Notes On Moving To The City

MTSUBlueraider86

I am officially an East Nashville resident as of June 1st. I am completely moved in, albeit not will all of the new furniture I want, but that will come in time. William, Ron, and Gary stopped by to see the place and it meets with their approval!

I am impressed with the restaurant scene, the historic architecture, and overall vibe of the area. Bellevue had become a dead, barren wasteland of bad architecture, dilapidated surface parking lots, non-descript buildings, no walkability, and fast food restaurants. The East Side is so vibrant and full of promise.

The skyline view from my balcony is terrific and the panoramic view from the shared use deck is unbelievable. This got me thinking of a few things.

As people drive by on the I-65 interstate, I wondered if we will ever have the iconic skyscraper that literally jumps out at them while they are driving by.

After all Mobile, AL. with a population of 198,000 has a tower of 750 feet! Nashville does not have a tower that even comes close. Now, I don't want this thread to be one of tall versus short. We have flogged that horse ad nauseam. No need to resurrect that debate.

It seems with the exception of Tony Giaratanna, developers and architects have fallen back into the 10-20 story range for buildings downtown. No one wants to even consider 30+ stories anymore. Now, I understand the economics of it, and I understand we are not Atlanta or Charlotte, however; land use management is essential going forward, and Hyatt building a 13 story building is simply as waste of land resources. 20 stories should be the requirement for new construction downtown. We must make better use of our land.

I am excited to be within walking distance of downtown, and I certainly look forward to the building that will be built next to us over the next two or three years. The density along Main Street will happen. The naysayers are slowly dying away and new life with the new urban youth is springing forward. I am so impressed with some of the young people in our building. Although there are many in the over 40 age group, the under 30 group is so incredibly positive! They see the suburbs as a type of death and isolation. We have already started creating a community in our building. I have met more neighbors in one week that I met in months in my old suburban neighborhood.

I look forward to a 700 foot tower coming in my lifetime, hopefully. Since the Bellsouth/ATT tower was completed almost two decades ago, nothing has approached it since. I look forward to watching it rise from my balcony.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, on your move away from suburbia. I plan to join the movement back to the city within two years. Tony's 505 at chruch street will hopfully be the tall center building we are looking for but, the wild card could be a new hotel south of Broadway.

Here is a link to the resident party. The pano at the end is off of the community deck. I have the view from the Snodgrass tower South, and I also have the view of the East Nashville churches. At some point I will host the forum meet at my place, we can sit on the community deck and the photogs like Daniel and Ron can snap away.

Looking out my window deck, I can see everything including the Snodgrass tower south and east.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151034430605460&set=a.10151034429815460.497985.318496570459&type=1&theater

Here is a link to the resident party. The pano at the end is off of the community deck. I have the view from the Snodgrass tower South, and I also have the view of the East Nashville churches. At some point I will host the forum meet at my place, we can sit on the community deck and the photogs like Daniel and Ron can snap away.

Looking out my window deck, I can see everything including the Snodgrass tower south and east.

http://www.facebook....&type=1

Might need to be a beer meet more than a coffee meet ;-)

Archived