Citrix Systems Downtown Raleigh

RALNATIVE

I'm surprised that no one has posted on this topic yet. This is actually a huge coup for Raleigh, especially the CBD. With Red Hat moving it's HQ downtown, this new development really could position downtown Raleigh as the hottest technology center on the east coast, which would mean more very well paying jobs. Being in high tech, I realize the value of having Citrix here.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/06/07/2119504/citrix-systems-to-create-337-high.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is big news. I thought about posting something if they had actually announced *where* in downtown they were gonna be. Was kinda hoping for some big announcement like Charter Square or something.....but.....

The Independent weekly is now speculating Warehouse District, which seems kinda odd to me. But there definitely is the vacant space there. Hmmm.

I like the idea of Citrix, 5/3 Bank, and a hotel (plenty of demand left after the modest Residence Inn proposal) getting together to get a new project started. Charter Square makes sense, since the the foundation and below-grade section is already completed. And sounds like Citrix is under a deadline to add the new jobs within the next year or two - so they would definitely need the space soon.

Grocery store on the ground level???

Man...I read the article in the paper really fast and missed the most important piece about them moving downtown. This is huge and just the other day was talking with jojo about how downtown advocates need to stop coddling the companies whose employees all live in the 'burbs and instead focus on companies who employees want to live and be downtown. I personally would be ok with State government moving to say North Hills and turning the State complex over to say Apple :D, if they would move here, just because I know probably like 1% of State employees actually venture away from the cafeterias in their buildings. Lame. Anyway....you get my point....

Well i'm very excited about this development for the obvious reasons, but also as a downtown property owner, i'm hoping that this will help boost downtown condo values. Having Citrix and Red Hat downtown, especially if Citrix selects a site in the Warehouse District, will hopefully drive condo sales north.

The Indy says it might mean the demise of the full Union Station project as planned -- if anyone really thought that the full Union Station project would be built anytime soon. I didn't. Mayor Meeker was guilty of irrational exuberance on that one.

But the Phase I replacement of the Amtrak station by a renovated Dillon building could still be done. Phase I is badly needed just to serve the trains we have today. So far as I know there is no alternative plan for Phase I.

The Southeast High Speed Rail project that would use subsequent phases of Union Station is still awaiting over a billion dollars of funding. As long as Republicans control at least one side of the US Congress, there is zero chance that SEHSR will be funded. The other potential use of the full Union Station project is commuter trains from Clayton/Selma/Goldsboro, Knightdale/Wendell/Zebulon, and Durham/Hillsborough. Given the political outlook for the NC General Assembly, those trains look unlikely as well. Triangle light rail might go forward regardless, but I don't see full-size commuter trains unless NCDOT and NCGA kick in.

Here are the facts from Amtrak.

Annual boardings at Raleigh:

2010: 164,745

2011: 192,434

The trend is clearly up. I don't have numbers from before that but you can probably pull them from Amtrak's website somewhere. Raleigh has the highest ridership for any station south of Richmond, besides New Orleans. It benefits tremendously from proximity to the Northeast Corridor and trains that have a pretty useful schedule for travel in all directions. Even the "worst" schedule which is the southbound Silver Star, coming through at about 9pm, is great for a sleeper ride to Florida (i've done it before and it's a really nice ride.)

Good lord thats over 500 a day average. I had no idea it was that much. This sort of thing needs to be sold in the media to drum up support for all forms of rail coming out of and through Raleigh. Regarding Citrix, even if they use that building, I think it's easy enough to tinker with the stops so that union station will function about the same...

With Red Hat and Citrix planning to bring significant numbers of employees downtown, the city had better start seriously considering plans for better mass transit. Needless to say that downtown parking and traffic will become a nightmare if mass transit doesn't improve.

Wow. I suspected a trend of more and more people frequently commuting/traveling via Amtrak between DC and Raleigh and NYC and Raleigh. It seems to be commonplace to have a lot of back and forth between the corridor cities.

Given the schedules of the two trains that run north, I would be surprised if there was any real commuter traffic. There is however substantial commuter traffic between Raleigh, Greensboro and Charlotte. My experience has been that about half the commuters are college students.

If it was my plan...

1. Renovate the existing 55k sq ft warehouse at 120 S West St for current Citrix needs. (over the next few months)

2. Tear down the 22k sf building at 110 S West St & the Men-at-Work car care center. (over the next few months)

3. Design and construct new ~15 story mixed use building for the North end of the property where buildings were demo'd. Building would have enough office space for future Citrix needs (100k sf) + Cherokee offices + some space for other tech companies. Top floors would be apartments. (2014 completion?)

4. Citrix moves to new office space, renovate 120 S West St warehouse to have a Piggly Wiggly grocery store.

Some preservation, some new dense construction, enough space for new company, new residents to the area, and a grocery store.

Thats definitely the sort of approach that is needed Green Man. The warehouse district will need some mixed-use buildings and will need to go upward in a few places. Tearing everything down for stations was never the best plan IMO. Like a massive highway interchange, what good is it if you knock down everywhere there was for people to actually go to.....

Anyway, this is essentially looking like a perfect scenario. The warehouse district is the next frontier downtown as it's been totally underutilized (paralyzed like the article said) for over a decade now.

I think you've confused two different vacant Dillon Supply buildings.

One, the Citrix building, is on the NW corner of West and Martin.

The other, the Train Station building, is on Martin Street north of the wye.

The Tiger grant and the Citrix thing are completely unrelated.

• 1 month later...

Citrix is one of the most transformational projects in modern Raleigh history. It has the opportunity to precipitate true urban vitality and development in an entire center city district. It will be exciting to see it develop.

I agree and that is why I am very psyched about this project. I live a block from this site and am hoping that it will bring lots of good things to the hood.

Archived