arcturus

Creston Neighborhood

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

Throw Back Monday - 1747 Plainfield NE.   Built in 1958, and expanded in 1963, Daane's ran this location till Dave Daane and Sy VanderKooy leased the space to Damico Foods in the 1970s.   It's now the home of Little Lucy's Cafe.  The building and Cafe are owned by the Vander Kooy family. 

On another note, Danne's also purchased and ran a former A&P store at the Leonard/Fuller Plaza till the 1980s, when Sy VanderKooy bought Danne's out, opening Sy's Market.   Sy's sold to Family Fare, which still runs that location today.   

IIRC Sy's split off from Daane's, because Sy only took over a couple of Daane's stores.  I remember when the 44th/Breton Daane's converted to a Sy's (now Horrocks), and newer Daane's on 60th/Kalamazoo was still in business a few more years, along with the one in Cascade.  I think the two companies sold to Spartan (ie Family Fare) at different times too.

Never had the pleasure of meeting Sy, but seeing Dave Daane working on the floor was a frequent occurrence - I was a kid, but I knew who he was.  Dave Daane was a big dude, always had his sleeves up.  Pushed carts around, bagged groceries, did work you'd normally see baggers doing.  Big personality, always said Hi to EVERYONE.  He was  a great guy.

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 1

I'm old enough to remember the original Daanes which was torn down and the lower portion of today's building was built.  It was expanded later with the 2 story portion.  I'm pretty sure the warehouse was on the 2nd floor after the addiction. Dave is the son of the original owner. Sy was a son-in-law. Dave nd Sy agreed to part ways thus Daanes and Sy's . My folks and later my mom traded at Leonard and Fuller. I had 2 cousins that worked for Sy until they reached retirement age. Sy was always hands on also. White apron and the paper butcher hat :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

I'm old enough to remember the original Daanes which was torn down and the lower portion of today's building was built.  It was expanded later with the 2 story portion.  I'm pretty sure the warehouse was on the 2nd floor after the addiction. Dave is the son of the original owner. Sy was a son-in-law. Dave nd Sy agreed to part ways thus Daanes and Sy's . My folks and later my mom traded at Leonard and Fuller. I had 2 cousins that worked for Sy until they reached retirement age. Sy was always hands on also. White apron and the paper butcher hat :)

I was a bagger and then stockboy at Sy's  Leonard/Fuller during my high school years in the late 80's.   Sy paid his employees well, and there was profit sharing for full-time employees.  It was said that at one point in time the store had the highest gross sales per square foot in the state.  Not sure if that was true, but that place was always busy.  On my last day of work before I took a job at a summer camp, the manager got pissed off and asked me to leave in the middle of my shift because I was in the parking lot while on the clock talking to my girlfriend.  :P    

You might remember my mother:) . Older lady, every week walked to the beauty shop next door about 1pm, had her hair done, then went to Sy's, putzed around  shopping, then called my sister to come pick her up for a ride home (gray Mercury Voyager IIRC) with the groceries. Stood outside if it was nice weather, inside if it was bad weather. Every Thursday, rain or shine. My cousins were Joy and Carol on the cash registers.

• Like 1