Creston Neighborhood

arcturus

C

Brewery set to open in one of my favorite vacant buildings in GR:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/04/creston_brewery.html

Hope they have a parking plan! :)

Creston has the best neighborhood buildings! There are some small towns that would kill for the urban landscape they have there. Glad to see that things are accelerating.

Cool building, cool idea and all.  However, I hate to say this but I think I may be starting to suffer a little brewery fatigue.

Once each neighborhood gets one.  Capacity has been reached.  As the colleges grow and younger residents move in.  The Breweries become the dive bars of the past.  Grand Rapids will see most of these breweries not looking for national distribution, but loyal consistent customers.

Once each neighborhood gets one.  Capacity has been reached.  As the colleges grow and younger residents move in.  The Breweries become the dive bars of the past.  Grand Rapids will see most of these breweries not looking for national distribution, but loyal consistent customers.

Exactly. All they are is a newer version of the old neighborhood pub, with most of them having no desire to become the next Founders. There are literally thousands of neighborhood pubs/dive bars in Kent County. 16 or 17 of them happen to make their own beer. 

Some will probably fail. 4/5's of small businesses fail in the first 5 years. It's just the nature of starting a business. 

Doubly exactly.  How many corner coffee shops want to be the next Starbucks?  Or restaurants want to be the next Chipotle?  The neighborhood burger/pizza and beer joint.  Not Anheuser-Busch.

WZZM reported the outcome of the planning commission meeting. Most of the story revolved around the LINC development on Eastern.  The Creston parking reduction was mentioned in the last sentence of the story.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/grand-rapids-south/2015/04/23/linc/26264355/

Edited by Gorath

Cool building, cool idea and all.  However, I hate to say this but I think I may be starting to suffer a little brewery fatigue.

In regard to several people's comments about over saturation, I offer this:

Asheville NC, the city we typically competed with for the title "Beer City USA," has a population of 85,000 and has 12 breweries in the City limits, all are surviving and doing quite well.  That's 1 brewery for every 7,000 people.  Once all of the breweries in GR that have been announced we will have 13 for 195,000 people.  We would need another 14 breweries to catch Asheville.

• Like 1

Asheville NC, the city we typically competed with for the title "Beer City USA," has a population of 85,000 and has 12 breweries in the City limits, all are surviving and doing quite well.  That's 1 brewery for every 7,000 people.  Once all of the breweries in GR that have been announced we will have 13 for 195,000 people.  We would need another 14 breweries to catch Asheville.

I like how this guy thinks. 

Asheville, Asheville, Asheville.

So if Asheville goes and jumps off a bridge, does that mean Grand Rapids should too?

:silly:

I'll tell you what we're saturated in, mattress stores.  How many of those does this town need?  Drive on 28th street from 96 to East Beltline and count them.  I'd trade everyone of them for a few more breweries.   

I agree with GRJohn. Every time I see a mattress store I want to torch it. May god have mercy on my soul for saying that. 

I don't feel that way about breweries. 

• Like 2

I'll tell you what we're saturated in, mattress stores.  How many of those does this town need?  Drive on 28th street from 96 to East Beltline and count them.  I'd trade everyone of them for a few more breweries.   

I'll have to wait and see the stats on how many mattress stores Asheville has before I would know if we have too many or not enough.

• Like 2

Long time Spartan Nash ex-executive is the new owner of Kingma's, with plans to add second store elsewhere:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/05/ex-spartannash_vp_downsizes_wi.html

"Everybody talks about a downtown store. This is a downtown store for the downtown community," said Hartline. "It's a seven-minute drive."

Nope, a few miles up Plainfield is not DT. But there's a lovely opening at Division & Wealthy where your expansion plans would fit right in.

• 2 weeks later...