remember this UCB. They had a branch in that multilevel building with drive thru attached on Pelham@Venture in the Exchange on Pelham. (just before you get to North Hills Medical and Prisma now) One of the first buildings in that area. Rounded on the corner looked like a space ship lit up at night when first built in the 80's.  I think the building is for sale or lease now.

Edited by vistatiger